8. The Webs We Weave

9. What Once Was Will Be Again

10. The Problem Of Time

11. Helix (EVAC Remix)

You know who Rena Jones is?

Posted Image

What?...no. That's Florence from The Jeffersons

Posted Image

Really? That's Florida Evans from Good Times. Ya'll a bunch of racist motherf*ckers.

This is Rena Jones:

Posted Image

Yes she's pretty and I'm sure that she is sick of hearing it. I would argue that she is the most important female in the psy scene since Miranda. Liked Left Coast Liquid did ya? She was on that. Beneath The Surface which I reviewed recently? Yep, she teamed up with Bluetech and absolutely owned. This lady is not just a knob twiddler who recently picked up a demo of Cubase. She is an accomplished musician playing the cello, violin, piano, and probably that big brown jug that all the hillbilly's in the mountains are looking for.

Posted Image

Yeah, that guy. Sheesh, do you Europeans have a version of this backwoods, slow lane motherf*cker?

My point is that this young lady who now resides in Portland, Oregon has more musical ability in her little finger than probably the entire Nutek label. Throw in that she is proficient in the use of software and drum machines and you've got yourself a dynamo. This is her latest album after her 2006 release Driftwood. I haven't heard it, but if it is anything like this, I'm on board.

The Awe and the Wonder- The electronic stirrings of some slumbering animal comes awake against a very human breakbeat. The drum programming is excellent as the dubby bass hums aside the melancholy strings. This is reflective music, thinking about a time long ago or maybe a lost love. The electronic piano adds a dreamy quality as if looking through a window with fresh raindrops. Really emotional stuff.

Helix- Bass drops ring as another realistic drum beat pops. Her strings are really vivid and carry such sentiment that one cannot help but feel a pang of sadness. There is a flute and plucked strings against electronic shimmerings but it is her cello that steals the show carving out such deep emotional feelings. Sometimes I found the electronics getting in the way, but only briefly. Mellow and sublime.

Indra's Web- No question this is the belle of the ball. Slower than I would've thought possible, the strings are laid bare and I experience a Shawshank Redemption moment of clarity that I relish. The cello cuts deep and slowly twists around sparkling electronics. If this doesn't find it's way into a movie soundtrack, someone is not doing their job. Easily my favorite.

A Lullaby For Corvis- With an even slower tempo, kicks thump repeatedly as electronic growls form the foundation for her strings and her effect laden voice. It's so slow and gangsta that it could be bumped from the most tricked out Coupe De Ville and not seem out of place. More mellowness and trippy possibilities sprout form this groove like a flower in springtime. Very enjoyable.

Posted Image

Ordinary Day- The pace picks up with her breathy vocals and more electric machinations. It's happier here like sunshine after a rainstorm. Not a cello in sight, and I miss it. It's good she can work without it, but I miss it nonetheless. Kind of a placeholder.

On the Drift- Glitchy electrics, and deep, deep sub bass that rumbles while smooth melodies scratch across the sky. It moves slowly like a lumbering dinosaur as string snippets flutter above. Great groove, but a little thin on ideas. Still, cool to hear.

Point of Existence- Back to the art of melancholy with strings and juicy rumbling bass. Electronics play a backing role, as the strings tell another sad tale. The track is again deliciously slow, yet seems to have a sense of urgency. It continues to climb as the track progresses, and the strings just fade away.

The Webs We Weave- I would swear that sound is from a payout in Atlantic City with the coins dropping in the tray. You know what I'm talkin about! The bass is nice as percussive sounds echo as if in a cave. The distorted strings add depth and a far away feeling. Girl, is that some FM synthesis? It's a nice track and a good piece of chill.

What Once Was Will Be Again- A slow loping gait, real bob your head music.

Posted Image

Ahhh...no.

Laid back with that sweet sadness known as her cello. Man that is moving the way the cello sounds with the support from the electronics. You can feel the loss, and obviously the recovery that is coming. Beautiful.

The Problem of Time- The synths drive the track here, with the strings providing soothing sounds for the background. I think I prefer it the other way, as the electronic stuff seems to harsh for her beautiful cello. I would've liked this track to be more bare bones, but whatareyagonnado?

Helix (EVAC Remix)- Since I wasn't a big fan of the original, a remix might be just what the Dr. ordered. With a trip-hop vibe the beat thumps amid electronic skitterings. This could be right out of the Ultimae catalog. Percussive glitch sounds so cold, balancing out the warm strings. They hover as beeps and rapid fire hi-hats create a cyber like environment. It's kinda dark,bubbling out from the corners and really well put together. Bra.Vo.

Veeerrrrrrry impressive. Smooth, laid back, and perfect rainy day music. Her strings really compliment the use of electronics and it is some of the most passionate and thoughtful stuff I have heard. I can see where some might find it all a little to similar for a full album, but the track lengths prevent it from becoming a labor. It moves very well with good flow and I believe that all chill lovers should give this a try. Great job.

Psyshop

Goastore

Beatport

Mdk