What Did You Buy Today?

Redington

I'm applying for a postdoc in biophysical lab here in Copenhagen, I'll be handling quite a bit large 3D data sets, so would love to have some muscle to deal with that (beside the gaming :P)

It'll probably be a good choice for that, unless you're willing to go for something larger (and uglier). This review has a bewildering array of stats. Good luck with the application.

... I guess we might be able to get it directly from the States, pretty strange they only make an American version.

Doesn't seem to be that unusual, sadly. I guess we Europeans probably have more luck than most places, though.

It'll probably be a good choice for that, unless you're willing to go for something larger (and uglier). This review has a bewildering array of stats. Good luck with the application.

Doesn't seem to be that unusual, sadly. I guess we Europeans probably have more luck than most places, though.

Thanks! :D I have good chances as the job fits my resume and I know the group leader well, but nothing is certain... and I would this comparison (also featuring the 2015 razor) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp

The HP Omen actually look pretty decent as well, and available in Denmark, which help a bit for the University :P Have you looked into that one?!

That only seems to talk about the 2013 edition. The new one has 16GB of RAM (the lack of which was the only thing stopping me from buying the previous version) as well as a 3200x1800 screen resolution that's frankly just silly.

The HP Omen actually look pretty decent as well, and available in Denmark, which help a bit for the University :P Have you looked into that one?!

I did, but I didn't like the look of it as much as the very similar Lenovo Y50 Touch. The extra keys on the left hand side of the keyboard looked like they would get in the way.

That only seems to talk about the 2013 edition. The new one has 16GB of RAM (the lack of which was the only thing stopping me from buying the previous version) as well as a 3200x1800 screen resolution that's frankly just silly.

I did, but I didn't like the look of it as much as the very similar Lenovo Y50 Touch. The extra keys on the left hand side of the keyboard looked like they would get in the way.

That is strange, I'm getting specs and review on the 2015 version (the article is from Feb 2015 as well)... but does look like a monster, just too bad that the SSD is running on SATA and not PCI-E... and I wish they did a proper distribution in Europe :( did u get it as a private or work computer?!

And yes crazy resolution, lol!!! :D Have you tried some games that utilizes it yet, must look pretty sweet!!?

did u get it as a private or work computer?!

Private.

And yes crazy resolution, lol!!! :D Have you tried some games that utilizes it yet, must look pretty sweet!!?

I haven't. Don't intend to do any gaming on it.

Are you going to use it for 3D modelling or something like that then?

No, I'm going to use it for making music. My music software is very resource-hungry (it's written in Python).

You do theoretical physics right?! ;)

Sadly not any more, I'm a quant these days.

No, I'm going to use it for making music. My music software is very resource-hungry (it's written in Python).

Ahh sweet Rotwang! :D Looking forward to hearing some of that! What kind of music, if I dare ask?!

Sadly not any more, I'm a quant these days.

oh yes, I remember now! Well at least you get paid well... not like in academia :P

Ahh sweet Rotwang! :D Looking forward to hearing some of that! What kind of music, if I dare ask?!

The intention is to make psytrance, but if past form is anything to go by I'll spend a lot of time adding new features to my software and very little time using it to actually make music.

oh yes, I remember now! Well at least you get paid well... not like in academia :P

Indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

both are great monitors, but the a8x are a bit different. the a7x are extremely crisp in the mids, which are more subdued (still very much there but not as present — not as present as they should be according to some) with the a8x, but the bass :o:wub: . it nearly feels as if you're standing in front of a festival rig (except for it sounding much clearer of course) ;)

and of course the highs are equally great on both models.

i have a feeling they're going to complement my headphones really nicely. i've listened to a few half-mixed tracks of mine that sound great on the headphones and they are completely out of place and dull compared to professionally mastered tracks. if something sound good on both of them, it'll probably sound good anywhere...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

another pair of 2x4GB ram :) (Corsair Pro Red 2133mhz CL9 to be exact)

when playing bo3 and loading zombies, 7,35GB ram was used :o and windows, for the first time in history, said "you are low on ram".

So i had to extend the swap file just to play that game.

so i said fukit, and bought myself two more sticks, so i have 16 now.

and now i dont need a swap file :)

• 4 months later...

I bought these recently to replace my broken (sat on) 750s

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KENWOOD-In-Ear-Headphones-HA-FX850/dp/B00I4KPBF2

I've never had a better sounding pair of in ear monitors. These are actually better sounding than most over ear headphones I've tried. I really really love these :wub:

• 4 months later...