hey all

Dark_Puppy

I've been watching this site for a few weeks getting some ideas on new music, have to say thanks for whomever created it and everyone who contributes it's a wealth of information for someone like me.. I'm in an area of the U.S. where I'm surrounded by people who don't even get into trance at all, kind of a bummer. I've been a fan of techno and beyond since 1993 when I first heard Lords of Acid, Messiah and that old compilation Rave Til Dawn if anyone remembers those.. Just never found that right sound until I picked up a nice compilation Transylavania 5 and got hooked on trance. Up until recently, I've been mesmerized for years by Infected Mushroom, Shiva Shidapu and Yahel for all my uplifting GOA urges, but thanks to this site I've found some music perfect for my taste in Alienapia, Filteria, Merr0w, and I'm always looking for more music like those groups if anyone has any suggestions... ?

thanks to this site I can now define my favorite genre as Psytrance, GOA, Uplifting, Nitzhonot, even some darkpsy..

Also an avid fan of Death and Black metal too.. :blink: extreme taste diversity makes people look at you in wonder.

-Darkpup

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

Rave til Dawn was ace.

I remember Praga Khan – Injected With A Poison very fondly :wub:

yep! I looked all over Tucson, AZ for more Praga Khan and never could find any. I was beginning to wonder if they were just a one hit wonder or something.. :lol:. It's about like being addicted to chocolate but living on a deserted island. :(

Welcome! Awesome with another Metal fan. Here is a picture of a friend of mine looking at some of my Death Metal CD's:

DAYAMN!! :blink: I'd like to take a look through them too! Unfortunately I lost many metal cd's and tapes when I loaned them to a guy I thought was my friend and then he moved away.. never saw that bastard again. Should have known better to loan so many out at once but I was too proud to show off my collection of mostly late 80s early 90s death and black metal.

I go in cycles.. trance one week, death metal a few days, a little 80s pop nostalgia, and so on and so on..

DAYAMN!! :blink: I'd like to take a look through them too! Unfortunately I lost many metal cd's and tapes when I loaned them to a guy I thought was my friend and then he moved away.. never saw that bastard again. Should have known better to loan so many out at once but I was too proud to show off my collection of mostly late 80s early 90s death and black metal.

I go in cycles.. trance one week, death metal a few days, a little 80s pop nostalgia, and so on and so on..

All original first pressings. Everything from Brutal Death Grind to old school Possessed-influenced Death/Thrash and SweDeath.

It really sucks that you lost most of your CD's that way. Luckily most of the classics are available as re-releases these days (if you don't care about pressings).

I've been watching this site for a few weeks getting some ideas on new music, have to say thanks for whomever created it and everyone who contributes it's a wealth of information for someone like me.. I'm in an area of the U.S. where I'm surrounded by people who don't even get into trance at all, kind of a bummer. I've been a fan of techno and beyond since 1993 when I first heard Lords of Acid, Messiah and that old compilation Rave Til Dawn if anyone remembers those.. Just never found that right sound until I picked up a nice compilation Transylavania 5 and got hooked on trance. Up until recently, I've been mesmerized for years by Infected Mushroom, Shiva Shidapu and Yahel for all my uplifting GOA urges, but thanks to this site I've found some music perfect for my taste in Alienapia, Filteria, Merr0w, and I'm always looking for more music like those groups if anyone has any suggestions... ?

thanks to this site I can now define my favorite genre as Psytrance, GOA, Uplifting, Nitzhonot, even some darkpsy..

Also an avid fan of Death and Black metal too.. :blink: extreme taste diversity makes people look at you in wonder.

-Darkpup

Aloha Dark Puppy,

Praga khan and Lord of acid is the same group/artist from Belgium (so am I) and one of the founders of 'New Beat'!

I'm glad to see you like psytrance but also expand your perspective towards other music.

Can you specify your suggestions? I'm glad to help.

Hey, Praga Khan! Here's a tracklist from 1991, from Juliana's Tokyo club - a legend in Asia and Japan.

I still have the vol.1 CD, the cover is so simple, so Japanese, that its simplicity makes it chic.

At that time, Belgian techno was the rage. It was soon after that that Goa trance came around, I remember

that vol.4 of Juliana's Tokyo featuread a MWNN track. It was a great club, and some tokyoites miss it to this day.

http://www.lastfm.com.br/music/Various+Artists/Juliana's+Tokyo+-Legend-+%5BDisc.1%5D

Aloha Dark Puppy,

Praga khan and Lord of acid is the same group/artist from Belgium (so am I) and one of the founders of 'New Beat'!

I'm glad to see you like psytrance but also expand your perspective towards other music.

Can you specify your suggestions? I'm glad to help.

That's weird about them being the same band because I saw on a compilation once as Lords of Acid & Praga Khan. Always thought they were different.. Well back then there was no internet for me anyway, there were B.B.S. systems (connecting at 14.4k bps!) and even then hardly anyone I talked to on there was into techno enough to school me on who's who. Didn't take me long anyway before my opinion became "the best techno comes from Europe", cuz all the american techno was just pop crap lol. might even still be I don't know. I did hear this one screamo band that integrated some techno sound in with their emo metal.. ugh.. horrible.

