ok dubstep has just officially become un-cool now...

Lemmiwinks

A track of her that has dubstep rhythm is making a music genre uncool ? :blink:

Exactly what I was thinking. Dubstep still produces quality music whether Britney here sticks her butt into it or not. The only problem I have with the song is it's going to give people the wrong idea of what dubstep really is since she's so well known regardless of her talent.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QYeBh4nD4I

Now that's much better.

Whos ducking cares about Britney ? <_< . A track of her that has dubstep rhythm is making a music genre uncool ? :blink:

Fuck britney in the ass :ph34r: now thats cool eh

the thing is that when EVERYONE wants a piece of the scene then you know that the scene is going down the drain... like I said in another topic, artists who used to be legends of the underground like Benga and Rusko are now producing shitty dance cross-overs and this Britney track is just the topping on the cake. I'm really amazed to see how fast this scene went from something fresh and underground to what it is today

PS yeah, fucking Britney in the ass WOULD be cool indeed :P

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVKLcaIAE8

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNhPYj-5rIY

the thing is that when EVERYONE wants a piece of the scene then you know that the scene is going down the drain... like I said in another topic, artists who used to be legends of the underground like Benga and Rusko are now producing shitty dance cross-overs and this Britney track is just the topping on the cake. I'm really amazed to see how fast this scene went from something fresh and underground to what it is today

PS yeah, fucking Britney in the ass WOULD be cool indeed :P

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVKLcaIAE8

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNhPYj-5rIY

If you care how cool or underground a scene is, it says a lot about how you listen to music or maybe even how you judge people around youl. I mean these topics are around since I know you and I wonder if you still haven't found another way to define yourself besides with the fact how underground the music is that you listen to. I mean it's a bit similar to your topic where you bitch about Protoculture because one of his tracks gets played by Armin van Buuren (and later you even make a topic about how nice it his when commercial artists use goa elements in their tracks even when the trackstyle is pretty similar to Protoculture's).

I wonder why you have the idea that dubstep (or psytrance) is so different form any other genre. I mean you have commercial and/or crappy releases and you have the top-notch stuff. If you don't care to dig for the pearls because there is some crap around it's your problem. As far as I can tell you are acting exactly the same like the people who only listen to music that is on top of the charts. Only that your criteria for the music is the exact opposite.

If you care how cool or underground a scene is, it says a lot about how you listen to music or maybe even how you judge people around youl. I mean these topics are around since I know you and I wonder if you still haven't found another way to define yourself besides with the fact how underground the music is that you listen to. I mean it's a bit similar to your topic where you bitch about Protoculture because one of his tracks gets played by Armin van Buuren (and later you even make a topic about how nice it his when commercial artists use goa elements in their tracks even when the trackstyle is pretty similar to Protoculture's).

I wonder why you have the idea that dubstep (or psytrance) is so different form any other genre. I mean you have commercial and/or crappy releases and you have the top-notch stuff. If you don't care to dig for the pearls because there is some crap around it's your problem. As far as I can tell you are acting exactly the same like the people who only listen to music that is on top of the charts. Only that your criteria for the music is the exact opposite.

hmmm well, first of all, "this is underground so it's great vs. this is commercial crap" topics were very common back in the days if you remember, and not just by me, remember all the "this was released by Perfecto Fluoro so I won't touch it with a 10 foot-pole" kindof comments? I don't know, maybe things are different today but back in the days underground meant that artists could just concentrate on making good music instead of making music that might appeal to the greatest number of people. And the music is just one part of it: an underground scene also means people who make parties just for fun and not profit, and people attending them for the music and not to dress up and be all like "hey look how cool I am!!" etc. It's a whole system that revolves around the music and the change in the music itself reflects a change in the mentality of people around it (the DJs, the artists, the party-goers etc). For me, an underground scene isn't just about being different, it's kindof a little island in our modern society that still stands in the way of consumerism, profit-making, ego-flattering, etc

Anyway, maybe I'm an idealist but that's just the way I see things :)

Nice to see you back BTW :)

