89.jpg

1. Lost Technology
2. Impossible Mirage
3. Tyrannis
4. Transmitter
5. Cryostasis
6. Molecular Probe
7. Calling Mercurio

The Scythe Of Orion is quite possibly the best Psytrance album of 2010 by a main artist. It's also one of the best Psytrance (with Goa touches) albums I have ever heard. The album is atmospheric, powerful, provocative, moody, innovative, homogenous and captivating from beginning to end. It also showcases some terrific, infectious synth lead melodies and it's dark!

This is the album I wanted E-Mantra's debut to be. It has the Goa-influence synth leads in addition with the strong soundscape textures and atmosphere. The album has a sci-fi voyager edge. There are mystical elements to add to the mythos. Chapters flow like an exciting, mature and visual story. The whole album is like one giant magical, dark (and light!), space trip through the cosmos. Did I mention immersive and visionary? This is my most favourite album by Cybernetika to date! It is awesome. I could do a track-per-track review. This thing certainly deserves it.

Cybernetika’s album combines dark and energetic Psychedelic Trance with Goa, Industrial, and what appears to be breaks and more. Each track is wildly characteristic, distinct and great if not excellent, superb. Then there's the arrangement, the attention to detail. Rarely is all of this possible with an album!

I wouldn't change a thing on the album. It's imaginative, ambitious and engaging throughout. Thank you so much for this creative work of art. It's a masterful Psy/Goa Space album with edge, atmosphere, powerful nass lines, sci-fi influence, and fantastic synth melodies and sound work. Is a sequel possible? :unsure:

Please? :wub:

Complaints?

I had to reduce the score from a close 10 to a 9 because I didn't want people to pass out from it being too awesome. I'd rather you hear the album first. I have no complaints.

Download for FREE here... Thank you Ektoplazm and Cybernetika!
http://www.ektoplazm.com/2010/cybernetika-the-scythe-of-orion

Well it took a while for me to actually properly listen to this. I first downloaded it when it came out and listened to the intro and impossible mirage, which I had heard before actaully. Then I later on I listened to it but I wasn't really in the mindset and I thought it sounded cool, but it was never heading anywhere. Then after I really was into the mood of something darker, I put Scythe Of Orion playing and oh my, what is this? Some of the most thickest atmospheres ever that my ears have graced. There is absolutely no problem with the sounds being so very computery where they lack depth and substance, every part of this album has so much atmosphere that it's ridinculous. The way I can describe this album is epic, dark, sci-fi/cyberpunk, spacey and twisted atmospheric psychedelic trance with some slight genre-crossovers, coupled with basslines that actually tend to lean towards goatrance imo. No cheesy sharp kicks here, the basslines are effin fat. Just the layering alone is what makes this album shine through every other release. The textures are so rich, the layers are many and the twists found in the tracks are freaking amazing, just look up transmitters 4:43 key change, holy god. Every track is a ride of it's own but the album as a whole is a journey, nothing feels disconnected. I will even go ahead and say that this album truly rivals the vividness of the aural imaginary of the very best, like Project Genesis, Transdimensional and Tetrahedron to name a few.

But nothing surprised me more on this album than the very last track. It is HUGE, it is MASSIVE. It has so much density in it's dark cyberpunk atmosphere that I can't really even begin to describe. The revving, the dark guitar, the twisted echoing atmosphere. Cybernetika just keeps getting better, it really is ridiculous what this guy can do. I'd love to get some insight on how he makes this stuff, it really is visionary. Modern Psytrance evolved.

Btw cocco what happened to the school grading?

Epic B) and in the true meaning of the word!

The whole album feels like a voyage into deep space, I can see the stars moving and the magnificent structure of the space-vessel traverse the seemingly eternal void! And I am on that vessel all the way :)

A perfect blend of dark and goa trance, I wish more people saw the light as Cybernetika obviously did :rolleyes: ( and especially festival organisers :P)

Great reviews Jon and Penz!

edit-

Track evaluation by personal pleasure-score:

1. Lost Technology 3.5/5

2. Impossible Mirage 5/5 ("perfect" dark Goa)

3. Tyrannis 4.5/5 (last part really reminds of Fear Factory's sound (from the Demanufacture album), totally awesome!)

4. Transmitter 4/5

5. Cryostasis 4.5/5 (I am not really sure what happens at 5:50-6:15 :huh: does not sound good, but not enough to ruin an otherwise awesome track ;))

6. Molecular Probe 4.5/5

7. Calling Mercurio 5/5 (EPIC)

• 2 weeks later...

