Why do psy artists become less "psy" over time?

healium

I think it is a pity that very interesting discussions like this one always have to turn into mudfights. There is absolutely no need to attack each others musical preference every single time.

Anyhow, back on topic:

Basilisk's post is very interesting, as he adds the point of disgust, which is a very valid one I think. Also seeing Afgin's post confirms some of these theories, be it only in a single case. But I guess it's the same with almost every "underground" genre but the most extreme ones.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a pity that very interesting discussions like this one always have to turn into mudfights. There is absolutely no need to attack each others musical preference every single time.

Agreed but please notice it's not Mike or me who started anything here. As usual it's a die hard goa/psy fan who can't seem to understand that people can have different taste and also like different kind of music. This once fun and friendly forum has turned into a very small community with some people being very elitist and IMO damn rude when someone does not meet their taste in music. If you want this community to grow then you should start to look at how some members hold it down when it come to acting like they own this forum ("You do not belong here" etc.).

The new mods are totally invisible and I doubt this community will ever get back to even half of what it used to be unless they start to act and change things here so people who visit actually feel like joining this community. As it is now I don't see any new members joining. All I see is a small group of people and some of those members attacking people who have a broad taste in music.

my 2 cents. I look forward to Rotwang & co's insults ;)

The new mods are totally invisible and I doubt this community will ever get back to even half of what it used to be unless they start to act and change things here so people who visit actually feel like joining this community. As it is now I don't see any new members joining. All I see is a small group of people and some of those members attacking people who have a broad taste in music.

For the record, as long as people are respectful in the use of their language, things should not get moderated imo. We are not in kindergarden. And we don't need you, Elysium, to tell us what to do. Opinions here are made by individuals and not by the Psynews community.

For the record, as long as people are respectful in the use of their language, things should not get moderated imo. We are not in kindergarden. And we don't need you, Elysium, to tell us what to do. Opinions here are made by individuals and not by the Psynews community.

Funny how some of you will never relate to what goes on. Instead you get pissy potty irritated on me for pointing out the obvious.

Procyon was out of line yet none of you want to admit it. How predictable ;)

I believe the topic was: Why do psy artists become less psy? Let's stay On Topic!

I believe the topic was: Why do psy artists become less psy? Let's stay On Topic!

I see you wont answer me ;)

Indeed the topic is Why do psy artists become less psy? And by this questions broad term the debate can go in many directions and even be about Justin Bieber ;)

Agreed but please notice it's not Mike or me who started anything here. As usual it's a die hard goa/psy fan who can't seem to understand that people can have different taste and also like different kind of music. This once fun and friendly forum has turned into a very small community with some people being very elitist and IMO damn rude when someone does not meet their taste in music. If you want this community to grow then you should start to look at how some members hold it down when it come to acting like they own this forum ("You do not belong here" etc.).

my 2 cents. I look forward to Rotwang & co's insults ;)

The main reason psynews.org isn't what it used to be in the past is merely the shut-down of the off-topic section ... ;)

The main reason psynews.org isn't what it used to be in the past is merely the shut-down of the off-topic section ... ;)

I agree to that but I would not hold my horses on the off-topic ever getting back online. I think the team is too afraid it would steal the attention from the weekly 2-3 recurring topics going on now ;)

Seems like we have four main hypotheses here:

1) Money: artists change their style because it is profitable.

2) Drugs: artists change their style because of doing more drugs, less drugs, the wrong drugs, or some combination thereof.

3) Boredom: artists change their style because they get bored.

4) Age: artists change their style because they get old. (Plus having children might cause some lifestyle changes.)

Sound about right? I might propose two more:

5) Fame: artists change their style because psytrance is the black sheep of electronic music and you can't really get far with it.

6) Disgust: artists change their style because they are tired of being ripped off in the psytrance scene.

I tend to think some combination of all these might be likely... but you would have to look at specific cases to know for sure. The money hypothesis is the weakest of all IMO. Not many artists make a great deal of money making other styles of music either. Even if they do you can't know that it wasn't a change in musical interest that motivated the change in the first place.

Maybe this discussion would move forward if we consider some test cases. Perhaps someone can speculate what factors are likely involved in the creative trajectories of these ten artists:

12 Moons

Etnica

GMS

Infected Mushroom

James Monro

MFG

Synchro

Ticon

Wizzy Noise

Yumade

I think anyone knowledgeable will realize that generalizations will not work here. Each case is different.

Another factor to consider. How many psy / goa producers have formal musical training or actual performance experience (other than DJ)? I would think this has a major influence on career paths as well.

Seems like we have four main hypotheses here:

1) Money: artists change their style because it is profitable.

2) Drugs: artists change their style because of doing more drugs, less drugs, the wrong drugs, or some combination thereof.

