Virtuart - Time Cruncher EP

Trance2MoveU

Artist: Virtuart
Title: Time Cruncher EP
Label: Koyote Records
Date: 1996

A. Time Cruncher
B. Tetragrematon

I'm not feeling particularly funny today so I think I will just leave you with the facts. This is Olivier Abitbol who released an album called Drehkar back in '99 which I thought was highly underrated. I would call him old school and the way he makes his music supports this. He builds tracks slowly, adding layers linearly because well, he didn't have the luxury of relying on Cubase or Logic or whatever the software du jour is. As I have said before I missed out on the golden age of goa trance so I love finding old gems like this. I don't even know if he is still producing music, but he did deliver a track not so long ago for the Suntrip compilation Sundrops - Light In Motion.

Time Cruncher- This has to be one of if not the track Virtuart is known for. It begins with a floaty synth not unlike the soft, cold hum of machinery followed by some spoken French. The delicate synth lines dance lithely above the bass as a chopped up string sings forlornly. It's not a power track, but more of a drifting effort that takes you from cloud to cloud. You really get a sense of that when the strings attain a higher octave.

Tetragrematon- I had never heard this track before so this was an exciting prospect. The robotic voice utters something unintelligible as the flute seems...out of place. Another builder that combines leads in truly danceable fashion. Leads change sounds and melodies as they all keep to that goa vibe. You know where you can hear each new addition? The layers thicken the track and then there is a direction change. Moving from something dark towards perhaps hopeful. It's in a drifting style that shows us how it was done in the good old days.

I've heard more powerful goa and I have heard more chaotic and dark goa. This is very melodic and listener friendly. If you are fortunate enough to come across this EP I highly suggest picking it up for a slice of the good old days gone by.

Mdk

Yeah yeah !

Really like this artist, especially "Time Crucher" track, with Terminator 1 sample. :D

Totally in my style !! :P

It says :

>>> Sarrah Connor : "Qu'est-ce que l'on ressent quand on traverse le temps ?"

>>>> Kyle answers : "De la peur, de la souffrance... c'est un peu comme une naissance."

Wicked !!! :lol:

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Olivier is very much still making music, or was at least in 2008 when we both played at Khan Altay, he had a very good project called Sacred Tree Portal, very oldschool... I think he was talking with Suntrip too at that point, but now didn't hear from him in a long time, I hope the album comes out eventually... I too love his old stuff a lot! Also the Underhead tracks.

Guest D N H

One of the greatest EPs of all times. Both tracks drag the attention instantly and evoke so much mystical feelings with their builds up and their passages.

Time Cruncher is digitally released on 2 compilations i think, but Tetragrematon happens to be underrated. I hope we could see it in a compilation released like Zanchin.