7. Damage

SMASHED

8. Aftertouch (rmx)

KHOPAT

9. Fundamental Resonance

EARWORM

10. ItKillsYouUp

SIDHARTHA

Ok, lately I have been sh*tting all over some psytrance compilations, but I want you to know that I don't get any enjoyment out of it. Hold up....that's not true, some of those have allowed me to write some funny stuff. You know maybe those of us in the scene are just more discerning about the quality of our music. Have you heard these tools lately?

Posted Image

I understand wanting to make a buck, but sometimes you just have to say no.

Just because you can put music on a CD doesn't necessarily mean you should. Take Usher. There is no denying that he is talented, but for God's sake you're 32!!! You're singing the same stuff you did when you were 17. You want to make love in the club? We'll see how long that lasts when your son comes home singing skeet skeet skeet.

The fact I can scream into my refrigerator or slam my fingers in a door and put a beat behind it doesn't make me Shpongle. Or....does it? My point is that I believe just like in the commercial music arena we have artists and labels that are very willing to release subpar music in search of the almighty doll...yuan.

Posted Image

Ouch...that stings.

Where was I? Oh yeah, Hypergate Records was started by Sidhartha and is responsible for the absolute smash by Alienn called Cosmic Matter. The style is twilight and right up my alley.

Multiverse- "He thinks you traveled to another universe."

Khopat and Sidhartha team up as Karmacorp to deliver a pretty good opening track. It moves well, being groovy and somewhat dark. The synths swirl around each other and have the backing of lasers that fire indiscriminately. The break has a nice sample with some nice percussion work as it gathers steam for the crescendo.

Braindead- Rabdom L has long been a stable in the twilight scene but unfortunately he delivers a disappointing track. There isn't much evolution and it plods along like it's on crutches. No twists, no turns, just going forward. It's not bad, but I have heard him make better stuff. I think it comes off sounding thin and a little too full-oney for me.

Sequence Initialize- Concept's Vicious Circle and Tryon's Twilight Solution are two very good albums that are definitely worth owning. This one has a good groove, complete with lasers and synths crawling about from the dark. The acid is delicious as it sprays like a popped fire plug. The break brings ominous sounds with a vocal computer sample. Alien sounds echo off surfaces reminding me of the creatures in Pitch Black. I could've done without the overplayed scream into the second break, but that is a minor quibble. The acid lead near the end is like an Electric Universe Space Tribe combo that works very well. Great track!

Posted Image

Tic Tac- With a swirling synth intro and some funky percussion the beat rages on. Stabs blare as a pretty good groove emerges from the bass line. Acid riffs scrape as this track picks up in intensity. The break has an interesting bass effect, love the creativity. As the new lead gurgles it plays a cat and mouse game as more metallic sounds take over. Great groove and not bad everywhere else.

Synthetic Alchemy- The effects give this an alien feel, as the bass line gallops away. When synths combine they really add depth to the sound with lead after lead. The break has plenty of cyber like sounds echoing off cold metal but the acid isn't far. It weaves, tentatively at first, but it becomes braver as the break unwinds. With a surge more sounds bring the power and it becomes very volatile. Great track.

Damage- Never heard of this artist. But it is delightfully dark and space themed. As a matter of fact, this is how I felt when I heard it:

Posted Image

The track builds, with great leads and samples, never giving too much away. Some of the sounds are ridiculously alien. Acidic nastiness coats you like an acid rainshower and the groove drives the point home. Much more of this please!

Ergeant & Quill- This is Greg Hamber and in my eyes he can do no wrong. I don't know what that title means, but he manages to deliver another head banger. Leads scream from left and right as the bass line pummels you. The beat fades into the first break, but that is only temporary as with a very real breakbeat it picks back up. More leads join the parade and the groove explodes. Juicy stuff, my brother!

Posted Image

Aftertouch Rmx- Most Khopat tracks underwhelm me but not this one. Great metallic effects and an eerie melody go hand in hand with acidic light sabers. Synth just keep getting added on, but one thing that disappointed me was the length of the sample. It played with no beat and just killed the flow. I would've liked to see him still drop a beat with that and keep things moving. As the track goes on, it picks up more acid work and another really cool melody. Listen to the end for the climax, you won't be disappointed.

Fundamental Resonance- This is Max from the good ol US of A! He is what I call a compilation king as all the tracks he has released so far have been golden. This one starts off with an ominous tone as lasers are unleashed above a rumbling bass line. Great groove, not a lot of surprises, just straight forward psy. However, with his effects and breaks he tells a good story and really pulls the track together. Pretty good.

It Kills You Up- What does that even mean? With the final track the head of label does the honors. I don't know what happened though because he goes out on a weak note. With the female vocal this backflips into commercial trance territory. The bass line has no strength, and the chopped up vocal doesn't impress me. Add in the stops and starts and build ups and I'm disappointed. I mean, it ain't terrible, but it wasn't as strong as most of the other tracks.

Posted Image

What we have here is a pleasant surprise. Most of the tracks here are acid heavy, night-time stompers with great atmosphere. A couple are a little weak, but it's rare to have 100% success rate. I was most impressed by the Smashed track as it was constructed so well and didn't lack any power. Mainstays Concept, Tryon, Xatrik and Earworm didn't disappoint. So, yeah I would recommend this to any twilight lover. Another jewel in the South African crown. Besides, if Chuck Norris likes it, you know it's good.

Posted Image

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Goastore

Mdk