Best of 2011

healium

Thanks everyone for the recommendations in the "The Good Stuff from 2010" topic! - I've been greatly enjoying the following albums:

Nosia - Split the Atom

Michael Casette - Temporarity

Gonjosufi - A Sufi and a Killer

Architect - Consume, Adapt, Create

Hidden Orchestra - Night Walks

Flying Lotus - Cosmmogramma

Jack Sparrow - Circadian

----------

Psytrance/Psychill has been uninspiring to me recently so I am thirsty for artistic, trippy, and generally kickass electronica from other genres..

So, I know it's only March, but anyone have some excellent recommendations for 2011 yet?

There's a lot of stuff I'm waiting for to be released, only some stuff has come out.

Aes Dana's Perimeters being one of course.

Ott's new album, Mir, is not bad.

Bvdub, Near The Parenthesis, Tapage, and Tripswitch have new stuff out as well.

So does Tim Hecker and Emanuele Errante.

Field Rotation's Acoustic Tales is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite enjoying the new younger brother album. A few of the tracks are way too poppy (ie shine and night lead me astray) but the rest is very nice, especially pound a rhythm, train and spinning into place.

You can stream it here: http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/04/04/the-barometer-younger-brother-album-exclusive/

As mentioned, Ott's Mir and Aes Dana's Perimeters are awesome too. Apart from that I haven't found any other stuff this year yet, still catching up on 2010. Got hidden orchestra the other day, amazing album! Time to do some digging soon methinks.

I saw a Jack Sparrow album in Tower Records yesterday but I was interupted by distressed GF before I could decide what to do with it.

I also saw two Funkarma albums which I should have picked up too.

How is Jack Sparrow? (This is in response to the OP which I forgot to quote)

Jack Sparrow's album is a mix of DnB and dubstep. Good stuff, nothing like the usual drudgery that is associated with the genre as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like a lot of the dubstep I've heard at electronica parties and such - sounds like doom music for sleazy druggie type people with no sophistication.. Like there's gonna be a bunch of dudes in hoodies smoking meth on the dancefloor or something..

But "Circadian" isn't like that at all - it has dubstep elements but is quite artistic and excellent for home listening.. Have only heard it a couple times but am very impressed - good journey music - kinda mellow, hypnotic, varied, nice layers/subtlety, and with a solid psychedelic edge to it.. Some of it reminds me, in a very distant way, of Sensient - "Antifluoro" album..

I don't like a lot of the dubstep I've heard at electronica parties and such - sounds like doom music for sleazy druggie type people with no sophistication.. Like there's gonna be a bunch of dudes in hoodies smoking meth on the dancefloor or something..

But "Circadian" isn't like that at all - it has dubstep elements but is quite artistic and excellent for home listening.. Have only heard it a couple times but am very impressed - good journey music - kinda mellow, hypnotic, varied, nice layers/subtlety, and with a solid psychedelic edge to it.. Some of it reminds me, in a very distant way, of Sensient - "Antifluoro" album..

Indeed Circadian is good enough and better than your average dubstep ... It has a few tracks which I dislike but also enough tracks that I enjoy ... :)

I'll recommend highly The Glitch Mob "Drink the Sea" also - it was recommended by someone else in the best of 2010 thread and I think it's freakin awesome!

What I love about the album is that they have these big hooks just all over the place - and I do mean big ol hooks - very catchy and the sort that get stuck in your head - melodic hooks mostly, with big slow beats and fat grooves - but it doesn't sound commercial at all to me - has a nice twinge of psychedelia to it - the whole album is like one big hook, actually, which I think is great - I like really intricate and more difficult-to-access music also, but that sort of music often doesn't deliver the feelings of euphoria and desire to groove and dance that the more melodic music does - "Drink the Sea" bring the joy for sure (despite that it's sort of moody/dark too) - lots of the tracks and melodies have a similar sound to them, a similar theme, but it's all just so rockin that I don't mind... Very much an album rather than a collection of tracks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Submotion Orchestra's 'Finest Hour' is definitely the album of the year for me so far. Cinematic Orchestra meets Burial with one of the best vocalists I've heard in a looooong time. Absolutely stunning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvgrJkY6mD0

Africa Hitech's album 93 million miles on Warp Records is pretty sweet too. Got this epic tune on it:

Apart from that I haven't really heard much else to add this year, odd as last year there seemed to be a constant stream of amazing albums coming out!!

Lets have some more recommendations on here guys, I got loads of good stuff from the 2010 thread :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...