Of course I remember that. ;) And exactly because of that I think it's kinda strange it is still such an item for you. I still fail to see why people (well, you in that context) think that music that is liked and bought by a lot of people automaticaly it is just made to please and not because the artist himiself likes it that way. Same as I fail to see why people who make parties for a more underground style only make them for the fun. As far as I know you can still make a profit with less known stuff because people are happy for every event they can attend, ergo you can calculate what crowd you attract. Or you can organise a huge event with well-known names and still make it for the fun because you love that music. Sure, fun is one thing but if you can make a little money with it, you're not angry about it either I guess. At last that was how some organisers I knew handeld it back in the day (and then fighting about money because this or that person bought coke with it and what not...). And you can't tell me that there are no people at underground parties, dressing in a certain way (depending on the style of the scene) who are actually want to be regarded as cool. Same as you still have big commercial psy parties where people don't give a fuck if they fit in the dressing code of the scene. And so on... It is this categorised thinking that annoys me in the end. Why be so black & white only?

I mean the change in the mentality of the people is there, but sometimes it is only assumed because all styles change over time and sometimes you don't like that change. Judging a whole style because one pop-star like B. Spears uses one element in a song (not even braging about dubstep or anything) seems kinda childisch to me. You will always have elements of a scene that want to make shitloads of money with it after a certain point, you just can't stop that. But if you care to look you will also always find more underground parties and music in the same style. So why not enjoy the good stuff instead of promoting tunes from Britney Spears?

I mean on one hand you say underground is not about ego-flattering on the other hand you act like it's somethign personal if an artists switches to a style you don't like or if a genre gets more popular than you would want it.

Oh, and hi Lemmi. Long time no see. B)

I think I used to think along those lines awhile back. But now that I think back on it, it seems very hipster-ish to act that way. Not I'm saying anybody here is a hipster but when in it comes down to it, it doesn't matter.

I mean, I never really go to music gigs for the music's sake. At the time I wasn't really interested in going to concerts unless it was for a band/artist I really liked. I got to see A Perfect Circle before they went their separate ways and that was pretty cool. But of course it wasn't really an underground scene. That was the consumerism side, I suppose.

Anyway, unless you have your own little scene going where nobody pays for tickets or anything and you're just chilling with your friends in the woods or in someone's backyard listening to some fresh music, I can see how people can get frustrated if those kinds of get-togethers are fewer and far between when the fresh music starts having a bigger impact and now you have to go pay to get into show or something to still have the experience you once had. It's like you've been supporting the producers/DJs for the ingenuity only eventually to be "repaid" back with watered-down material and having to go to more expensive venues just to hear anything good (hypothetically, if that was the direction it took roughly). You feel like your effort was almost for naught. I could see it from that angle.

But if you were paying to go see underground music from the start, I would think less of being betrayed because it's already grown to a point where consumerism/the mainstream can start to bank on it. I'm not necessarily totally against mainstream getting into everything underground because it usually does and people have to feed themselves somehow. My only concern now-a-days is people who get confused/judgmental about a genre because they've only heard snippets of it from watered-down mainstream-ish tunes. Same thing goes for myself, I'm trying to be less judgmental about music I don't necessarily like.

I'm not sure where I was going with this post but I think this is a good spot to stop.

Embarassingly, I quite enjoyed that.

I can see how shoit it really is and I doubt I'll go out of my way to listen to it again but it was not ear splittingly awful!

Is Britney banging on about how she's now dubstep? If not, I don't see this as much of a problem for the scene. It might still have a few years left in it yet :P

