How was dark-psy born?

Procyon

All these boxes are unfortunate. I separate by artist, not genre. A good artist often makes several genres or even plays instruments in bands and stuff...The genre thing is annotating after-the-fact about specific releases.

To put a human being in a box is only sometimes warranted (when they go into that box as their exclusive box, declare it their territory, and don't ever fit into other boxes.)

Basically, I've been disappointed by box-like-thinking across the festival social spectrum, and I've been surprised by open minds in "mainstream" contexts, so act psychedelic if you claim to be it = my take on it. I'll judge you by what you act like, lol...

But yeah, I've heard good and bad stuff for about 30 years now, but the funny thing is, despite the hype, there's some one-trick-pony's out there and you can tell that they are phony baloney ponies, not naming any names here... (cough cough, certainly no one using names from dead great composers. no hubris there)

But i've heard more than my fair share of "it's only the tonic note over and over" goa trance that is melodic for morons, just as I've heard my fair share of "but every sound is edgy, where is the contrast? sounds like razor-blade-spaghetti-bolognese"

Sorry, (engages polite-speak filter) I mean to say, there's gems in every box, you just only find like 1 a year, typically....

• Like 1

Sorry, back to the topic. "When first darkpsy?"  which is a question that totally ignores our EDM/industrial roots.
Dark was there since day 1. It's more a question of "when was the first not-naff melody created in techno-land" which I'll argue has yet to occur :P

Anyone complaining about Xenomorph song titles should look at some 80's Industrial album covers and read their lyrics. Besides Mark Petricks (I think?) interest/belief in Gnostic mysticism, there's the fact that the entire "counter-cultural" narrative of art since Rock-n-Roll is predicated on pointing out the actual devil worship of our Molochian system, see Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" (famous film)... we feed people, wildlife, and our entire planet to capitalism whole like a blood sacrifice.

So, back to the question, I remember loads before Xenomorph... of COURSE "night trance" had more than just gear noises going on back then, because trance as a genre wasn't split into 20 fragments. (Sandman "Witchcraft" being one epic album, UX Ultimate Experience, someone pointed out later stuff like Darshan, etc...)

I have my OWN pet theory that all this rave-genre-segmentation was deliberately exploited by various nations intel agencies in a sort of "Tower of Babel" concept piece, to keep us all from getting together and ruling the planet with peace love and acid :D   whaddya say? Fits a trancers overly-self-important view of trances role in the world, check...

Of course my better half knows that we are just cunty by nature...

Edited by fluorosis
i cannot leave oxford commas out. I don't care what the dictionary people say.
  • Confused 1

I have more conspiracy theories if you want to hear them :D
I had one the other day where cartels were deliberately paying large event organizers to book naff live-acts and popularize them so as to drive away all the sensible types and encourage the remaining lot to take dodgy powdered things and put them up their noses... nothing like bad music to drive you to hard drugs, lol

Edited by fluorosis
gotta have that D or it's powered and not powdered, lol
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, fluorosis said:

I have more conspiracy theories if you want to hear them :D
I had one the other day where cartels were deliberately paying large event organizers to book naff live-acts and popularize them so as to drive away all the sensible types and encourage the remaining lot to take dodgy powdered things and put them up their noses... nothing like bad music to drive you to hard drugs, lol

I assume you have read "Weird Scenes in Laurel Canyon" ? B)

Not so sure about the gnosticsim/occultism re. industrial my fave artists seemed more to be into science fiction, cyber, dystopian, war themes. Or just some babble about androids and nuclear wastelands...FLA comes to mind :D

But it can be argued this was more EBM and not much indus anymore...most REAL early industrial is even to weird for me...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

I assume you have read "Weird Scenes in Laurel Canyon" ? B)

Not so sure about the gnosticsim/occultism re. industrial my fave artists seemed more to be into science fiction, cyber, dystopian, war themes. Or just some babble about androids and nuclear wastelands...FLA comes to mind :D

But it can be argued this was more EBM and not much indus anymore...most REAL early industrial is even to weird for me...

good point, I've not read this book you speak of, but it sounds great, I'll have to read it.

ah. the thematic material of industrial and EBM lyrics, lol...

43 minutes ago, fluorosis said:

good point, I've not read this book you speak of, but it sounds great, I'll have to read it.

ah. the thematic material of industrial and EBM lyrics, lol...

Book is about the "creation" of the hippie scene by "Intel" and some earlier famous bands connected to it, most known case The Doors.. one of the goals was to divert form the growing anti vietnam protests also by promoting drugs ie "badmouthing" or black washing the protesters as drugged up crazies for the general population who might have caught on with the protests...But is a bit OT lol 

..so back to "industrial" music..

Well later with "Aggrotech" and "Darkelectro" it turned into mad mass murderers, killing, party, dance, cheese and horror themes, quite unfortunate together with the decline of musical quality (just check covers/lyrics by Suicide Commando, Agonoize or Combichrist).

39 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

Book is about the "creation" of the hippie scene by "Intel" and some earlier famous bands connected to it, most known case The Doors.. one of the goals was to divert form the growing anti vietnam protests also by promoting drugs.

But is a bit OT lol

Well later with "Aggrotech" and "Darkelectro" it turned into mad mass murderers, killing, party, dance, cheese and horror themes, quite unfortunate together with the decline of musical quality (just check covers/lyrics by Suicide Commando, Agonoize or Combichrist).

Ah yes, Armageddon Dildo and such.... I just see that as a natural pop music product for teutonic places.... a bit like the inevitability of Rammstein... back to that Laurel Canyon Conspiracy Book,  there's similar stories about The CIA and The Scorpions etc, but I digress...

One always has to wonder what cultural values one supports and which cultural values are being promoted by which art and which scenes.

I have seen numerous conspiracies that allege that basically the hippie psychedelic scene was deliberately washed with speed coke and heroin by forces (hells angels, mafia, etc) deliberately invited in by CIA and/or FBI operations, such AS MKUltra, but  our Laurel Canyon book author is an absolute expert at tying in ALL the little details to make his book nice, "bluebird = old code name for mkultra, david crosby, rich brat, coincidentally puts out song by that name!" etc... worthy of a ten-strip of acid contemplation, lol...  but still, quite a reach, funny book though.

I'd rather liked an old tale in which Elvis and Jim Morrison and such were all on this secret ranch in retirement after having played their acting roles...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluorosis said:

Ah yes, Armageddon Dildo and such.... I just see that as a natural pop music product for teutonic places.... a bit like the inevitability of Rammstein... back to that Laurel Canyon Conspiracy Book,  there's similar stories about The CIA and The Scorpions etc, but I digress...

You checked out the premise of the book quite fast LOL But too OT even if interesting topic...
A. Dildos never my fave, their comrades from Placebo Effect, X-Marks the Pedwalk, yelworC or even earlier Pitchfork were more my cup of tea, if we name the German scene. Still much of it was Skinny Puppy copycat. Which is a feat however in itself to manage that imho.:rolleyes: Haujobbs first was the prime album of the SP copy age, they later branched out to technoish/ambient/sountrack themes.. i know basically every album of this timeframe and musical area a walking wikipedia so too speak

Edit, I forgot about Calva Y Nada... here their club hit, total simple, but effective and atmospheric, I danced to that in the club with mostly strange black clothed people what seems an eternity ago

This is not at all OT, EBM/Indus is a main influence of Goa..

• Thanks 1