Like Penzoline pointed out before, this truly is a monumental step in the evolution of psytrance. This guy combines so many elements from different genre's/sub-genre's that it's really hard to put into a box, and I love that. This is true Psytrance: evocative, imaginative, cinematic, insanely layered and the list goes on...

It's not only the atmosphere this guy creates that is so incredible, he also manages to deliver high quality music! His build-ups and his breaks are so well thought of and masterfully put into place. I absolutely love the arrangements, they contribute a great deal to the insane atmosphere. Like penzo said, this is up there with the dark goa classics in terms of atmosphere. And then it's free... Just incredible. So if you like Psytrance, hell even if you don't, listen to this!!

I can't really name favourite tracks because the album is so coherent in it's atmosphere and quality, even the slower tracks just drip with epicness. That aside, I particularly enjoy "Impossible Mirage", "Tyrannis" and "Calling Mercurio".

This guy actually has me looking forward to his next output already!

I am in the process of writing a review for this, but it is so entrenched in the sci-fi atmosphere that t makes me want to write a short story. I don't know if I can pull it off without sounding corny though. :(

Mdk

Why don't you give it a shot then? ;) I'm curious!

Why don't you give it a shot then? ;) I'm curious!

I tried something along those lines with the Astropilot Solar Walk review. I wasn't that pleased with it. The problem is that we as a society have seen so many movies and read so many books that whatever I write would undoubtedly seem cliche and fall into the "you got that from...x"

Mdk

• 3 months later...

Posted Image

Artist: Cybernetika

Title: The Scythe of Orion

Label: None

Date: 2010

1. Lost Technology

2. Impossible Mirage

3. Tyrannis

4. Transmitter

5. Cryostasis

6. Molecular Probe

7. Calling Mercurio

Here is another guy not signed to a label that has boatloads of talent. I don't think it's because he can't get a deal, more because he seems to make music for the love of it. Ideally that's how it should be, but we gotta eat in this world so most artists want to get paid for their work. This is Lars Goossens and he has released an absolute sh*tload of material. Quality stuff that crosses genre boarders.

Paralysis from 2005

Promo #1 from 2006

Neural Network Expansion from 2007

Nanospheric from 2008

Atropos from 2010

Here is a link to his site where you can get these albums.

The guy is like a Rolex...you can set your watch by him that he will release something each year. Like goa trance? He's done that. How bout some Dark-Psy? Oh yeah, got it covered. Psy-drumNBass? Nailed it. It's 2011 so I guess he might try some polka for his next release. One more thing...it's all for free. Costs you nothing. It's not like this is some guy on a Casio uploading stuff to the intarwebz, hell no this is quality production. Whatever genre he decides to tackle, he conquers with deep atmosphere and striking clarity. Which brings us to his latest release distributed by our great friend at Ektoplazm.

Lost Technology- "First there was darkness. Then came the Strangers. They were a race as old as time itself. They had mastered the ultimate technology."

Oh, I love me some Dark City. Computers hum and blue LED's blink with frenzied abandon as the boosters kick in. The metallic cold of pure steel gleams in the non-light deepening the sense of isolation. This drips with atmosphere and builds slowly with eerie space effects playing off the synth line. It grumbles and trudges forward with reckless abandon. 6 and a half minutes in and the first break appears. Totally wide open and far reaching with stars so far away you can never reach them. The main synth returns as does the alien feel of its touch. We are witnessing something...disturbingly unfamiliar. So good that the track flew by, and at almost 14 minutes don't think that is easy to do. What an opening!

Impossible Mirage- Mix the cold of deep space with a thunderously rumbling bass line and acidic goa melodies and you have this track. It bubbles with alien life from a far away forest and grapples with technology superior to anything we have ever dreamed. Mournful synth pads wail as a goa melody soars overhead. It gives a little, but not too much, allowing itself a moment to reorganize. An echoing melody chimes in bringing that low bass with it and the layering begins. Another triumph!

Tyrannis- The corridors are dark and cold with fog drifting slowly down their length. Another rumbling bass line with effects that speak of ghosts past. A synth line fades in as a laser cannon erupts and it is full steam ahead. When the break comes metallic clankings ripple and stabs echo with evil intent. This is dark like the movie Event Horizon and the 2nd mini break brings distorted strings that further contribute to the ghost story vibe. Frightening.

