Posted Image

Artist: Gido

Title: Indigo EP

Label: Blue Hour Sounds

Date: March, 2011

1. In Deep Space

2. Multi Dimension Reality

3. Spring Grooves

It has been a ridiculously busy morning; took the dog for her grooming appointment, did the grocery shopping, seeded parts of the backyard for grass, painted my son's letters that will go on the wall, had my pickup truck jumped, and now just put little man down for his nap. Whew! Homie needs some me time. I came across the Italian label Blue Hour Sounds (website here) a while ago when I did a Garden of Delights Review as well as one for the hardest artist name in the world for me to spell, Ianuaria. Both of those were a bit of allright, and so the saga continues with more of the "full spectrum" of EP's. All of the music is related to a color and inspired by that color eventually comprising the 7 colors of the rainbow. Looking at the site, it seems there is already some overlap. I know purple and indigo are different colors. I know this.

Kinda.

But I'm also quite sure that there are some other colors of the spectrum you coulda used. Red doesn't inspire? Neo didn't have that opinion. A nation of a billion communists would also disagree. Hell, this was a logo of one of the ultimate frisbee teams I played on

Posted Image

Just sayin.

Anyway, this label and their hippie philosophy employ Gido (Adomas Juozapavicius) and this is his first EP. When they aren't sitting in a f*cking drum circle or kicking around a hemp hackey sack, these guys are releasing some quality tunes.

Posted Image

No, no, no! Stay away from those kids you dirty hippies!

In Deep Space- Supremely psychedelic with a forest meets outer space vibe. The beat thumps as synths flow over each other in waves. Reverb and delay help with the shimmer as the leads intertwine in a cosmic dance. It's more of an effect driven type of melody than scales, but I just think that adds to the mystery and psychedelic nature. Nice.

Multi Dimension Reality- Well kick me in the nuts with a slightly goa soaked shoe! Someone spilled a bottle of patchouli and look what tumbled out. The break is filled with sounds to keep the ear busy, but more psychedelic than Wild Things does. Might've stepped on some toes there. Oh well, my rectum's opinion is as good as anyone's. It's another example of no real lead melody, but a combination of several little ones built around the rampaging bass line and kick. It started to get a little monotonous however so I think they need to get back to that dry erase board and brainstorm.

Spring Grooves- Wow, more thumping kicks and echoing sounds. The only constant is that bass line as the synths appear and then fade. And that is basically all it is, effects with reverb while small leads dance over the bass. Still liked it though.

It's a nice little EP with a bunch of psychedelia. I imagine it would work very well for hallucinating. Still, the tracks sound pretty samey and can get a little stale rather quickly. I liked it, but think he will only get better. You can get them at Juno or Beatport, but I think $6 or so is a lot for 3 wavs. I would say get Ianauria's Orange EP instead and then if you still wanted more, go for this.

Beatport

Juno Download

Mdk