Mandatory.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

LOL it seems that some fans are even more far off than she is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course I remember that. ;) And exactly because of that I think it's kinda strange it is still such an item for you. I still fail to see why people (well, you in that context) think that music that is liked and bought by a lot of people automaticaly it is just made to please and not because the artist himiself likes it that way. Same as I fail to see why people who make parties for a more underground style only make them for the fun. As far as I know you can still make a profit with less known stuff because people are happy for every event they can attend, ergo you can calculate what crowd you attract. Or you can organise a huge event with well-known names and still make it for the fun because you love that music. Sure, fun is one thing but if you can make a little money with it, you're not angry about it either I guess. At last that was how some organisers I knew handeld it back in the day (and then fighting about money because this or that person bought coke with it and what not...). And you can't tell me that there are no people at underground parties, dressing in a certain way (depending on the style of the scene) who are actually want to be regarded as cool. Same as you still have big commercial psy parties where people don't give a fuck if they fit in the dressing code of the scene. And so on... It is this categorised thinking that annoys me in the end. Why be so black & white only?I mean the change in the mentality of the people is there, but sometimes it is only assumed because all styles change over time and sometimes you don't like that change. Judging a whole style because one pop-star like B. Spears uses one element in a song (not even braging about dubstep or anything) seems kinda childisch to me. You will always have elements of a scene that want to make shitloads of money with it after a certain point, you just can't stop that. But if you care to look you will also always find more underground parties and music in the same style. So why not enjoy the good stuff instead of promoting tunes from Britney Spears?I mean on one hand you say underground is not about ego-flattering on the other hand you act like it's somethign personal if an artists switches to a style you don't like or if a genre gets more popular than you would want it.Oh, and hi Lemmi. Long time no see. B)

ok ok I know that not everything is black and white, for example back in the days organizers could afford to throw "free" parties because they made more than enough profit from selling drugs at the venues, something that is unthinkable today with all the crackdown on drugs. And yes, fans take it personal when a scene takes a direction they don't like (most of the time more commercial), that is only normal IMO, if you see someone you love take a wrong turn in life, wouldn't you feel frustrated? Why not be with an artist/ scene you admire then? That's one of my main problems today with music, it seems that people just don't care anymore, it's as if music is just something playing in the background of a party that isn't really important. Like WTF??? it's ALL about the music!! Anyway, just my 2 cents...

LOL it seems that some fans are even more far off than she is :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok ok I know that not everything is black and white, for example back in the days organizers could afford to throw "free" parties because they made more than enough profit from selling drugs at the venues, something that is unthinkable today with all the crackdown on drugs. And yes, fans take it personal when a scene takes a direction they don't like (most of the time more commercial), that is only normal IMO, if you see someone you love take a wrong turn in life, wouldn't you feel frustrated? Why not be with an artist/ scene you admire then? That's one of my main problems today with music, it seems that people just don't care anymore, it's as if music is just something playing in the background of a party that isn't really important. Like WTF??? it's ALL about the music!! Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Comparing an artist switching his style with let's say a friend of yours starting to shoot up heroin (taking a wrong turn in life) is imho pretty stupid because it is way out of proportion. And if it is all about the music then why do you care if it is rated as commercial or not or who is making it? Britney uses dubstep elements in one of her songs and the whole genre is uncool for you now? Does not sound like it's about the music. If it were then you would imho try to listen to it unbiased. Means it wouldn't matter to you if a psy artists switches to regular trance (bad) or a trance artist using psy elements (good) as long as you like the outcome (ok, that's about the other topics you posted but your attitude is kinda similar).

Lol who said anything about heroin? When I said a wrong turn in life I was thinking more in the lines of making a bad career choice or dating some supperficial person. And no, I wasn't talking only about Britney, there is a whole wave of watered-down dance acts with dubstep elements hitting the radios lately, just check out my other youtube links on this topic, or compare Excision's Shambala 2010 mix to his 2009 mix to see just how much the scene has changed in about a year. Britney is just the proverbian drop that spilled the cup hence the point where there are SOOO many weak-ass dance acts that hijacked the scene that it has nothing to do with the original vibe anymore (just my opinion of course...). And obviously if I complain it's because I DON'T like the new turn in the scene ;)

They only hijack the scene if the original producers stop/give up making the music. They haven't, so they didn't hijack the scene... Yet.

Benga (Katy B ) and Rusko are making it, and the general vibe is towards these kinds of tracks (just check out Excision's Shambala 2010), the scene is definately being hijacked IMO ;)