Transmitter- As if receiving radio signals from deep space the computer tabulates the information and begins its analysis. The tighter bass line is decidedly alien and the effects are just haunting. This may be a communicay we don't want to receive. The lead is a low pitched darkpsy staple but it moves with the quickness of a cat. The break brings a delightful melody that perhaps builds a bridge between the two alien life forms as it echoes off the stars. Powerful and atmospheric to the bone. Wonderful.

Cryostasis- More humming machinery to keep the passengers of the spaceflight alive and well. Right off the bat there is something different about this track with its snare and rock beat sensibility. More techno influence than trance possibly. Make no mistake we are still amongst the stars as the bass wobbles below the melancholy strings. The lead here has a goa flare to go along with the effects but the breakbeat steals the show as he shows his funky side. There were some synths that had a detuned falling effect that didn't thrill me but as a whole the package was very imaginative.

Molecular Probe- Let's face it, nobody wants to be probed.

Posted Image

See? That's gotta hurt going back in.

More effect driven psytrance with a great attention to detail. It's dark and bouncy with alien sounds floating high overhead. The bass line switches as pads wash over everything. The goa melody here is kick ass! and the break is full of tension. Are they really going to stick that...you know...down there? The next few minutes sound like they are deciding if anal probing can teach them anything further. The end melody is so outer space and tasty and it comes full circle with the goa flavor. So this had some good ol psy, goa, and darkpsy rolled into a pretty rocking bundle.

Calling Mercurio- This is a slow churning bit of metallic industrial cyber technology. The leads rip, with lots of reverb and delay, moving with speed over the slow beat. Crawling like Brundlefly at the end of the movie. The guitars don't ruin it at all and remind me a lot of Reptilian by NIN. The break oozes otherworldliness, bubbling to an eerie conclusion. The bass meanders this way and that like the S/H Hold on my old DX27 and the guitars come back to guide you. Pretty f*cking massive.

What an awesome ride this was. There is a heavy science fiction vibe here that was flawless. Too many times it can be campy with annoying samples and cliche structure, but his atmosphere was very lush and he maintained it through the entire album. The sound was crystal clear and that definitely helped. His use of effects reminded me of every sci-fi movie I have ever seen with awesome visuals. It's dark and it's a moody masterpiece. Easily one of the best psytrance releases of 2010.

Get it free at Ektoplazm

Mdk

What a great review Trance2MoveU, thank you so much for taking the effort of writing this review. Also gave me some good laughs :D

It's 2011 so I guess he might try some polka for his next release.

hey, dont give away my secret plans for PsyPolka! :)

This:

Easily one of the best psytrance releases of 2010.

and this:

What a great review Trance2MoveU

One of my favorites from last year. To be honest, I'm not into darkpsy too much but Cybernetika's vision of that genre is something special and full respect for publishing this masterpiece for free! Can't wait to hear more :)

• 1 month later...

yet another great artist that doesn't have a label. Well I've acutally been familiar with Cybernetika for a while now, I think my first encounter with him was around 2007 and an absolute killer dark psy track called "2653" wich is still in my fave dark psy tunes of all times list. That said, knowing the guy and his style I was bit suprised to see that, although still dark his music is has taken a turn to more lighter teritories. Standouts for me are Lost Technology, Tyrannis (!!!) and the closing breakbeat track Calling Mercurio. BTW in case you didn't know it, this guy makes some of the best breakbeat psy out there! However, the other tracks didn't quite do it for me, hence only 3,5/5 from me...

• 2 years later...

Cybernetika: The Scythe Of Orion
Ektoplazm Records

89.jpg

1. Lost Technology
2. Impossible Mirage
3. Tyrannis
4. Transmitter
5. Cryostasis
6. Molecular Probe
7. Calling Mercurio

The Scythe Of Orion is superb thanks to its visionary approach that includes strong atmosphere, sci-fi/space, cyber, technology and more! The sub-genre crossovers are fantastic on this album.

1. Lost Technology begins dark, setting precedent for the rest of the album. There is a sample from Dark City early on. Then the atmosphere grows thick. Soon after, a bass line arrives that adds to the darker feel. The synth work is intriguing. A lead enters around 3:00; others soon join the voyage. There is even an opera tune in the fifth and sixth minute, before the interlude. This is just one example of the innovative aspects of this song. The interlude is interesting (without spoiling) and the returning music is powerful and chilling. The ending especially strengthens the mood and is cinematic. This is an epic song in the sense it's 13:56. I'd say that's pretty epic as opposed to using the word synonymous for excellence (it's that too). I love that the artist takes risks and the imagination, in addition to having awareness for what works and is engaging. In doing so, he seems content on pushing the limits, increasing what's possible with the track. The results are fantastic. Finally a talented artist with balls. Lost Technology is a superb track, and you haven't even heard the best on this album yet. A

