What is wrong with Neogoa?

Procyon

Do enlighten us. It's pretty pointless to make these type of claims without giving any examples.

Sorry, made the post this morning and couldn't remember the name of the V/A I was thinking of. I'll edit it in to this post once I find it in my cd collection. I really can't remember the name of the V/A... that doesn't look good :mad: ... I know it's not that uncommon and has been references as neo goa on isratrance a bit(which is the most vague description ever, I realise).

But yeh, generally with suntrip records and stuff... the music feels like it has no soul and isn't that trippy. Like it's atmospheric and euphoric... but goa trance was the combination of EBM and acid techno into a trance form... and the newschool/neo goa from suntrip seems to contain elements of neither.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But yeh, generally with suntrip records and stuff... the music feels like it has no soul and isn't that trippy. Like it's atmospheric and euphoric... but goa trance was the combination of EBM and acid techno into a trance form... and the newschool/neo goa from suntrip seems to contain elements of neither.

Actually, some of the E-Mantra stuff does. The track "Shamanistic Rituals" has the 242-Moldavia vibe in the bassline.

Also, the Neue Deutsche Welle track on the latest SBK album was fantastic.

Actually, some of the E-Mantra stuff does. The track "Shamanistic Rituals" has the 242-Moldavia vibe in the bassline.

Yeh I didn't mind the one e mantra track I'd heard, I haven't heard his album though. Even still, it's not oldschool quality.

Don't know if this is what Darkarbiter had in mind, but his comment makes me think of the Kiriyama album.

Can't express my gratitude for point at this Gem. I wrote short review to express little part of my feelings about this album. Do you know distribution place on web where it is still available to buy?

After this I can be sure. There is nothing wrong with "neo-goa" and new psy in general. :lol:

There is nothing wrong with "neo-goa" and new psy in general. :lol:

Yes there is. The names you just used :)

Remove that annoying "Neo" and "New" too. It's just Goatrance and Psytrance. No need to invent new sub genres here :)

Remove that annoying "Neo" and "New" too. It's just Goatrance and Psytrance. No need to invent new sub genres here :)

Exactly. If we are going to call stuff "neo" or "new" what is the exact cutoff date? Music is always evolving, and like biological evolution it's a slow and gradual process.

:huh:

Hey Elysium,

According to "Discgogs.com," the genre is Electronic and the styles(sub-genres) are Goa Trance and Psytrance. However, I like your advice, "No need to invent new sub-genres here... " Because if you really think about it, Goa-trance and Psy-trance are made up, as well. We have taken the word trance and added a new prefix to form a different style. You already know how I feel about Psy and Goa.

I do think that there is a point when we do need to invent a new sub-genre, however. Would you agree that music is a language? I will assume that you do agree. The language of music maybe universal. However, we don't communicate with music as we do with English, right? Of Course. But we do speak, read, and write about music in English. The entanglement of Music and English is when we use words to describe sounds. As humans, we are constantly in the process of pattern recognition. This is how our brain is able to make sense of things. Have you ever recognized someone, yet you forgot their name? Of Course, we all have. In order to remember, we usually ask a mutual friend. But it can be very difficult to find the right description to cause him to recognize the person. And even then, your friend may know who you are talking about, but he is not be able to remember the person's name, either. Can you imagine if we didn't have names? We would have to do this all the time. I am sure this is why we name different types of music. We name music to relate it to others. This relationship that we have with music is highly personal. And, I am sure that most of your friends have similar tastes in music. I know that my taste or distaste of different music has caused me to meet many different people. This website is a great example.

Now, I have refined those tastes to a point where it may close me off to new music. But, I am pretty sure that you couldn't convince me to like any happy hardcore track. And I don't care if it is new, it sucks. If you are able to coerce me into listening to it, and I do like it. It is not happy hardcore. You know what I am saying?

No offense to anyone reading this, but I don't think I could be in a relationship with someone who didn't have similar tastes in music as I do. You would have to wear headphones all the time.

