What is wrong with Neogoa?

Procyon

A little off-topic, but culturally interesting: Elysium has a point in associating the word NEO with the nazis. During WW2, the so called Neuordnung (new order), was part of the ocupation policy. Also interesting is that the legendary British band - I recommend the Technique album for those who don't know them - took their name from the German word. But they were never associated with the Nazi. I think Elysium somehow, unconsciously, associated the word NEO with the nazis - he must have read this somewhere.

Thats gonna be Nazysium :lol:

Just do it old school :)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with elysium here. neogoa reminds me instantly of neonazis (being the most common word with the neo-prefix over here) everytime i read the word. i like the term newschool, simply because it sounds fresh and exciting ;), but i'm equally happy with just calling it goa. but hasn't this whole terminology debate already been done to death a few years ago?

Apologies for my irresponsible comment about Blue Room. For some reason I was thinking more about the small number of releases I think were weird (Alien, Montauk P, Sunkings) than the majority of their releases which were very accessible to a large market.

I think calling the genre neogoa just sounds silly, but I also think (no offense) that associating 'neo' with nazis is equally silly. :P

I call it goa trance. That's what it is. If I have to describe it to someone in comparison to oldschool goa, I refer to it as the goa trance revivalist movement. The point here is that it's still goa trance; even if it isn't everything we want it to be.

I don't know about you, but I don't want see revolution in goa trance.

I just want to see people who make goa trance in full spectra of it's sound, not only AP-clone style. That's all. And my wishes are transforming into reality right now :excl:

And I hear something new, what I have never heard before, sometimes! So it's really good time for this music. Not gold time when was tons of releases every year, but pretty good.

Which is why we need more Erta Alé. Extremely fine-tuned music with layers of complexity, psychedelia and a darker sound. I crave it more everyday, but since cronomi is the only label doing it.. :(

Which is why we need more Erta Alé. Extremely fine-tuned music with layers of complexity, psychedelia and a darker sound. I crave it more everyday, but since cronomi is the only label doing it.. :(

Even Erta Ale ain't as dark, intense or eerie as some old school Goa tracks.

I'm still waiting for something like this

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyIf93sVAo

New darker goa with much acids:

http://soundcloud.com/imbagoa/tokyo-old-school

Some slowly harder goa:

http://soundcloud.com/imbagoa/ghost-town

Here is some really old school track that reminds me on Ushuaya:

http://soundcloud.com/imbagoa/jikooha-vega-space-elves-rmx

Nothing ussual as today because i dont like to follow some standards, just doing our style that i like :)

Dark new goa-trance is indeed inexistant. Simply because nobody makes it (there are more labels willing to release it for sure)

There was an interesting ep a few days ago though: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61557-kuro-zombie-family-ep/page__pid__977456#entry977456

I said my point before... With Suntrip I/We are simply looking for goa-trance we like... old/new, we don't care, we just want to pick quality music. I know some of the releases after 2000 were simply breathtaking (at least for me) which are as good as the "old" releases... I would even think some of the releases released after 2000 would be top hits if they were released in 1995...

But ok, conclusion: don't place music into categories, just listen to it and like it or not... And don't listen with a not objective mind to music (aah, this is new goa-trance, this must be bad) because you will like the cd 20% less... For me there is no "new" or "old" goa-trance... There is simply goa-trance. A kind of 4/4 dance music that exists out of melodies and psychedelic effects! :)

ps: Neo linking with nazis is too crazy for words, I am half German, and even I link neo with architecture! You have neo-gothic, neo-renaissance, neo-romanesque,... Ah well

For me the classification of psy/goatrance is phenomenologically based. It either works, and is conducive to being high, or doesn't. Most noticeably when on heroic doses, certain tracks/artists sound more interesting/resonant than others.

The clearest example was listening to Ott on DMT and it sounded shit, whilst as soon as Mystical Experiences by TIP replaced it, the mood utterly changed, and was conducive to the experience, which was an observation shared with others present. It certainly wasn't what I expected, as Ott had sounded pretty amazing in a stoned headset.

