Date: December, 2010

1. Out of the Mouth

2. Awesome Town

3. The Finisher

4. How Unfriendly

5. Little Gun Big Bang

6. Mr. Monkey

7. Diamonds Are For Never

In another shining example of why South Africa is the portal to Heaven, this is the home of Disasterpeace Records. They have quite the stable of artists who specialize in the awesome high speed, intense, melodic and groovy sound of the way psytrance should sound. At least according to me. What caught my attention was that Mr. Ghost (Barry Wynn) decided to release this album for free. That's right, zero scheckles. Not being one who passes up free stuff, I clicked on their website post haste to download my very own wav file. Now that I have listened to it numerous times I shall guide you through this little gem.

First, know who this is?

Posted Image

If the answer is no, then you will. This game literally changed my life. Well, this game, Doom, the movie The Crow, and lots of weed and booze. In a six degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way, indulging in the above got me kicked out of med school, forced me to move back home, take a job that I was overqualified for, but would also eventually put me together with my wonderful wife who I now will soon have 2 children with. Also, I suppose indirectly allows me to communicate with all of you and bring you my wisdom and humor.

I'm sure I could've met my wife if I graduated thereby not drowning in student debt, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Frozen Ghost is Barry Wynn and he makes some very fast, intense hyper trance in true South African style. This would be his 4th album and it's a doozy.

Out of the Mouth- Ohhhhh yeah!!!!!!!! Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?

Posted Image

This builds for the first minute or so, but in typical Ghost style being noisy and abrasive. I mean, "Sh*t I just want to get high!" The leads scramble and it is very intense, seeming to get louder as the track races on. Acid laden hyper trance in every sense of the word. Very groovy and meant solely for the dance floors.

Awesome Town- "Awesome town...population...me!"

In what I would call the most bizarre and unnecessary intro, what the f*ck? It's a very poppy, big band type of start with a blaring brass sound...but then races into his style. I'm not seeing the connection. I think this track is loaded...and I mean loaded with Duke Nukem samples. He's got the strangled leads and quick sample breaks that I love. Most of the fun of his tracks are trying to find out where the samples are from. Some buildups are annoying, but it is so fast paced that it is enjoyable.

Sweetness....simply badass.

Posted Image

The Finisher- "It's not the finisher dumbass, it's the Punisher!"

This one fits just right. Acid heavy, chaotic psy. It always seems as if it is crawling to a new climax. He uses samples very effectively as they fit well with his short breaks. More groove meant for the dancefloor even with a buildup. But hey, I might as well look for the drugs while I'm here. Fast and furious, just the way I like it.

How Unfriendly- "And when everyone's super....noone will be."

Can you really have too much Duke? I don't think so. This one is of a slower pace but no less wild and groovy. The key change deepens the sound and keeps it interesting, but what is really cool is the Incredibles sample. It fits well as his synths bang away in their crazy fashion. And really don't we all wish we had a monkey?

Little Gun Big Bang- I will have an acid laden special with a side of groove and could you go large on that? Thanks. He twists these leads until they are just lifeless husks scattered on the earthen floor. And just in case you didn't get enough Duke in the previous tracks, there are plenty more of his catch phrases to enjoy. My favorite?

"Let go of my wonder waffle!"

Mr. Monkey- As I said before, I wish I had a monkey. Err, maybe not this type of monkey. This one builds to a ferocious beating, with teeth and claws leaving blood spatter on the floor. More loud and abrasive scraping, as if 50 students with long fingernails decided to scrape their fingers down a chalkboard. And he dares you to listen to it. I believe that is a Frankenstein sample, but who can tell, as the track continues the cool lead sounds and groove aplenty. Buckle up as it only gets more loud and violent. Whew!

Posted Image

You saw that coming, right?

Diamonds Are For Never- Dirty Motion make an appearance here. I have never been a fan of remakes of TV or movie themes...for example, I forget who did it, but someone did a remake of Inspector Gadget. It comes off as silly and pointless. This is how this track was. Not as impressive and groovy as the previous tracks, and it seems like the sample here was more an intrusion than an enhancement. If I wanted prolonged stops and starts I would dig that Brainwash CD out of the trash. Hey they can't all be home runs.

Wow, don't listen to this if you have the slightest headache on the horizon. In a style that hearkens back to his first album, it is loud. It is chaotic. It is also melodic and groovy as hell. His leads can be abrasive, but he doesn't give a f*ck. Deal with it. He obviously spent as much time playing Duke Nukem as I did, so thumbs up from me. And I would guess that this would be the theme. It's dark, but still playful as he places the samples in perfect position that they flow right with the track. The man knows how to rock a dance floor. It starts to sound a little samey, but the samples keep the listener on his toes. I loved it, but I love his style anyway. And I think what we need to remember here is that it is free. So if some Frozen Ghost is what you need (and I believe everyone could use a little in their diet) then download this and turn it up loud.

Disasterpeace Records

Mdk