And for this reason, I think that when a substantial amount of a type of music is released, and it is easily distinguished from any other type of music, it does warrant a new name. And, that is exactly why I am so utterly bewildered with the having Goatrance and Psytrance. There is not an easily distinguishable difference.

Why do we have two names for the same type of music? Now, we are making sub-genres from them, WTF?

BTW, if there is a substantial difference between the two, please link me one of your goatrance tracks and one of your psytrance tracks, so I can understand. :wacko:

Thank you!!!!:D

STOP! When did EBM come to describe Industrial? I used to listen to Meat Beat Manifesto and Front 242. They were my some of my favorites back in 1993-1994. I even worked at Wherehouse Records and EBM did not exist. But amazingly F242 and MBM existed.

Electronic Body Music??? WTF? :lol:

Can't express my gratitude for point at this Gem. I wrote short review to express little part of my feelings about this album. Do you know distribution place on web where it is still available to buy?

After this I can be sure. There is nothing wrong with "neo-goa" and new psy in general. :lol:

See you and Elysium both did it without knowing. This thread is about Neogoa.(see the top of the page). How did you transform that into things? And Elysium how did you carry on this?

I hope most of us understand what's neo-goa stands for. It's just short name for "goa trance sound of the new millenium". Here is some kind of explanation.

Even there is label / info-site about such things with same name. neogoa.tk

Why do I use it? Just because it's name of topic and because shorter to say that. Just to make things easier.

On goa-label sites you can see in official description "new school goa". I don't know why elysium bring this question again and again.... :lol:

If you like to name it just goa, go ahead :)

But then we can miss point of this thread. And confuse each other even more.

I don't know why elysium bring this question again and again.... :lol:

Because IMO "neo" is a horrible name that make me think about 2nd world war. I know it got nothing to do with 2bd world war but I can't help it :)

...Blue Room went out of business not because of the 'weirdness' they released. ... They went out of business because music industry - especially electronic - the 'now' lasts only a few years, or months.

Pardon the slight off-topic; I haven't finished reading the thread but I wanted to correct a misapprehension here. According to what I was told at the time, Blue Room the psytrance label went out of business because B+W, their parent company, pulled their funding due to the extravagant advances Simon was paying his acts, which were not in proportion to the sales their releases were making. There is no reason for a business of any kind to fail if it can adapt to a changing market.

Please, carry on presenting your opinions as if they are facts :)

Pardon the slight off-topic; I haven't finished reading the thread but I wanted to correct a misapprehension here. According to what I was told at the time, Blue Room the psytrance label went out of business because B+W, their parent company, pulled their funding due to the extravagant advances Simon was paying his acts, which were not in proportion to the sales their releases were making. There is no reason for a business of any kind to fail if it can adapt to a changing market.

Please, carry on presenting your opinions as if they are facts :)

Thanks OOOD for this information. I stand corrected. Anyway, BR went out of business for monetary reasons, not for the quality of their releases - which, by the way, are gorgeous to this day.

I hope most of us understand what's neo-goa stands for. It's just short name for "goa trance sound of the new millenium". Here is some kind of explanation.

Even there is label / info-site about such things with same name. neogoa.tk

Why do I use it? Just because it's name of topic and because shorter to say that. Just to make things easier.

On goa-label sites you can see in official description "new school goa". I don't know why elysium bring this question again and again.... :lol:

If you like to name it just goa, go ahead :)

But then we can miss point of this thread. And confuse each other even more.

I once again, have to agree. It's so clear when I read "a goa trance album" and "a neogoa trance album" - to me, they are distinct entities. They are relatives, living in different cities.

Because IMO "neo" is a horrible name that make me think about 2nd world war. I know it got nothing to do with 2bd world war but I can't help it :)

Neo just means, something old that's been lost and is tried again, but with quite different roots. Which is quite accurate to describe the newschool stuff.