I keep coming back to psytrance no matter how far I go out listening to punk or metal or whatever.. I just love being able to close my eyes and get lost in trance, and the crazier it gets the better. My wife, ex wife and even several of my friends don't get into trance, saying that it's all repetitious and there's no vocals and blah blah whatever.. To me that's the point of trance to hear repetition over and over and singing just kills it. I do however like listening to some of the club trance however that features women with beautiful voices kinda like the track by Armin Van Buuren ft Sharon den Adel "In and Out of Love". Even DJ Yahel's "Oceans " with Tammy..

As far as suggestions.. I'm finding a lot of cool music from the reviews, and especially the thread "what are you listening to now" it's really expanding my horizons on new music. even if it's 10 years old hell I've never heard it. But the more uptempo and crazy I love it. Alienapia, Filteria, Mind Sphere, Liquid Flow, if that puts it into perspective.

thanks!

Dp

Hey, Praga Khan! Here's a tracklist from 1991, from Juliana's Tokyo club - a legend in Asia and Japan.

I still have the vol.1 CD, the cover is so simple, so Japanese, that its simplicity makes it chic.

At that time, Belgian techno was the rage. It was soon after that that Goa trance came around, I remember

that vol.4 of Juliana's Tokyo featuread a MWNN track. It was a great club, and some tokyoites miss it to this day.

http://www.lastfm.com.br/music/Various+Artists/Juliana's+Tokyo+-Legend-+%5BDisc.1%5D

hey Prodigy made it to that compilation!.. I was into them too for a little bit. Music for the Jilted Generation didn't leave my car stereo for months.

speaking of Tokyo.. I dig the Tokyo dancing stormtooper vid on youtube. Had to go find that album just because of that song. :)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7X9MQi7uOU

That's weird about them being the same band because I saw on a compilation once as Lords of Acid & Praga Khan.

Correct it's the same guy, but different members

This is who I'm talking about! 'Maurice Engelen'

Posted Image

Posted Image

He also helped creating this amazing track, classic!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YBPRjQfuM

They remixed it btw... They play it over here in Belgium on the radio all the time, maybe a bit too much!

So with so many metal fans, I really think someone should post some metal sets in the dj promotion forum. I mean Death metal djs exist suppsoedly... and I want to therefore download their sets. I would if I still listened to black metal as much as I used to.

So with so many metal fans, I really think someone should post some metal sets in the dj promotion forum. I mean Death metal djs exist suppsoedly... and I want to therefore download their sets. I would if I still listened to black metal as much as I used to.

Man there is so much metal anymore it'll make your head spin. I have a friend who probably spends 2-5 hours a day researching metal bands and posts all over facebook. I can't imagine what his hard drive looks like all the stuff he downloads. After a while many of them just begin to sound the same to me. My favorite metal (not just death) of 2010 tho have to be the bands Allegeon (technical death metal), Conducting From the Grave, Parkway Drive, and Winterburst. Disharmonia Mundi has some decent stuff too.

also.. the new Amon Amarth cd isn't too bad either. The first song is epic anyway.

So with so many metal fans, I really think someone should post some metal sets in the dj promotion forum.

They'd be deleted by mods. I think Off Topic is the only place on psynews where one could post such a thing.

Welcome :D

thanks! checked out your gallery on Deviant pretty cool. I'm on there as Insane_Puppy2.

@reyu I like Sepultura's music just don't care for the vocals. They sound a lot like Motorhead. To each their own I know. B)

this is more of what I have in mind (for my taste)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=A286P8r42pk

Not exactly my cup of metal tea, but I feel compelled to point to you Wolves In The Throne Room. They don't have quite the symphonic/synth European metal sound your link does, but it reminds me a little. I call them "epic black metal".

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWgOLsNN8Yk

I have their "Diadem of 12 Stars" album. Honestly the production is kind of crappy, they have a more sloppy sound not like the ultra-clean quality in most modern metal, but I still enjoy listening on occasion. I also kind of get a kick out of the fact that the album is an hour long and has only 4 tracks. The last one alone is 20 minutes.

Gojira is about the only currently active metal band I really listen to. Well, I do listen to Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, Opeth, but not their current music.

Oh, and welcome!

Not exactly my cup of metal tea, but I feel compelled to point to you Wolves In The Throne Room. They don't have quite the symphonic/synth European metal sound your link does, but it reminds me a little. I call them "epic black metal".

I have their "Diadem of 12 Stars" album. Honestly the production is kind of crappy, they have a more sloppy sound not like the ultra-clean quality in most modern metal, but I still enjoy listening on occasion. I also kind of get a kick out of the fact that the album is an hour long and has only 4 tracks. The last one alone is 20 minutes.

Gojira is about the only currently active metal band I really listen to. Well, I do listen to Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, Opeth, but not their current music.

Oh, and welcome!

that's kind of where black metal fans divide, some prefer the "low production sound" (old school Beherit) versus modern production (Dimmu Borgir). I prefer symphonic theatrics in my black metal, so I tend to love Dimmu and Behemoth, Emperor etc.. From what I'm noticing about this site and psytrance music, at least from what I've seen I could be wrong, people aren't so "my genre's better than yours" like metal fans can be. Perhaps it's just the type of music it is after all, metal is emotional destruction to whatever level, usually bad-asses wanting to prove their bad-asses even if vicariously through their music .. whereas trance has people of all kinds just enjoying the sound and going with the flow.

I like Lamb of God a lot, and some Opeth, Slayer.. old school Slayer not any of the new stuff.. same with Metallica. I'm listening to this wolves in the throne room now.. I like the female backup vocals .. really does remind me of the old school black metal bands like Enslaved and Immortal.

To each their own really.