Artifact303 - Back To Space

Penzoline

Jeez man, I've been trying to get my head around writing a review for this beast for months now but you just said it all. You and Penzoline. I rest my case.

I was right there with you. I've been listening to it for quite some time, but couldn't put my thoughts together. It's such a great release with almost no flaws that it's difficult to describe. Finally just put it on and let the review write itself.

Mdk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The album is worth it for Magnetic FieldsTropical Sunset, Mysterious Fantasy, Beyond Lightspeed, Close Encounter, and Delirium.

It's less memorable because of two to three tracks, mainly Transmissions and to some degree, They Will Communicate (followed by For A Better World) IMO. As you've probably read throughout the thread, the album rebounds from Track 5 forward (though I agree, that should have closed the album, and it's all one high after another from there.

Did the artist blank with Track 2 and to some degree Tracks 3+4 that have some great elements but are not great as a whole?? I wish these songs were replaced with stronger ones.

Once Tropical Sunset begins, the album becomes more elaborate, unique, distinct, (taking chances?), catchy, and memorable. I love albums that get better as they progress and despite a few less-than-stellar tracks early on, Back to Space becomes one of those strong Goa albums IMO.

So yeah, this is one of my favorite Suntrip (and overall modern GOA) releases despite a few shortcomings.

• 1 year later...

Last summer I started to appreciate Trancemission and They Will Communicate a lot more, from the former being a totally stellar track and the latter ranking up as a summer track. The first track is still a little cheesy though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just yesterday I listened again to this album and without a doubt it's the best piece of goa trance for me ever made.

Its variety of sounds and warm and hypnotic feeling make it still stand out.

Zsolt, when will the second one come out? :)

He's got 5 tracks ready coming out on that Global Sect release which keeps getting delayed.

If they're the ones he played at Balkan Goa Fanatics, it's goa but with a darker, more chuggy bassline. Quite psychedelic.

Thanks for the info! Just dug and found this link here https://soundcloud.com/globalsect/sets/va-the-mystery-of-crystal

"Life Support System" sounds fantastic!!

• 1 month later...

Artist: Artifact303

Release: Back To Space

Year: 2011

Label: Suntrip Records

Cat-#: SUNCD22

Rating: 4.5/5.0

Tracklist:

1) Magnetic Fields

2) Trancemission

3) They Will Communicate

4) For A Better World

5) Tropical Sunset

6) Mysterious Fantasy

7) Beyond Lightspeed

8) Close Encounter

9) Delirium

Epic. Grande. Soundscapes that certainly propels you back into space. I'm probably not the first to glean the AP hommage on this album (I see I guessed correctly), the Astral sound is everywhere and They Will Communicate is simply Nilaya in disguise. But it is really really well done this stuff. Every sound is at the right place, no odd "nutty" effect out of place or piping in at the completely wrong moment. Just a solid well thought out album that takes you on a really grande ride.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The word that best describes this album is "meh". Didn't have a single "Wow... YEAH! This is good!" moment throughout the whole album. Definitely not my cup of tea.

• 1 year later...

It's the closest thing to my definition of a perfect newschool goa album I've heard so far. Spacey, warm, melodious in a good way, diverse but still consistent. I really like the work on the melodies, for me they hit the right spot being catchy and memorable but still trancey, hypnotic and not overly cheesy. At first I thought that it may be lacking some peak moments but then I realised that the "peak moments" of the kind I love in other music may totally ruin the flow here, and frankly a melody or an acid line which plays a secondary role in any of the tracks from here could be a peak moment in a track of even a whole album by some other artists. 

Beyond Lightspeed may be the weakest track here (to much newschool cliches of the kind I don't like) but still decent in itself, and the last two minutes totally save it. 

Not recommeded to people looking for evil, acidic monsters, but for me its the long awaited positive answer to a question "can goa made in 2010's be as good as classic Astral Projection"

My overall rating: 6/6.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 27.04.2017 at 12:44 PM, recursion loop said:

Beyond Lightspeed may be the weakest track here (to much newschool cliches of the kind I don't like) but still decent in itself, and the last two minutes totally save it. 

Interesting how the perception changes, now it's one of my favourite tracks here. It does have a bit ponitless part in the second half before the final climax, but these groovy acid lines in the first part and the dramatic melody in ending are beyond any awesomeness. On the other hand, the last two tracks are now sounding to me a bit weaker than the rest, they have some cool acid textures and nice melodies but compared to the rest they seem a bit directionless, like they were made of the parts that hadn't made it into the other tracks. 

Anyway, the album is a real masterpiece, every time I'm listening to it I hear something new.

• 2 years later...

A fine debut album here, demonstrating an impressive level of maturity and diligence: it is immediately apparent that a lot of thought and practice has gone into each track as they are all well-structured and feature harmonious sounds that have been carefully pruned and edited to fit together well and hence create a floaty atmosphere and effect. If the artist's intention (always problematic to ascertain) is indeed to create an aural space voyage, then the album succeeds triumphantly. On the down side, the artist is fairly obviously a big Astral Projection fan, and at times I found myself wondering who put on the AP track I had never heard before. At one level, this is high praise. At another level, the album is for sure derivative, and more could have been done to sculpt a more unique sound and identity. Nevertheless, this is a minor caveat, because this is undoubtedly a good album and significantly better than many nu Goa efforts. Indeed, I'm hoping to hear more from this talented artist and take another trip back to space. ~*~ 

• Like 2