3) Boredom: artists change their style because they get bored.

4) Age: artists change their style because they get old. (Plus having children might cause some lifestyle changes.)

Sound about right? I might propose two more:

5) Fame: artists change their style because psytrance is the black sheep of electronic music and you can't really get far with it.

6) Disgust: artists change their style because they are tired of being ripped off in the psytrance scene.

I tend to think some combination of all these might be likely... but you would have to look at specific cases to know for sure. The money hypothesis is the weakest of all IMO. Not many artists make a great deal of money making other styles of music either. Even if they do you can't know that it wasn't a change in musical interest that motivated the change in the first place.

Maybe this discussion would move forward if we consider some test cases. Perhaps someone can speculate what factors are likely involved in the creative trajectories of these ten artists:

12 Moons

Etnica

GMS

Infected Mushroom

James Monro

MFG

Synchro

Ticon

Wizzy Noise

Yumade

I think anyone knowledgeable will realize that generalizations will not work here. Each case is different.

i agree 100% with basilisk point of view,especialy about what he writes on number 5,6,and i know many artists Suffered from those reasons and decided to stop making music,or go to another style if they can do that.

what i am trying to say that the "peace & love" state of mind over that scene,together with heavy using of psy drugs by the pepole who are suppose to "lead" that scene forward (for example: some party orginaizers that working with them was like a hell) makes the whole business to become amaturish,unproffesional,and overated.

and after many years in that scene,i can say that those are the results of a scene that the main thing on it is to gather and use psy drugs...

and what about the music? well....as long there is 4/4 rythem above 140 bpm,with some psy sounds & layers,then it goes...the LSD will do the rest.

sad,but in most cases true.

and after many years in that scene,i can say that those are the results of a scene that the main thing on it is to gather and use psy drugs...

and what about the music? well....as long there is 4/4 rythem above 140 bpm,with some psy sounds & layers,then it goes...the LSD will do the rest.

Mate not many does LSD any longer in the scene. They do Coke. If only they did LSD there was still a small chance things would improve for the better ;)

Mate not many does LSD any longer in the scene. They do Coke. If only they did LSD there was still a small chance things would improve for the better ;)

well when i wrote "LSD" it refers to all others drugs,includes coke,include others drugs we know,using the word "LSD" was only the make myself more clearly ,for me its all the same,its bad (all the drugy stuff),no mather what.

in the bottom line this is a narcotic scene,who most of things in it based on using psy drugs,and thats the main reason for this scene has not very good Reputation among other electronic styles/genres.

cheers ;)

well when i wrote "LSD" it refers to all others drugs,includes coke,includes others drugs we know,using the word "LSD" was only the make myself more clearly,for me its all the same,its bad (all the drugy stuff),no mather what.

in the bottom line this is a narcotic scene,who most of things in it based on using psy drugs,and thats the main reason for this scene has not very good Reputation among other electronic styles/genres.

I agree on that. Sad thing is that some people (not all but I do see a huge increase) go for the drugs and not the music. They use the music to support the drugs instead of using the drugs to support the music. But how should they know any better when their favorite artists promote drugs as "God" by being totally fucked on drugs while performing and releasing various tunes and Albums that praise drugs. The artists, labels and also organizers have way more influence on the audience than they want to admit.

I agree on that. Sad thing is that some people (not all but I do see a huge increase) go for the drugs and not the music. They use the music to support the drugs instead of using the drugs to support the music. But how should they know any better when their favorite artists promote drugs as "God" by being totally fucked on drugs while performing and releasing various tunes and Albums that praise drugs. The artists, labels and also organizers have way more influence on the audience than they want to admit.

i must agree with you in most of things :)

and i want to add...for example,lets say that "vodka red-bull" is the most common drink in the pepole who goes to club and listen normal trance...but i dont see armin van buuren writing a track called:

Armin van buuren - Vodka red-bull :)

and how many psy tracks name we know that preached to use drugs/or named on drugs and etc?....well there is a lot of them, we all know that fact.

thats the diffrence between normal trance scene(and by the way,a lot of other music scenes,not only normal trance scene),and between a scene that the drugs/using of drugs is the main issue.

well when i wrote "LSD" it refers to all others drugs,includes coke,include others drugs we know,using the word "LSD" was only the make myself more clearly ,for me its all the same,its bad (all the drugy stuff),no mather what.

cheers ;)

Wrong. When the scene was alive & kicking, again the majority did psychedelic drugs. It can also be a POSITIVE influence at times.

Wrong. When the scene was alive & kicking, again the majority did psychedelic drugs. It can also be a POSITIVE influence at times.