I guess really for me, the music is phenomenologically/experiencially based, rather than by labels, and tags which have just led to me to be disappointed.

Someone earlier in the thread said about "no rules", how about "no labels" which seems more psychedelic than calling it goa or whatnot.

Yeah, cronomi do awesome job. Btw, did you see it? Is it darker sound goa for you? Is it really 2010? I have strong feeling I have heard it before.

So here are results, took some time to sort all out (Somazoid's newschool list helped a lot)

FULL LIST here: http://goo.gl/XDXgc

*** - unofficial

** - remastered

* - re-release

STATISTICS:

Total number of releases: 149

Total number of albums: 62

Total number of compilations: 47

Total number of EP's: 40

Total number of FREE releases: 55

2011: 20 releases [8 Albums / 4 Compilations / 8 EP's]

2010: 42 releases [11 Albums / 14 Compilations / 17 EP's]

2009: 31 releases [14 Albums / 13 Compilations / 4 EP's]

2008: 20 releases [9 Albums / 6 Compilations / 5 EP's]

2007: 16 releases [6 Albums / 5 Compilations / 5 EP's]

2006: 10 releases [7 Albums / 2 Compilations / 1 EP]

2005: 5 releases [4 Albums / 1 Compilation]

2004: 3 releases [2 Albums / 1 Compilation]

2003: 2 releases [1 Album / 1 Compilation]

I am another veteran who disliked Infected Mushroom from track one.

I always had this insight that they were big s**t, and they could stink badly.

Amen, Brother.

Correct me if I am wrong. Does IM seem to encapsulate the worst part of the psytrance sound?

So here are results, took some time to sort all out (Somazoid's newschool list helped a lot)

FULL LIST here: http://goo.gl/XDXgc

*** - unofficial

** - remastered

* - re-release

STATISTICS:

Total number of releases: 149

Total number of albums: 62

Total number of compilations: 47

Total number of EP's: 40

Total number of FREE releases: 55

2011: 20 releases [8 Albums / 4 Compilations / 8 EP's]

2010: 42 releases [11 Albums / 14 Compilations / 17 EP's]

2009: 31 releases [14 Albums / 13 Compilations / 4 EP's]

2008: 20 releases [9 Albums / 6 Compilations / 5 EP's]

2007: 16 releases [6 Albums / 5 Compilations / 5 EP's]

2006: 10 releases [7 Albums / 2 Compilations / 1 EP]

2005: 5 releases [4 Albums / 1 Compilation]

2004: 3 releases [2 Albums / 1 Compilation]

2003: 2 releases [1 Album / 1 Compilation]

Do you know if Youtube Records releases are in these numbers? I take, say, Siam as an example of an artist that releases his tracks on youtube, only.

Even Erta Ale ain't as dark, intense or eerie as some old school Goa tracks.

I'm still waiting for something like this

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyIf93sVAo

From what I have researched, the majority of "Goa" artists have disappeared. And if an artist does still exist, they no longer produce Goa trance. So, if you are waiting for a re-emergence of Goa Trance, I think your wait is in vain.

From what I have researched, the majority of "Goa" artists have disappeared. And if an artist does still exist, they no longer produce Goa trance. So, if you are waiting for a re-emergence of Goa Trance, I think your wait is in vain.

With respect, this whole thread is about aspects of the re-emergence of the Goa Trance sound, which everyone else writing here seems to take for granted is actually happening, if in some small way and gradually over a period of years. And it seems obvious to me that the majority of people writing music in any genre of music will no longer be doing so 12-15 years later. I don't know if what we do nowadays would be called Goa Trance, but then not all of our output in the 90s would be recognisable now to people who only have a small, well-defined pigeonhole in their heads labelled 'Goa Trance'. But there is most definitely a direct connection for us between the music we write nowadays and the music we wrote back then.

Psy/GoaArtistAndDJColinOOOD1993