Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: La Boum Vol. 2

Label: Blue Tunes Recordings

Date: February, 2011

1. NOK - Breaking Point (Vice remix)

2. Double Click - Tribal Waves

3. Symphonix - Orange (Interactive Noise remix)

4. DJ Fabio - That Voice

5. Ritmo - De Festa

6. Symphonix - Freq Box (Audiomatic remix)

7. NOK - Tricolore (Rocky remix)

8. Feuerhake - Wanna Be Free

9. Alon Brilant - Antiloop

To me Blue Tunes will forever be the younger brother to Iono music. Not because they are related or anything like that, but because Iono releases bomb after bomb and Blue Tunes...doesn't. They seem like a stripped down version that is more beat oriented. With TesseracT Studios pushing strongly to become a solid number 2, I fear that Blue Tunes will get lost in the shuffle. This is the 2nd release in the La Boum series or as I like to call it...Return of the Afro. It was compiled by veteran NOK so I'm assuming he knows what he's doing on this digital release. The first installment had some good moments but sh*t the bed as the compilation went on.

Breaking Point (Vice Remix)- Discogs says this project was Chris Limburg, but his name is crossed out. Soooo...either the project is no more or they murdered that guy. No idea who this is now, but he starts the compilation off with a gem. Bouncy beat with a thick atmosphere. Very large pads and it gives me the feel of smoke wafting down a long, dark corridor. Very nice. Chopped synths with great effects brings this one to a close. Sounds promising...

Tribal Waves- Clever name with a groove to match aaaaaaaand that's about it. I just listened to it 3 times and couldn't tell you one thing about it.

Orange Interactive (Interactive Noise Remix)- I don't think I have heard a single track by Hugo before this and well, I still haven't as he is remixing a Symphonix track. Here he brings a very deep bass line and some glitchy effects keeping the vibe simple. It sounds great as everything is pretty clear, and it's building to something. I like the twinkling percussive sounds and the uttered "Orange" but it leaves me wanting. Not bad, but a little empty.

That Voice-

Posted Image

"I can't believe it's not butter!"

Probably not the same guy, but if it is good for him for having his hand in a lot of pies. House through and through with a pillowy soft kick. Not a lot of stray sounds to keep your head into it, so I guess he went for the uncluttered approach. The beat is so heavy I can't help but tilting my head in time like those guys on SNL. Where have I heard this before...oh yeah, everywhere. Pass.

de Festa- Dubi was responsible for two of the best progressive albums of recent memory in my opinion with Disharmonic Silence and Archive 9. Sounds pretty massive with the banging and very thick pads. The banging sounds like a Xerox track, just can't remember which. Plenty of washes (and by plenty I mean a sh*tload) and sounds to keep you interested. He's workin the reverb right through the break as the synths get sliced. There is another break that is quite similar to the first, but he keeps his vibe going. And...he pulls the hat trick with a third short break. Pretty good track. If he knocked off 2 minutes I think it would be even better.

Freq Box (Audiomatic Remix)- This is Benjamin Halfmann from the Fatherland who released an album called Weekend Society this year, so he's a busy somebody. Track has some balls, with eerie effects over a simple bass line. Groove is on high as the break just seeps in. Nice. Floating synths dance an argeggio as a distorted lead flirts with a new bass line. Pretty epic before it starts from scratch, but you know...he can rebuild it. And he does, maintaining the atmosphere all the way. Good job.

Tricolore (Rocky Remix)-

Posted Image

Wow, he is looking old. Sure the roids didn't help....

But not that Rocky...I would imagine his track would sound more like a throwing a bag of kittens into a woodchipper. This is Roy Tilbor with another house beat to get the party started. I'm lookin for exits when I hear "We're in Heaven" because that tells me we are actually in hell. God this blows as he throws every cliche in the book at you. Cornball sample, unimaginative arpeggios...I'm 7 minutes in and wish I had a time machine.

Wanna Be Free- "Y...M..C-A!" That's what I hear in my mind with this beat. Purely house, but wait until the female vocal arrives. I feel like I should be in a club that caters to the transgendered. Hey, check that (guy? girl?) out over there...

Posted Image

is he/she vogueing? Sometimes I like the house thing, but this was uber simple and generic. Nothing appealing at all. Man this turd lost it's shine really quickly.

Antiloop- Anyone else see the humor in this being called "Antiloop" when it is exactly the opposite? The break near 4 and a half minutes (yes, and the wait was agonizing) gave a little bit of freshness to an otherwise limp-dicked effort. This is Suntree whos album Inside was spectacular. Leads me to believe that lots and lots of narcotics were used in the making of this crap. I think I will sing a song I would rather hear...

"Pass the dutchie pon de left hand side..."

Posted Image

Me too Joe, I don't know what the f*ck happened. Man this was Ambien at the click of a mouse. Sooooo boring. The tracks just loop for far too long and my mind wandered in almost every effort. Even when there was some variation it wasn't particularly exciting. Too often I began to wonder if there was laundry to do. Perhaps this was not meant to compete with the melodic progressive trance offerings and if so then, well it won't. People got bored with minimal because it was so f*cking minimal. That's how I felt here. Most of the tracks were supermodel thin and just as empty. Most definitely a download by track rather than a full album purchase. It makes me think this was a digital release because Blue Tunes knew it kinda blew and didn't want to waste money putting out a CD. I can't confirm that of course. If you are interested in songs that don't suck balls, try 1, 5, and 6.

JunoDownload

Mdk