I once again, have to agree. It's so clear when I read "a goa trance album" and "a neogoa trance album" - to me, they are distinct entities. They are relatives, living in different cities.

Actually, that's pretty much good description :)

Neo just means, something old that's been lost and is tried again, but with quite different roots. Which is quite accurate to describe the newschool stuff.

I know what it means but I still think (and apparently I am not the only one) that it sound awful. And to me personally it sound like some Nazi SS name.

As I said before there is no need to make new sub genres. Just call it Goatrance. And after all that is what the artist in mind want to sound like a anyways ;)

Thanks OOOD for this information. I stand corrected. Anyway, BR went out of business for monetary reasons, not for the quality of their releases - which, by the way, are gorgeous to this day.

I also like to add that there was very little "weirdness" to Blue Room's releases. They released the big household names (Etnica, KoxBox, Juno Reactor etc.) and the music was far from being weird.

Neo just means new in latin.

Perhaps Retro-Goa would be a better name for these pastiche "artists"

The monetary reasons were nothing to do with their sales - I may be wrong but my memory is of Blue Room being one of the biggest-selling trance labels of the time due to its marketing and the sheer quality of acts on the label - but to an 'interesting' management style.

Neo just means new in latin.

Perhaps Retro-Goa would be a better name

Actually I like it! :) Will it be retro-goa for me, until I will be so innovative, like Kiriyama did in his album. I have tried this music at night. It's something special. :ph34r:

I think neo-goa can fit Alienapia's output.

A little off-topic, but culturally interesting: Elysium has a point in associating the word NEO with the nazis. During WW2, the so called Neuordnung (new order), was part of the ocupation policy. Also interesting is that the legendary British band - I recommend the Technique album for those who don't know them - took their name from the German word. But they were never associated with the Nazi. I think Elysium somehow, unconsciously, associated the word NEO with the nazis - he must have read this somewhere.

The monetary reasons were nothing to do with their sales - I may be wrong but my memory is of Blue Room being one of the biggest-selling trance labels of the time due to its marketing and the sheer quality of acts on the label - but to an 'interesting' management style.

You are absolutely right. Simon invited Frank'e from KoxBox to go to Goa with him. All expenses and the ticket paid by Blue Room. I 100% understand why they decided to close down Blue Room Released. But maybe they should have fired Simon instead :)

You are absolutely right. Simon invited Frank'e from KoxBox to go to Goa with him. All expenses and the ticket paid by Blue Room. I 100% understand why they decided to close down Blue Room Released. But maybe they should have fired Simon instead :)

I was told the band got given cars as part of their advance for Dragon Tales.

Just some thoughts I want to share to you about creation process.

It's so interesting to analyze, how human mind works. I have never use patche every time I make new sound for project from scratch. But when it comes to final decision... It automatically become subject for judgment is it enough goanish??? <_<

Let's take take bass/kick for example, I did many times kick and bass like alienapia, or fullon-like but always consider it something not goanish, and remake it to something other. Only one time I did full-on like goa track, and I feel guilty for it!!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IbuQ71_hAU

I know If I'm Open Mind, I must be open minded :))) I have listen classic, rock, jazz, pop, and every electronic genre to remove my limits. But when I make goa-trance, some rules appear and sculpt my final product.

It's so strange, If I do IDM, I can use so many different techniques, but can't find proper usage for it when I do goa.

I have some taste and restrictions when I'm thinking about goa trance, because I have listened tons of oldschool CD's and EP's. And I produce loops and tweak them for my pleasure from 9x, always want to achieve some kind of "proper sound". But never try to copy somebody.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm think many artists of new school have same restrictions and that's main reason of why their output is some kind template-like?

And another thing, when I work on loop production with gear, I did not melodic, but groove and acid oriented stuff.

But when I start work in DAW, my output become much more melodic!!! It's so easy to make melodic stuff on computer, than to program 303 for example :D