Another daft darkpsy argument

Rotwang

Huh? Neither of the debates I linked were two years old. Both were on the first page of General. One was started on the third of May this year, the other was started on the 9th.

Yes my mistake I thought you had dragged up an older debate.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with any style of music you can expect 95% to be junk. The best darkpsy is not at all random; take Gappeq, Derango, Psykovsky, CPC, Atriohm, Furious, Ghreg On Earth, etc. Nothing random about these guys, nor will you find any particular emphasis on demons and such. To take one example, Ghreg On Earth has developed an extremely interesting cosmology, a kind of Clive Barkeresque universe of the psychedelic fantastic. His body of work has nothing in common with the stereotypical concept of darkpsy as expressed here, not if you're paying attention anyhow.

When you dip into the remaining 95% you will certainly find music that approximates the stereotype. Some of this can be explained by the unusually participatory culture of darkpsy: many of its most devoted fans also create the music. Remember, it was within darkpsy that a free music movement in psytrance first originated in any serious capacity. So yes, there is a lot of garbage out there with next to zero musical value--but this is not what the style should be judged on.

+1

#11 was a joke/irony

I know, and I'm not having a go at you for your post, but it nonetheless constituted "bringing it up" (notice that several other posts on the subject, from both sides of the argument, followed from yours).

and the 2nd one was an honest opinion where I acknowledged that there is good and bad dark psy (the bad also being the projects with the Wicca/Devil topic included).

I did not see myself add anything regarding Wicca or Devil references into the debate here.

Sure, I didn't mean to give the impression that you did.

Whereas you was the one bringing up the issue in a response to me that had nothing to do with what I was talking about

Again, I did not do so as a direct reaction to your post. I did so because it's relevant to the thread as a whole - note in particular that Basilisk was talking about the stereotype from which darkpsy suffers, and the devil/horror thing is a large part of that stereotype.

I really do dislike the satanic stuff, mainly because I think to myself while listening that the guy is degrading the genre with every sample :P

Having said that, Psyfactor did a tune called 666, and it's a stonker, oh and I love Cassandra's Nightmare, obviously (:

is devil music = bad music?

Not necessarily. Personally I don't agree with the political, religious or aesthetic views that would lead someone to put a picture of the devil on the cover of their CDs, but I can't deny that some of the music they make (e.g. Horror Place, Devil's Mind Records) is pretty good. It's just that IMO it's good despite the devil/horror stuff, not because of it.

Since random music and devil/satanic music is not neccesarily bad music, I don't take any offence when sombody postulates that music that I like is random or satanic. I acknowledge that much within the genre is bad, which helps me recognize the good stuff. I don't think that you will become a bad person og that it will give you "bad karma" if you listen to music with screams of a picture of a devil on the cover. Just like kids don't neccesarily kill people after playing violent videogames. When you completely write off the things you don't like or don't understand - thats called ignorance, and I don't think the psychedelic trance genre was created out of ignorance. I think it is based on spirituality, parties and open-mindedness. Many within the culture is very conservative and they find that only the old goa trance is valid, but I like to explore some of the newer stuff as well, be it darkpsy, progressive etc. Psychedelic trance contains so much good stuff that I can't listen to it all, and therefor I don't spend time arguing about the bad stuff or that it ruins the genre. I mainly come to this forum because I get so many great suggestions for good music and if I dont like some of it there is always something else I cant listen to. Believe me I feel sad to see some of the old artists create new music I don't like (GMS, infected, shpongle), but then there is soo many new artists that I can choose from.

Trance is my religion but I'm not going to jihad :)

Well a lot of it does have horror themes... to say no basis in reality is a bit much.

Certainly maybe 50% of it is traditional goa themes, space themes etc though.

Also, the whole devil thing in (darkpsy) music comes from the black metal scene liking levayan satanism... which in a nutshell is about how traditionally things like excess are seen as bad but they're really what's good in life. I don't see how that conflicts with traditional psy trance views.