Title: Relapse

Label: One Foot Groove

Date: January, 2011

1. second coming

2. the gift

3. secret society (Noise Anomalie rmx)

4. nymphony

5. district 9 v2.0

6. deal gone wrong (featuring The Jester)

7. beautiful disaster (featuring Day Turns Night)

8. sinning in the rain

9. carnival of animals

10. relapse

Posted Image

I got paid!

Not like this guy with his pants off and his man lover rubbing him with money. For God's sake, pull your f*cking pants up. Is it racist to wonder whether this individual is in jail or dead? Just wondering.

Regardless, cash is king and the government just gave me back some money which I loaned to them at 0% interest. Aren't I nice? That's how the tax game works. So I goes out and gets me a new disc. In our scene of generic and derivative music, where copying and letting the computer do all the work is unfortunately so prevalent, how can I not review an album by the artist Kut'n'Paste? I mean, c'mon...that's the definition of lazy and unimaginative. I've never heard of Jaco König but kudos to him for choosing a great name. Let's begin with the cover...doll with multiple fractures on fire. Are you an abusive arsonist that was trying to get better, but had a relapse? Abuse is never funny unless it's old time commercials that didn't give a f*ck about political correctness.

Posted Image

You got knocked the f*ck out!

Who would win, Hawaiian Punch guy or Kool-Aid jug? I dunno.

Maybe the cover is a symbolic representation of our lost innocence. Again, drawing a blank. The cover is striking though. Judging by the font and the images, I thought this would lean towards the darker side and boy was I right. Pure twilight music. But you know what...a funny thing happened while listening to this. Fire made it good.

Posted Image

One of the best. Episodes. Ever.

Second Coming- "Now open your mind...let us begin our quest...to find the new sound."

No offense Jaco, but this sounds like the old sound. Plenty of lasers firing and a nice bass line give this a nice groove. Acid washes sound great but I could do without some of the samples in the break and you know how I feel about build ups. Still, this track brings the power in places and it has peaked my interest. Pretty good start I suppose.

The Gift- "She had awakened...and thought she smelled something burning."

Ouch, babe that usually means a visit to the free clinic. At 2 and a half minutes that shiny chaotic lead is a gift as it tears across the track. With a break a new rambling synth crawls forward and the stacking begins. I like how he switches sounds for new phrases and the bass line deepens to become a noisy rumbler for a time. Nice.

Secret Society (Noiseanomalie Rmx)- Amidst a gaggle of noise a simple bass line steps forward. The lead is rather scratchy but what I liked was the short breakbeat. Funky rhythm and real drum sounds. Other than that it is full steam ahead and pretty chaotic without much evolution. Meh.

Nymphony- "Unplug from your chairs, get up and look in the mirror. What you see is how God made you. We're not meant to experience the world through a machine."

If that isn't the biggest FU to Facebook, I don't know what is. And take your damn Farmville and shove it up your ass! This I like, the bass rages and the ominous melody suits me fine. What I don't like is the buildup of course. Twice. And when you hear the vocal declaring "I'm a nympho" repeated, well you might say...please to meet you! I did! Normally I would hate that, but it works here as the key changes and leads race. Very South African my friend. All in all a good track.

District 9 V2.0- I haven't heard the original so this is a blank canvas. Wheew...that bass line is deep. That kick is THUNDEROUS and the effects crawl from the darkest pit. Earthquakes don't rumble this much, wow such power! There are numerous samples from the movie (District 9 if you were in a coma) and they are well placed. F*cking awesome track.

Deal Gone Wrong- "You don't know what you're talking about."

Man, he really does specialize in deep basses, cause this one is rattling some windows. I know my son needs a nap, but I cannot help myself. Are you South African Jaco? Because Timecode would like a word with you. Holy acidic synth batman! The only part of this track I didn't like was the rapid fire kick and word drugs repeated over and over. Other than that..I'm seriously gay for this track.

Posted Image

Beautiful Disaster- When I was still getting high from pot, I saw Event Horizon stoned to the bejesus and thought it was the greatest movie ever. Ever. There are plenty of samples to occupy the fan while the beat punishes. There is guitar in this one, but it is well done. This is another quality headbanger. Like metal? This is for you.

Posted Image

Sinning in the Rain- "I think I'm a machine."

The delicious breakbeat intro makes me wonder what kind of dark musings he can create in that genre. But that's food for thought for another time. Has anyone seen Jaco and Frozen Ghost in the same place? Cause they're using the same leads. That's cool, but what's cooler is the nah nah nah nah nah nah put to some serious dark music. The lead sounds like it was run through a distortion pedal which I find appealing. The track just keeps growing and growing, really awesome work.

Carnival of Animals- "I just don't like techno...You would if you had robot ears."

Moving through a subterranean corridor as synths try and escape their underground prison. Sound like a carnival? Yeah it does, but a wicked one at that. It's grimy with that telltale deep bass that will not be contained. Just to change pace he hits you with a higher pitched synth in an almost classical melody. While not as powerful as the previous tracks it was certainly interesting.

Relapse- The Emily Rose sample is still scary to me. If I am ever confronted with that in real life, get me a diaper. More deep rumblings with loads of atmosphere thanks to that sample. The effects are also great sounding like scratching on a tomb as they seem to come from all sides. With the screaming it gets pretty noisy but that is all part of what he is shooting for I suppose. The strings are a nice touch. Darkest track on the disc.

Talk about finishing on a strong note. This reminds me of Hiyarant's debut Collision. And not just because they both sampled from Emily Rose. It's a horror movie soundtrack that makes you want to dance. When I first got into it, I thought he was going to become just what he was making fun of. Not so my friend. His beats are ridiculously heavy handed and he really does have that South African flare for melody and intensity. But what he also has is well set up tracks with good sample placement (mostly) and a full cup of danceability. Most definitely a welcome surprise that only got better the more I listened to it. This is not your everyday attempt at twilight music.

Posted Image

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Goastore

Mdk