Artists you consider highly underrated

ollylovesgoa

I hope this thread takes off :P

Pretty self-explanatory:

My first one is Hunab Ku. The album Magick Universe isn't talked about nearly enough, it is absolutely beautiful, definetly up there with Trust in Trance, Alien Protein etc, (I wont go so far as to equal it with I.F.O, but there you go). It sounds a bit old but I think that's what he was going for, truly keeping the oldschool spirit alive with his tremendous ability with melodies.

Secondly, Masaray. This is really old stuff but just great. Time Traveller of Trance as well as Cosmic Trancer are my favourites. Really dramatic, indian influenced, primtive but intelligent Goa trance. If you haven't heard it, get on it!

And lastly a lesser known group called Gangnia. "It Came From the 4th Dimension" is a gem that blew me away when I heard it. Very acidic, very eery, pounding, pumping and surprising Old School. Listening to the album all the way through is an experience, and i don't think enough people did that but only heard songs on compilations, so Gangnia didn't get the recognition they deserve.

Right, give me yours!

I agree with Hunab Ku. Magik Universe is probably my favorite goa album.

I don't own the actual CD though because it's so rare and expensive. It's my holy grail I suppose.

Though since it's made by the Dimension 5 boys, at least their talent isn't unheard of, just that particular album.

The psytech/trance style as a whole is criminally underappreciated. The artists I've listed below have gone over really really well on psy-dancefloors while I was DJing, but even many fans of the style don't know who they are!

Trippy dub/hard minimal techno:

---

sgnl_fltr (AKA periskop, AKA Danny Kreutzfeldt, AKA Sectorchestra; many releases freely downloadable on Stadtgruenlabel.com and Periskop.cc)

Minimal psy/tech:

---

Anakoluth (minimal goa/psy/tech, 2 EPs freely downloadable @ ektoplazm.com)

Cisco Arias ('Tetrakys' EPs freely downloadable @ ektoplazm.com)

Brian Burger (free EP @ ektoplazm.com)

Dan Rotor (free EP @ ektoplazm.com)

Fuzzion

Max Pollyul (free EP @ ektoplazm.com)

Trevor MacGregor (AKA the well-appreciated Kalumet)

Tech/trance:

---

Axiomata

Nuclear Ramjet (Liquified EP freely downloadable @ ektoplazm.com)

Platform

Tetraktys (some free releases @ ektoplazm.com)

Harder psy/tech:

---

Authentik (AKA Three Point Turn)

Boo-Reka (AKA Hujaboy)

Manibus

PPS Project

Source Unknown

Opsis

Three Point Turn (AKA Authentik)

Trimada

Tripiatrik (AKA/in Face, Snug as a Bug, Paps, Yumade)

Triplex

:) If you like psytechno, minimal techno, tech house, psy house or tech trance, any of these will probably make you very happy.

Xamanist (stuff on Ektoplazm)

Alienated Buddha (Released on brilliant album on Orion with self made music software thingy, impressive on acid + you'll find a lot f free tracks on the google when searching their name)

(::)

I don't think there are underrated artists in the psy scene. It's just that this scene is small, really small, and there are so many artists - due to the fact that writing a track and releasing it is way too easy.

Take me as an example: I don't know, aside you guys over the internet, a single guy who listen to psy more frequently than to, say, AC/DC.

It may seem that the scene is big, because we talk so much about psy in the cyber world. But, let's check. I don't think that Psynews has more than 80 really active members, Isratrance must have 100 or so.

I am a member of the biggest forum in my country, with organizer, artists, deco crews, labels all there - there must be 30 people who really take part in the scene.

You may argue that festivals like BOOM and Ozora attract tens of thousands of people. Again, let's be realistic: of these tens of thousands, most are "parachuters" - people who enjoy psy, but also hip-hop,

rock, pop, etc.

Also, add to this formula, the average mediocrity of men: good stuff doesn't please the crowds. Britney, Rihanna, are here to prove that true.

@Procyon

I like Rihanna. Her voice is somehow special. Not Britney, though.

@topic

I always get the feeling that Wildthings Records' producers don't get the props they deserve. E.V.P, RealityGrid, Archaic, Error Corrective...Free-Quency Modulator by Archaic is just soooo good!

I don't think there are underrated artists in the psy scene. It's just that this scene is small, really small, and there are so many artists - due to the fact that writing a track and releasing it is way too easy.

Take me as an example: I don't know, aside you guys over the internet, a single guy who listen to psy more frequently than to, say, AC/DC.

It may seem that the scene is big, because we talk so much about psy in the cyber world. But, let's check. I don't think that Psynews has more than 80 really active members, Isratrance must have 100 or so.

I am a member of the biggest forum in my country, with organizer, artists, deco crews, labels all there - there must be 30 people who really take part in the scene.

You may argue that festivals like BOOM and Ozora attract tens of thousands of people. Again, let's be realistic: of these tens of thousands, most are "parachuters" - people who enjoy psy, but also hip-hop,

rock, pop, etc.

Also, add to this formula, the average mediocrity of men: good stuff doesn't please the crowds. Britney, Rihanna, are here to prove that true.

You could not be more wrong :)

The scene is huge and you can not rule out people just because they also listen to rock and pop etc.. They still count and the whole vision and "ideology" of this scene - the way it was intended - was to welcome all people no matter race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, music taste etc. The point is that a person is not less "psy" because he or she also have a life apart from the psytrance scene.

Do not mistake some underground online forums with the scene in the world. 0.0001% of the scene visit these forums. Even back in the beginning of the 90's I played to 15-20.000 people. And this was way before the scene had Festivals. Today you have huge Festivals all summer year round worldwide and on top of this you got a huge amount of parties locally in each country. The scene has expanded drastically since it's birth in the early 90's. You got way more countries into psytrance today than ever before.

You could not be more wrong :)

The scene is huge and you can not rule out people just because they also listen to rock and pop etc.. They still count and the whole vision and "ideology" of this scene - the way it was intended - was to welcome all people no matter race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, music taste etc. The point is that a person is not less "psy" because he or she also have a life apart from the psytrance scene.

Do not mistake some underground online forums with the scene in the world. 0.0001% of the scene visit these forums. Even back in the beginning of the 90's I played to 15-20.000 people. And this was way before the scene had Festivals. Today you have huge Festivals all summer year round worldwide and on top of this you got a huge amount of parties locally in each country. The scene has expanded drastically since it's birth in the early 90's. You got way more countries into psytrance today than ever before.

I agree with Elysium. I listen to a lot of other genres. TBH, listening only to psy/goa would drive me up the wall. Open-mindedness is one of the reasons why I like(d) going to psy-parties. And if a party is good, there's nothing quite like it. I'll bet a lot of people enjoy listening to other genres AND psy/goa. Limiting the scene to the few people who visit psy-fora on the net wouldn't do it just.