jalEH3n.jpg

Artist: E-Clip

Title: Shuma

Label: Yellow Sunshine Explosion

Date: January, 2011

1. Live is enough

2. Asia Tribe

3. Crow

4. New level of being (feat. Egorythmia)

5. Chandra

6. Reactor

7. Nostalgic

8. Existence

9. Cosmic Energy

You ever have a friend or know someone that, whatever they attempted or did was successful? Answers in school came easily to them without really having to study. Or they just excelled in sports because they were naturally athletic. Maybe they were just in tune to things or maybe they worked their ass off and we never knew. When I was in optometry school I had a friend that used to smoke so much weed but was consistently at the top of the class. However they do it, it gets done and we are left to marvel at their accomplishments. Well this guy has that quality when it comes to music. This is Marko Radovanovic who released a psytrance album in 2008 under the name Beyondecliptica called Groove Technologies which was a superb album I thought. Well his friend Flegma rubbed off on him and now he delivers psy-progressive stuff under the moniker E-Clip. Every track I have heard from this guy is a deep and lush experience. Stories are told. So when I saw he was releasing his debut I knew I wanted to give it a try. I see that it was put out by YSE and...

Posted Image

I thought that was a label that had a rich past, but now only released not goa trance that said Goa Trance 97 on the cover. Hmmmmm....

No track by track review here. To be honest, it's hard to discern one track form the next. Well, that is until the last few tracks where he is on some serious Glowing Flame style sh*t. While some might view that as a negative I see it as an epic tale that lasts over an hour. It's a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The post-apocalyptic atmosphere is thick with long sweeps, echoing synths, and dreamy melodies that fade into each other. To me this wasn't dance music as much as a vehicle to transport you to outer space. It wraps you up and keeps you safe from the cold void while beats pound away as the cosmic lightshow unfolds right before your eyes. This is lush progressive trance at its best with a psychedelic edge and gets my vote so far as best progressive album of the year. I know, it's early....but it's awesome.

Jeez...I just wrote a f*cking promo.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goastore

Mdk

• 1 month later...

Love the thick pounding bouncy lush atmosphere that the artist has managed to create while keeping it psychedelic all the way through . . this is five notches above Beyondeliptica and that wasn't bad by any standards either. its going to be hard to not keep this on repeat for quite some time im guessing especially after some exercising in the evening , keeps me pumped up till i go to bed when its time for some chill-out. Very dancy stuff :wub:

I would say one of the top contenders for the album of the year . :excl:

Love the thick pounding bouncy lush atmosphere that the artist has managed to create while keeping it psychedelic all the way through . . this is five notches above Beyondeliptica and that wasn't bad by any standards either. its going to be hard to not keep this on repeat for quite some time im guessing especially after some exercising in the evening , keeps me pumped up till i go to bed when its time for some chill-out. Very dancy stuff :wub:

I would say one of the top contenders for the album of the year . :excl:

I fully agree with you. Awesome stuff.

Mdk

• 3 months later...

E-Clip - Shuma

Yellow Sunshine Explosion, 2011

Posted Image

1. Life Is Enough

2. Asia Tribe

3. Crow

4. New Level Of Being

5. Chandra

6. Reactor

7. Nostalgic

8. Existence

9. Cosmic Energy

A Serbian artist named Marko Radovanovic (a.k.a. Radule) created his album called "Shuma", which he released via Yellow Sunshine Explosion under the nickname E-Clip. Once an artist connected with the likes of such labels as TesseracTsudio, Iono Music and Blue Tunes Recordings, he delivers vibes from the progressive psytrance genre in a smooth way. People who know these labels and their releases should already be aware what to expect on this CD. Moreover, one can feel evident full-on influences in his output, which should not be a surprise when taking into consideration the fact that earlier Marko was active as a full-on producer under the name Beyondecliptica. "Shuma" delivers very good material, worthy of its beautiful emerald cover. I was a bit afraid that the album will be made in similar vain to music by the omnipresent crew of Zyce, Flegma, Sideform and Nerso, who plunged deep into clichés many times repeatedly. Indeed, one can hear a lot of connections and similarities, even inspirations as far as their style is concerned, but the album has its own vibe and the mixture of progressive majesty and full-on power in proper proportions gives a good result. There is this intangible "thing" which cuts off this album from many other standard releases of this type. This "thing" enabled me and still enables to come back to this album time and again, which I consider to be a big success. When establishing the order of tracks on this album, the artist was seemingly guided by the rule conceived by the master Alfred Hitchcock, that is starting with an earthquake and building up the tension. One of my favorite tracks on this album, namely "Life Is Enough", is a perfect example of such earthquake in music terms. Just play it and take a deep dive into waves of psy-progressive power, best in connection to the evening sun at some summer festival. The tracks are well-built, nothing is random here. Along with this idea, Marko emphasizes a correctly established introduction, well-built core and non-absorbing ending. True, E-Clip works within the lines of a certain pattern, but on the other hand one does not need some amazing twists and turns at every moment if we want to get in tune with the music and trance out - this is what this music does in a great way. If we add an undisputed load of energy to the whole thing, we end up with a package one cannot disregard. Well done, mr Radovanovic.

Templar / http://www.psytrance.pl

Links:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yse/yse1cd244.html

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A little bit more variety would have been nice and sometimes he is almost too smooth (however, this is something you can accuse many of that prog trance school). Would be great if he took more risks in next album. Nevertheless this is an enjoyable release by an obviously quite talented artist. Favourite tracks 2,3,4,6,8.

E-Clip and Egorythmia sets were one of the highlights at Boom 2012 for me. In fact, I bought this CD because of his Boom performance.

Recommended.

Pedro

• 4 years later...

Very good album.

Comparing it to the copycat prog-trance which flooded the scene in next few years, I can now see how good Shuma is. I can agree that it's a bit monotonous and the tracks could have more differencies from each other, but it is clearly heard that the music was written because it came from the inside and not because all cool kids are doing this.

Even the "the quest is to be deliberated from the negative" sample doesn't seem to be out of place here, unlike most other tracks where it is used :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 23.12.2017 at 7:17 PM, Trance2MoveU said:

Still holds up very well 6 years on.  Like this much better than his follow up efforts.

Absolutely! Basically no weak tracks on this album. 

I was listening to his previous project Beyondecliptica today but sounded to me like pretty generic fullon, although well produced. As for his post-Shuma output there are some tracks which I rate very high, like Little Universe, One and some others but they are collabs with someone else. It seems that the guy has some serious production skills but the real inspiration doesn't visit him too often.

I also came across his most recent tracks at his soundcloud the other day but they are pretty repulsive, this Vini Vici-like kind of "futureprog" which i can't stand.