2. Citizens of the Universe / Shiva and Tryambaka

3. I saw your saw (Sick Addiction rmx) / Tryambaka

4. Acid Trip (Tryambaka rmx) / Menog

5. Fitz Fatz (Tryambaka rmx) / Rastaliens

6. Sex and Death (Tryambaka rmx) / Artifakt

7. Furious (Tryambaka rmx) / Elixir

8. Alien Disco (Tryambaka rmx) / Cosmosis

9. Power of Celtic (Tryambaka rmx) / Shiva Shidapu

I like people who take risks. They're special. Rather than stay inside their comfort zone they venture out into the unknown. Everyone knows about base jumpers and sky divers, but those people are f*cking insane. The real heroes are the regular people that try to do something a little different. Whether out of desire or need.

Posted Image

"Yeah when I went to pick her up for our date she said that she had a surprise for me. I thought I was gonna get laid."

Posted Image

Anyone can ask for change on the street; this guy went the extra mile. I gave him ten bucks.

Posted Image

I knew things were bad in Greece, but I had no idea.

This is Tiago Pimentel (not the kid above as far as I know) and I heard a lot of hype about his 2nd album. It is being released by One Foot Groove who recently gave us the very impressive Kut 'n' Paste disc. Turns out it is for the most part a remix album, but check out some of the artists and tracks he is giving the business. Alien Disco? Power of Celtic? I know Tryambaka is a twilight artist, but those two tracks seem a wee bit out of his strike zone, no? I knew that I had to hear them. By the way, his last name is Pimentel which sounds like pimento to me so...from here on I shall refer to him as the olive. No offense homie, I love olives.

Red- "It's like everything is one big puzzle in your mind."

Ooohh, juicy bits. Crawling creeping synths shamble above a powerful kick. With a very forest feel the bass line moves up and down as metallic leads spray like machine gun fire. It's pretty thick with layers and atmosphere while not taking its foot off the pedal. I got the feel that when I stepped into this track it got all over my legs and wouldn't come off. The final part has a twist in design that maintains its twilight focus. Nice opener olive!

Citizens of the Universe- "Ignorance is no longer an excuse."

It never is. Ever try to get out of a ticket? "Sorry officer, but I didn't know that I blew through a stop sign" doesn't seem to go over very well. Fear not though, there is more darkness afoot, squire! Leads that are too fast to grapple weave quickly above the bass line. There are key changes all over the place to keep the mind focused as a wailing lead bounds out of the break with razor sharpness. Very expansive and powerful and just when they might reach the height of the groove, a break arrives and let's you catch your breath. It's right back into the fray with more groove and rhythm. They did a great job with the melodies as they give the track beauty and make it also emotional, loved it.

I Saw Your Saw (Sick Addiction Remix)- "In your own time...tell me the first thing you remember."

"I woke up...all I could taste was blood...then metal."

Yeah, in bartending school we call that the "you've had too much I'm not serving you anymore." Like the movie Saw? Then this is the track for you, full of samples and horror movie twilight. Not the teenage vampire gay-fest but the genre. But lest you think it's a cheese fest, they manage to deliver the power and melody while keeping the theme intact. The lead was a little shrill in my ears, but as per usual it is replaced with other dark sounds. Man these guys have the knack for putting together deep tracks. There is a lot going on but this is a good mover. Another good job gentlemen.

Acid Trip(Tryambaka Remix)- I'm so glad the olive decided to tackle this track from Menog's album waaaaaay back in 2003. Because I thought it sucked donkey balls. I mean the lead in the original was so modulated that it sounded like he was playing it underwater. No offense intended, I think 2003 was a time when Menog was trying to find his way as an artist and that can always be forgiven. Actually I think I was too harsh; perhaps what I should say that the track had potential but left too much on the table. Yeah, that's it. So...um, no donkey balls.

So Tiago gives the track a much needed makeover with clear production and more depth. The bass line is an immediate improvement as it rages forward with metallic scraping leads giving it a more chaotic feel. The break introduces that far away, melancholic vibe building to a pounding kick. Spooky horror movie synths are all over this track making you think you are watching a 1950's era science fiction film, but he doesn't forget where his bread is buttered. Twilight intensity is here in droves, and I think he did an admirable job.

Fitz Fatz(Tryambaka Remix)- Talk about diggin' into the vault...On to the remix of the Rastaliens from their album Freestyle. Like the Menog track before, this one is full of darkness in its original state so I'm curious to see where he takes it. If you guessed down a dark road....ding ding ding! Winner.

Posted Image

Yeah, 70's Family Feud with Richard Dawson where you never knew how drunk he was when he started tongue kissing some poor schmuck's wife. She liked it.

The lead is crafty and agile as it dances along while effects perpetuate the dark feel. It feels like something is crawling on me. Please don't let it be spiders. Please don't let it be spiders.

Posted Image

Get the f*ck outta here. They got sh*t like that over there? I would be like that chick in the 2nd Indiana Jones flick afraid to put my feet on the ground and screaming the whole time. Thumbs up on this one as it is more melodic but still creepy and rhythmic. Great job Olive.

Sex & Death(Tryambaka Remix)- Another long ago track from the Encryption compilation by Artifakt. I have never been a great fan of his music as it has always seemed harsh and amelodic, but I appreciate his creativity. And this one was way out there, quirky and built for the tech-trance crowd. Now the original was over 11 and a half minutes so I'm glad he cut it down a bit. It still has that techy vibe with scratching sounds and bleeps, but he drops a dirty groove here. So firm and fully packed with much more melody. The only negative here is the buildup and even that wasn't that bad. Keep on flying soul brother!

Furious(Tryambaka Remix)- Well here we go, a foray into goa and crazy goa at that. I went back and listened to all the tracks he's remixing and I think this one was an underrated gem. Well the Olive turned a chaotic goa track into an insane twilight stomper. It never stops and when the sample says Furious, mother f*cker it is on! This is an absolute skull crusher and catapults to the top of my favorites. Bravo sir, bravo.

Posted Image

Techno Viking approved!

Alien Disco(Tryambaka Remix)- Talk about chutzpah, taking on one of the greatest goa trance anthems and remixing it? After seeing what he could do with the Elixir track though I am a believer. It begins kinda sunshiney goa but quickly the night goa takes over. The lead shambles up and down and the signature synth squirts its arpeggio out while pads convey the night time. When the acidic lead arrives all bets are off as this should make Cosmosis proud. Another cracker. Somebody get the hose, homie is on fire!

Posted Image

Power of Celtic(Tryambaka Remix)- I hate this song. Hate it. I know a lot of people label this a classic, but it makes me want to kick things when I hear it. What Mr. Baka did here though was give it life and a continue with the dark cinematic feel. It's got power, minor chord leads, and some of the original to let you know he heard the original. He assaults with lasers and horror movie chimes and cat quick bass lines. I wasn't a fan of the key change, but it was also in the original so that wasn't a deal breaker. So you get some beef, some Irish highland vibe, and some pretty deep darkness. Think of it as an updated version with more punch!

I thought I was going to be in for another full-on disappointment. Far from it. The olive takes control and creates some remixes that for my money are all improvements. Well, not the Alien Disco. His version of it was kick ass, but you really can't touch the original. They had power, groove and plenty of darkness and melody. Very impressed. If you are a fan of twilight music then this will be right up your alley.

GoaStore

Saikosounds

Beatspace

Mdk