Title: Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out

Label: Beyond Logic Records

Date: January, 2011

1 Bunny Pusher / Exaile

2 World Of Illussion (Magneto Rmx) / Azax Syndrom vs. Absolum

3 Our Rave / Double R.E.L.

4 Serotonine To The Brain / Brainwash

5 Silver Head / Technodrome

6 In Control / Karma Crop (Sidhartha vs. Khopat)

7 Tina Tomorrow / Orca

8 Syntax / Cybernetix vs. Ctrl+Alt+Del

9 Dedication Of Time / Xatrik

10 Shake N Bake / Panayota vs. Frozen Ghost

I downloaded this.

There I said it. I'm sure some of you did the same and why wouldn't you? Look at that tracklist. Some of the best artists in the twilight genre are represented here. And maybe that should've tipped me off. But...this is the label that brought us Synthetic Vision from Killer Buds. The compilations Project Sundew and Endless Euphoria. How could this turn out badly? This review will explain how I went from this

Posted Image

to this

Posted Image

Bunny Pusher- Good God is this terrible. Israelis Nir Sobol and Eyal Tzur continue their trend of releasing vapid and uninspired music. Any more commercial and there would be an 800 number at the end where you could leave your credit card. Weak beats, uninspired melodies, and of course the vocal that makes me want to push them over the edge. This doesn't bode well.

Posted Image

World of Illusion (Magneto Remix)- It's bad when I am already pleading with my favorite artist Absolum to save this sinking ship. To be fair, I don't know who Magneto is and why he is doing a remix. With a massively annoying build up things take a turn for the worse as the stops and starts grate on my nerves. Less than 3 minutes in we have already tallied 3 buildups with so many stops and starts I feel like I am in rush hour traffic. I am right about here:

Posted Image

Angry Panda doesn't think you know how to use Cubase properly.

No matter how good you are Christof you cannot get the stink of Azax of you as his generic infection is very powerful indeed. Better than the first track, but that's like saying I would rather have chlamydia than gonorrhea. Oh you will love the last buildup...it's epic.

Posted Image

Our Rave- This is Ariel Ram & Ariel Sela and after 2 albums and numerous compilations they offer a commercial turd of their own. I haven't heard their 2 releases, but if it is like this, I dodged a bullet. Boring repetitive samples , no danceable rhythms, and....dear God this was the best one yet.

What the f*ck?

Serotonine to the Brain- I am at Defcon 4 right about now with all the crap I have made myself listen to, and after their album Maximum Overdrive, there may not be any hope left. Leaving right were their contribution to the craptacular left off, we are treated to more buildups, stops and starts, and general noise pollution. Wow, this is really bad.

Silver Head- Now I like Technodrome, their album Earthquake was one of the most powerful twilight releases I have heard. This has some of the trademark acid sounds they like to bring, but also an female operatic note. Weird. The acid washes remind me of Frozen Ghost (that's a good thing) but there really isn't anything interesting here. It seems quite thin despite the crazy bass line. Still, so far it outclasses everything that came before it.

In Control- Wow, that was blander than sugar free Kool-aid. I didn't realize that all you had to do was hit play on the sequencer and let it run. I'm stunned, really.

Posted Image

Tina Tomorrow- Orca had a great debut with Fist of Fury and this starts out promising with a heavy beat and some good acid riffs. The rhythm is good and the off balance atmosphere is well created. The lead sound doesn't appeal to me, but the acid makes up for it. Not bad actually until that excruciating, and I do mean excruciating build up. The tune then descends into rave territory. Sigh.

Syntax- "Watchers from everywhere are tracking us. Anything we think we're gonna do, they know about it."

"By not knowing what were gonna do...until right before we do it."

"A plan without planning."

Another truly milquetoast offering with no power, or anything to distinguish it from the tons of other crap out there. I'm laughing, really laughing.

Dedication of Time- Now, I don't think it is possible for Xatrik to make a bad track, so if this sucks the fix is in. With a short old tyme radio broadcast sample the track pounds the skull with a fat kick and angry bass line. Cyber sounds proliferate in his dark style, with a lot of rhythm. Very danceable. There really isn't a story to be told here, just a collection of ideas jammed together for maximal enjoyment. He's made better stuff than this, but on this compilation it stands out like I would in an Al-Qaeda meeting.

Shake N Bake- With the final track, Frozen Ghost teams up with a guy whose album cover makes me think he is going to break into my house.

Posted Image

What you get is a high paced assault on your ears that is another throw away. A build up that is both noisy and annoying (wait, that's all of them). You can't see me know, but this is how I feel....

