Stéphane Papin aka Paps

GagaISM

Guest nectarios

Really dig some of his tunes. But haven't been following Paps' output recently. I'd appreciate anything new you have to point out.

Peace.

Really dig some of his tunes. But haven't been following Paps' output recently. I'd appreciate anything new you have to point out.

Sadly seems like he hasn't released anything (under any name) since 2002.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

No problem mate. Vibes From The Other Side seems to have been a real "gamechanger" back then, being both an influence on Tech-Trance, Minimal and Full On. Anyone who'd care to share some memories?

Me. Won't forget the moment I heard it on the Halluci:nations CD in early 2000.

Me. Won't forget the moment I heard it on the Halluci:nations CD in early 2000.

Me neither. Although my reaction was more like "what the fuck is this garbage I'm hearing?". I still get the nasty chills when I think back at what happened to goa trance around the turn of the millennium. And no, that comp hasn't been in my collection since over 10 years back.

P.S. The Tripiatrik track on that comp is even worse.

I still get the nasty chills when I think back at what happened to goa trance around the turn of the millennium.

Paps was never a Goa Trance producer, so why would you draw that connection?

EDIT: Giving it a another thought I think I understand where you were going with this. I do however believe that a genre, and the artists that constitutes it, should be judged on it's own merits. Minimal, Tech-Trance etc. is NOT Goa and should therefore not be judged as such. At least that's how I see it...

You said it very well, I was a hater of the minimal & prog sound in the early '00s as it wasn't psy/goa enough but as I started to mature and validate the music on its own merits rather than as part of the goa scene I now find that music to be some of the most technically proficient of all EDM. Paps was & is amazing to listen to, and I'd love to see a label reissue his works as an album. Especially if the original recording could be remastered from the source by a proficient masterer.

Paps was never a Goa Trance producer, so why would you draw that connection?

This wasn't directed specifically at Paps or any other single artist. The whole music genre we knew and know as goa trance turned to shit around the turn of the millennium and this comp was one of the many CDs that simply pissed me off. It was like seeing horrible things done to your loved ones and being unable to do anything about it. I just happen to remember the Paps track off this comp because it's track 1.