2. Impossible Mirage has less varity than the opening, however it develops nicely and grows with strength and intelligence. The metallic synth effects are great along with the atmosphere. The dark driving force is relentless and filled with creative soundscapes. But it's the transition around 5:35 into the final third that really stands out. The combination of melodies feel present with the worldy atmosphere they inhabit, and grow catchier as they progress. The song evolves further at 7:15. Synth sound effects are utilized in a way, that they sound like a spinning blade skimming across pieces of wood. This approach is used as a synth lead in a sense, and enhances the feel of the song. The concept reminds me of the metallic synths on Toi Doi's Technologic to some degree too. Only here it's quite different. The artist's song isn't repetitive (one of my issues with Technologic at times), but remains interesting and edgy throughout. The song is like a quick character who doesn't seem to possess many abilities. But by the end of his training, he returns with all types of sweet weapons and powers that add to what he's capable of. Excellent track. A-

3. Tyrannis along with the others, begins with character, mood and tone. This was more present on Lost Technology due to its intro having more ideas and development. I love the more higher octane feel of this song. It's very animated, versatile and dynamic! These are reasons why I love Goa-Trance (songs evolve). This artist has crossed over some of the best ideas from Goa-Trance while implementing many of his own into a Psy-Trance friendly world as if both have become one. At 3:14, one of the catchiest leading synths arrives. This thing (catchy/intensity wise, not similar sounding) is like something out of Tandu - Multimoods! The second supporting (gothic choir-esque) element that falls in is terrific, as well as an effect that soon follows. The song is fantastic, and we're not even halfway though it. After the interlude, the energy grows more dynamic, rich and immersive with details. In addition, the blazing lead returns! Everything flowing together sounds enormously catchy, and the intense edge adds excitement! The final minutes have a cinematic feel while never sounding presumptuous or too soundtrack-y either. I love the last several minutes of this song, and I love that I was so impressed with this song before then, that the artist took things even further when I was already enamored. I feel like this music was made for my ears, our ears. It's very special. This track is, perfect to me. I enjoy listening to it so much. Well done! A

4. Transmitter has a less evocative introduction as Impossible Mirage did. The introduction is interesting and atmospheric, and develops nicely. Hints of beauty arrive early, and then exit for a strong bass line that invites beautiful ambient and sparkling melodies at around 3:00. The song continues to grow in beauty, even as grittier synth work and textures arrive until the harmonious sounds like stars shimmering are pushed out. There is a really nice interlude at 4:44, and the melodic rhythm returns, both evolved and just as gripping at 6:00. The echoes of the melodies fade out as the atmosphere becomes more present. The song is like a fantasy romance between stars co-existing in a massive dimension of cosmic darkness and allure. The artist did a great job showcasing emotion, harmony and intrigue while not letting go of his fantasy/dark element but raising the bar on fantasy. I love the melodies in this song, though they could have been developed in their arrangement a bit more, possibly towards the last third which isn't as taking it further (spectacular) as some of the other tracks. Nonetheless, there is improvement in the last few minutes. I'm impressed with how the artist approached and combined elements of light with dark. Transmitter adds another well developed, mature and characteristic jewel on the album. It's excellent. A-

5. Cryostasis creates its tone within seconds. This song is radically different from the others, due to altered tempo and approach with the drum beat. A quarter from the second minute sees melodies and the inclusion of atmosphere that feels story driven and fairly cinematic. I like when the beat and music grows catchier at 2:36. The industrial/metal effects compliment them, and at around 3:30 there's an unique interlude as if the synth is being diced with tasty arrangement. The (from 3:30 to 4:46) isn't that great however. I enjoyed the song more before it. Fortunately, when the beat returns at 4:47, the music varies up; it's solid as new ideas are executed. But then at 5:49 to 6:15, again I begin to waiver as a synth appears to be going through the motions. The next sentence of ideas is gripping! Key changes shift the music back into having a more provocative, storytelling feel. The beat switches up at around the seventh minute and the song continues to lead strong as it grows more psychedelic into the eighth minute. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that really compliments the track by this point, and 8:26, the added sounds fail to capture my attention. I feel that the song used up its best ideas earlier on (seventh minute). Overall I think this is a very good track. It's just nothing terrific as a whole and could have benefited from some tightening and tweaking, maybe trimming off a minute or two and touching up some moments throughout. B+