Posted Image

The biggest question here is how all of these artists were able to sell their tracks to Beyond Logic without them knowing how terrible they were. Was the quality control guy out sick that day? I have heard great music from all of these artists. Yes, even Exaile. There is none of that here. It is derivative, generic and an obvious cash grab by all these artists. Are they upset at the label and this is their version of a f*ck you? I don't think I can get across to you how atrocious this album is. I highly recommend that you avoid this album like the plague that it is.

Jesus, this is what I chose to review to start off 2011? Sad...

Beatspace

Psyshop

Goastore

Mdk

I'm very glad you enjoyed it. I try to be humorous because nobody wants to read a wall of text. I will say this...it is much easier to be humorous when the album is terrible.

Check out the praise this album receives on Isra....different strokes for different folks.

Mdk

Wow... amazing review.

thank's for sharing.

Now I don't need to have the same experience and just skip this one :lol:

I hope it doesn't set the tune for your 2011 :P (just go and listen to midnight storm 4 once again and be cured ;) )

I never understood why you hate build-ups.

Build-ups are gift from god (cheesy full on excluded). I think progressive is starting to poison your mind. :P:P:P

Build ups to me are like the easy way out. Instead of being creative and finding a way to bridge phrases insert stops and starts or a running snare and obligato string. I'm on board for an extended and descriptive break, but please you can see these build ups coming from a mile away.

There's some good progressive out there my friend!

Mdk

Build ups to me are like the easy way out. Instead of being creative and finding a way to bridge phrases insert stops and starts or a running snare and obligato string. I'm on board for an extended and descriptive break, but please you can see these build ups coming from a mile away.

There's some good progressive out there my friend!

Mdk

I'm just messing with you.

After all you're still my brother in taste. :D

Posted Image

So, explain this. Psy-trance burns out and ends up giving us releases like these, who, to an outsider, might appear as a parody on psy-trance by the sounds of it and the title of the album. So, the fact that psy-trancers enjoy the album is solidified in the fact that psy-trance has burned out... Does that make sense? The samples sound absolutely horrendous.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I dont understand, this is a double post, bacause i already had made a review of this compilation.

But that's ok, here it is:

Tracklist:

01-Exaile - Bunny Pusher:

It starts well, not too intense, but when the vocal enters... it ruins all, don't like

it and the melodies are too "happy"

5.5/10

02-Azax Syndrome vs Absolum - World of Illusion ( Magneto Remix ):

Good introduction, i dont know this artist well, but seems he's talented.

Good track.

7.5/10

03-Double r.e.l- Our Rave:

Nice pads and drums at the intro predict a good track, good bass on this one, not their

best track but it's a nice one.

7/10

04-Brainwash - Serotonine to The Brain:

Ok, this one realy gets me in! Great intro with great work creating a tense build up.

Then the tracks evoles to an amazing melody at 03:10. Can't stop listening to this track. The magic moment starts at 04:18. That reversed bass omg Great track

9.5/10

05-Technodrome - Silver Head:

Not much to tell about this guy, he makes amazing tracks and this is no exception.

Can't belive this begining.. So magic.. Realy love the first half of this track.

Nice work here.

8.5/10

06-Karmacrop - In control

Its not the best on the comp but is pretty good, being a collaboration i expected better form them, just like last track.

Give 8.5/10

07-Orca - Tina Tomorrow:

I'm loving his lasted tracks and this one follows the quality. Good bass, melodies and pace. At 04:08 he have an electric melody that is Orca's trademark.

Another great track

9/10

08-Cybernetix vs Ctl Alt Del - Syntax:

Good bass on this one. Not has good has the previous tracks, maybe too much melodic.

Not a bad track.

7./10

09-Xatrik - Dedication of Time

Love the intro on this one, and a good bass too. The most darkier track on this compilation which is good

8.5/10

10-Panayota vs Frozen Ghost - Shank N Bake:

I thought this combination would be a killer one, but this track is only good, not excellent and i was expecting that. Maybe i have to listen to it more times.

8/10

Final veredict:

8.5/10

Very solid compilation by Jafar, good selection of tracks and good cover too.

My favourite 3 tracks by order: 4, 5, 7

t2mu sorry but I do not agree with your review of this amazing album.

For me it has been one of the highlights in psy for a good few years.

this is what made me tune back into psy.

That's cool. You don't have to agree with my review. Everyone has their own tastes and that's what makes music so awesome. There is something for everyone. I like it when people have different opinions. Do you realize how boring it would be if everybody liked the same stuff?

To survey1: As far as this being a double post, I saw your review, but I think this scheduled to come out in 2011 and not 2010. Psyshop, Saiko, and Goastore have it coming out in February. So if the mods want to combine it, that's great.

Mdk