No matter what a community that base it's vision on drugs will sooner or later go down the drain. It's not the first time it happens. And it's a highly speculative statement to say the majority did drugs. That is not my experience at all.

well,try to look at it more in the long term point of view,for example:

how many artist do u know,that make great psy hits during using drugs in those good old days,and now days,cause of using a lot of psy drugs,their mental/mind went wrong,and nowdays they cant function as a normal human beings cause of using psy drugs?

so my point of view is not only "wowowo what a great track/song he made under using psy drugs",my point of view is what happened to some of those artists years later,and what is the Implications of using drugs on those artists?

i was in shock when i saw which artists who went to a Anonymous Drug Rehab program,do u think they care about the music in their status? they just want to get out from this drugs,and fix the damage they made to their brain.

well i can tell for sure some of tha majors psy artists i know,they regrat on the first time they touch any kind of psy drugs,and they pay the price until today.

so at the end,for the long term,using psy drugs,from my point of view,it just dont worth it.

well,try to look at it more in the long term point of view,for example:

how many artist do u know,that make great psy hits during using drugs in those good old days,and now days,cause of using a lot of psy drugs,their mental/mind went wrong,and nowdays they cant function as a normal human beings cause of using psy drugs?

so my point of view is not only "wowowo what a great track/song he made under using psy drugs",my point of view is what happened to some of those artists years later,and what is the Implications of using drugs on those artists?

i was in shock when i saw which artists who went to a Anonymous Drug Rehab program,do u think they care about the music in their status? they just want to get out from this drugs,and fix the damage they made to their brain.

well i can tell for sure some of tha majors psy artists i know,they regrat on the first time they touch any kind of psy drugs,and they pay the price until today.

so at the end,for the long term,using psy drugs,from my point of view,it just dont worth it.

They used the wrong drugs or overdid it .Not all drugs are the same btw. Each substance is different. It's wrong to say all drugs are bad just because of bad experiences. I have also had bad experiences with substances but I don't blame it on all substances nor do I think they are the devil. As most things, there are pros and cons .

They used the wrong drugs or overdid it .Not all drugs are the same btw. Each substance is different. It's wrong to say all drugs are bad just because of bad experiences. I have also had bad experiences with substances but I don't blame it on all substances nor do I think they are the devil. As most things, there are pros and cons .

so please,go to those artists and say to them:

"hey mate,thanks for your great music,and by the way your brain is mentaly got lost cause u dont know how to use psy drugs,i wish u better next time,cheers"

the problem is the drugs,not the pepole.

"hey mate,thanks for your great music,and by the way your brain mentaly got lost cause u dont know how to use psy drugs,i wish u better next time,cheers"

I disagree. The problem is the people and how they use drugs. Some become alcoholic, does that mean I should stop drinking beer?

"hey mate,thanks for your great music,and by the way your brain is mentaly got lost cause u dont know how to use psy drugs,i wish u better next time,cheers"

Right. It's the same with food. Sure, you can say that people made great music because they ate food which kept them alive long enough to become artists, but what about the ones who got fat? Are you going to tell them that they got fat just because they ate too much food? The problem is food, not fat people. Eating food just isn't worth it.

I disagree. The problem is the people and how they use drugs. Some become alcoholic, does that mean I should stop drinking beer?

well i was waiting for this one...the diffrence between drinking one beer,and taking once acid...c'mon,do you think there is a place to compere between beer in Acid drops?

my friend,those pepole are there cause their brain is lost cause using years of taking psy drugs,not drinking a beer in some pub once a week.

Right. It's the same with food. Sure, you can say that people made great music because they ate food which kept them alive long enough to become artists, but what about the ones who got fat? Are you going to tell them that they got fat just because they ate too much food? The problem is food, not fat people. Eating food just isn't worth it.

mmmmmm geting clever & Sophisticated,nice Sarcastic humor...so let me make it for u more simple:

u can live without using drugs,but u CANT live without eating...

so seems i break your point in this one,isnt it?

Afgin, question for you: What about a lot of people who killed someone because of alcohol, or what about people who are very agressive while they're drinking? Here in Croatia I know a bunch of people who become primitive animal after few shots.

Point here is that every drug or even alcohol can be bad for someone who can't control it or doesn't know how to act during usage of mentioned.

well i was waiting for this one...the diffrence between drinking one beer,and taking once acid...c'mon,do you think there is a place to compere between beer in Acid drops?

You're right, when it comes to the harm they cause it's ridiculous to compare beer to acid:

Posted Image

(from here)

mmmmmm geting clever & Sophisticated,nice Sarcastic humor...so let me make it for u more simple:

u can live without using drugs,but u CANT live without eating...

Actually you can.

so seems i break your point in this one,isnt it?

No, it seems that you missed my point, which was this: just because too much of X is a bad thing, that doesn't mean that X itself is a bad thing. The fact that X may not be necessary for living doesn't change that.