Artist: Project Sketch

Title: Paradise Valley EP

Label: Arkona Creation

Date: March, 2011

1. Dino-Sore-Arse (125 BPM)

2. Chemicals For Happiness (128 BPM)

3. Nothing Happens (128 BPM)

4. With A Herring (126 BPM)

A self described "moody bastard" this is the side project of Al Psymmetrix from the UK. It's a free release available from our very good friend (and invaluable resource) Basilik. I was looking at how ridiculously high it was rated and had to give it a go. Yeah I'm still poor, thanks for your concern. I'm glad the masses (at least the masses who decide to comment or vote on Ektoplazm) think so highly of this, but I don't get it. 94.50%? Really?

Starting with the cover by Ivgenerate it looks like a Picasso on steroids. I think I see the remnants of a keyboard, a flower and a whole bunch of eyes. Very abstract.

Dino-Sore-Arse- A slow galloping bass line with chopped up T-rex screams from Jurassic Park. And bird tweets. The lead isn't very interesting nor is the track very groovy. Sigh...is it over yet?

Chemicals For Happiness- "Everyone belongs to everyone else..."

Oh...so many choices....I'll take LSD for the win Chuck...Better groove here, as it has a bit of a dirty, edgy house vibe. It's a two step brimming with attitude. Clever percussive effects add to its depth and it is a nice bouncer.

Nothing Happens- I don't know if I would give a track this name. But that's me, and I don't produce music. More psy-house beats and more percussion to help things along. I admit I do like it, the bass line is playful. The effects are many and as varied as a college campus. Was that a tiger roar? Sulu...set groove factor to warp 5. Aye aye, captain. I liked this one the best, mucho funko.

With A Herring- I like the running effect here as it works well with the bass. For the first minute. Then it gets very samey and boring and then I went to pee. The really cool break near the 6 and a half minute mark was my favorite part. Nothing special otherwise.

Ok, I think I got it. This is all about getting into a good groove. Of that there is a plenty, but after that....pretty slim pickings. Plenty of effects to add to the ...weirdness. If you're looking for big melodies...you no find dat here. I mean it's free, so all you have to lose is time. All in all, not bad but definitely not my cup of coffee with three sugars and then vanilla creamer. I didn't want to say tea. Although I like tea. A lot. I can drink an entire pitcher of sweet tea (North Carolina sweet tea, not that horesh*it Nestea or Lipton peddle). I hope I don't have a kidney stone...man those hurt. I'm still trying to figure out if Al got all his friends and family to vote this so highly.

Posted Image

Dude, WTF?

Get it at Ektoplazm

Mdk