Commodore 64 Returns

needle ninja

Posted Image

Story - My link

This was the first computer I wanted as a kid, I'm not sure if anyone other then hugely sentimental geeks will buy this though.

It would be fun as a portable computer, but after having just bought a new computer I won't get this.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one when I was euhm I guess 13-14,

A gift from my Uncle (who is a computer freak), & bought a newer computer.

I liked the games a lot. It gave me much pleasure when I was very young.

I still remember the huge floppy's Posted Image, and changing them each 3 levels Posted Image

Honestly I would never buy it, maybe If I had too much money (which is not).

Nice topic btw! Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Story - My link

This was the first computer I wanted as a kid, I'm not sure if anyone other then hugely sentimental geeks will buy this though.

It would be fun as a portable computer, but after having just bought a new computer I won't get this.

I had this for years as a kid, somewhere around 1982-83. First was the basic one which had a tape player hookup that did 1/2 it's programs, the other half being a cartridge that plugged in the top (jupiter landing anyone?).. Then I got the latter version with 5 1/4 floppy drive. My dad had connections to people at his job so I was able to get tons of games for it. Eventually the drive went bad and nothing would load on it anymore.. just got the red blinking death. By then whatever I had a Nintendo and a 286 PC.

I built a computer for a friend of mine the other day and he showed me his recently passed away Aunt's Commodore 64 computer which was hooked up to a 3.5 diskette drive. I was unaware that they even incorporated those into their world.

There's no reason to even have this thing anymore, since c64 emulators were made and most of the games are available for it as well. For those looking to remember the old days. Better yet youtube features videos of these games being played if you just want to peek at what they were like.

My first pc was a 286 12Mhz, shared it with my father . Pretty cool, had played many games on it, and I think some of them are now rerelased for iPhone etc (eg the Prehistorik game by Titus, my first platform game ever). Second pc was a Pentium 166Mhz with Windows 95 and Voodoo 2 graphics card later bought... !

My first pc was a 286 12Mhz, shared it with my father . Pretty cool, had played many games on it, and I think some of them are now rerelased for iPhone etc (eg the Prehistorik game by Titus, my first platform game ever). Second pc was a Pentium 166Mhz with Windows 95 and Voodoo 2 graphics card later bought... !

Yea my parents went to Radio Shack back in 1991, bought me a Tandy 1000.. basically a 286 10Mhz pc 1 Meg of ram.. funny because only 640K was accessible, DOS's himem.sys command couldn't unlock that extra 386K, because it wasn't a 386 processor! lol I spent many hours trying to figure that one out. Many of the games I played on it consisted of Dungeons and Dragons games, Secret of the Silver Blades, Hillsfar, Pool of Radiance etc.. Jetfighter II, Leisure Suit Larry 2, and Dragon's Lair II - Timewarp. It only had a 40MB hard drive on it.

@Rotwang.. Just looked up Acorn and BBC Micro since I had no clue what you speak of.. Looks like it was UK's version of our Commodore Vic20, later C64/128. Or Apple's first computers. Regardless, I bet we have a lot of the same memories for those old school games and programs we used to play.

• 6 months later...

I had a BBC Micro as a kid, then later an Acorn Archimedes. They ruled.

I had the Acorn Electron and that was fantastic. The fact that it took an hour to load a game kept you playing it for hours just to feel like you hadn't wasted your time :D

I had the Acorn Electron and that was fantastic. The fact that it took an hour to load a game kept you playing it for hours just to feel like you hadn't wasted your time :D

When I would turn my older brother's 286 on I would go to the kitchen and fix myself a snack while it booted up :lol:

Acorn >> Wintel back in the day. If they had properly promoted the Archimedes then perhaps the modern world would be running on RISC OS instead of Windows. To think what could have been...