Artist: Sunspot

Title: Tales of the Green Dragon EP

Label: Gliese 581C

Date: February, 2011

1. Demanding Happiness (78 BPM)

2. Experience Expanded (73 BPM)

3. Grapeyard Shift (85 BPM)

Posted Image

Like the beach? Sure you do, everyone does. Well get your suntan lotion and beach towels because you are about to take up some sand real estate.

Dutch artist Sunspot offers up a short 3 track EP in which he uses real instruments combined with some electronica to create a chilled out vibe. It is released by Gliese 581C (netlabel) and distributed by our great friend at Ektoplazm. I have never heard of him, but when the words downtempo and dub are used, my interest is peaked.

Demanding Happiness- This has reggae jam written all over it. From the small vocal samples to the live instrument bass, the beach is right in front of you. Not psychedelic at all, but it brings a calming peace. Not a lot of variation and I could see where it might get boring, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Experience Expanded- Another track that seems to use real live instruments. I like it, but he knows he can use a computer right? More reggae vibes which sound like a soundtrack to an afternoon on a windy beach. There is good acoustic guitar work and some electronics but this is all about nodding your head.

Grapeyard Shift- Deep sweeps and a funky drummer in the beginning make this one my favorite. Soft percussive thumping makes me almost believe I have a Corona with lime in my left hand. The track has the same characteristics as the previous two and truth be told, this EP could be one long track.

This is a nice EP that is all about relaxation. True all the tracks sound the same, but I believe one of it's strongest points is the use of real world instruments. It's not about psychedelia because, well... there really isn't any. Imagine sitting on a beach in Jamaica in the early afternoon under an umbrella as the wind blows across the waves. Maybe you're on your 3rd or 4th Corona and then you realize...there are still 5 more days left in your vacation. :) It's not very intricate and there is no stories to be told, but it is super relaxing. If you still have any doubts, just remember that it's free.

Download here.

Mdk

it's nice to see my EP reviewed here, thanks for that! :D

PS you're doing an awesome job keeping this forum alive

Thank you very much for your kind words. This site gave so much to me back in the day, that I feel I should give back.

Mdk