6. Molecular Probe begins with chilling, haunting atmosphere. The ambient adds to the feel, as if we're in a cemetary filled with fog, ghosts and the dead, or entering a planet filled with intoxicating, dark spiritual and mystical energy. This track, for me eat least, is the last enormously satisfying number on the album. That;s not to say that the final number isn't powerful, great either It's just less infectious to me; I love the animated, Goa-influenced elements on this song. I love the sound of alarm or concern at 2:31, the muddled voices as if someone is trying to communciate from another dimension. Tasty synths move across the senses as the song continuously develops. Impressive is how they fluidly merge into the energetic pool of sounds via 3:25, producing an emotive and arresting sound. Suddenly, an magnetic lead enters and enhances the song further. Also worth noting is the dark atmosphere, the melody heavy and psychedelic approaches on both this song and album. The previous track chilled a bit in the melody department, and could have been catchier at times, and towards the end. Molecular Probe on the other hand is very imaginative and almost indescribable at times. There's not a moment where I'm not engaged. Another strength is at 7:06, the shuffling sounds. This ingredient is very catchy, distinct; it add to the song. Furthermore, the artist brings back the storytelling, melody driven leads and evocative feel from earlier on. All of these elements are about to have an orgy until an interlude jumps in, shortly past the eighth minute. It's risky that the artist did this, but the maneuver heightens suspense. I don't want to spoil everything but what takes place at 9:25 is what I imagined. I couldn't be happier. The culmination of everything climaxing together is infectious. From one synth lead to the next; this all happens with key changes, a terrific bass line, evocative soundscape textures and more. There's even piano in the last two minutes! The piano to me isn't as necessary but damn it, it works just fine. This is one of the best songs I've heard. Is it possible for a sequel to this album I wonder? Amazing work. Superb track! A

7. Calling Mercurio is massive, dark and dense. The mid-tempo number is loaded with think soundscapes, a powerful bass line, and sounds, atmosphere thick to the point it would block out the sun if this wasn't comprised of sound waves. But it sounds like so much more than mere sounds, as if a world has been created. I have so many visuals while hearing these songs. As the vehicle pushes onward, a female voice sample emerges, followed by a dynamic drum shift and accent. The synth work is trippy, innovative and animated, yet the heaviness of the song is so successfully crafted that it influences everything in it. I'm not sure how the artist makes his synths sound so distinct from anything I've heard. Here the work is exceptionally different, alien and gripping. The ambient notes add to the evocative feel as the structure approaches an atmospheric wall. The middle section is interesting, suspenseful. As opposed to this thing ending at 7:30 (I'm glad it didn't), it moves further like an impregnable machine; its design grows more elaborate and vivid. After another voice sample, the ambient melody and its supporting sounds shift within the vast and isolated darkness. The atmosphere pulls in at around 7:45, and releases an altered beat with a sinister combination of delectable synth work. Additionally, the artist tweaks and enhances this beast in its final two minutes. This is a wildly creative and monstrous track that concludes this epic voyage with storytelling arc and substance. There is a cold and lifeless feel to this otherwise animated, immersive track, as influenced by the artist whose approach I find less enjoyable and exciting than some of the other songs here. But I'm impressed with this track; it enhances the album and doesn't care what you think. Like it or not, this song you won't be forgetting anytime soon. A

The Scythe of Orion is one of the best albums I have ever heard. I feel like this album was made for my ears and I'm sure many of you feel the same. The album's imaginative, ambitious, atmospheric(!) and dark(!), incredibly catchy and intriguing(!). Furthermore, it breaks new ground and the attention to detail is marvelous. Few albums are this immersive and visionary. I feel like a little kid at times listening to this, jumping up and down inside at how happy and satisfied I am with the songs. Few albums or artists for that matter take so many risks while getting so much right. I feel like a huge amount of time, passion and energy went into producing this album. Scythe… is dark and vast, and yet it has heart and spirit, suspense and vision! The album feels cinematic at times while never sounding soundtrack-y, as Juno Reactor's Labyrinth album was (for many) at times. The level of accomplishment here deserves to be praised, I feel and appreciated. I'm very impressed with this artist's work, and his work in general (but this is my favorite of all his 8 or so free album releases). He is incredibly talented. Well done!, and thank you for producing this superb work of craftsmanship.

Favourite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7

A-

Download for FREE here, from the artist and Ektoplazm.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/cybernetika-the-scythe-of-orion

To the artist: How do you feel about the idea of a sequel to this? I'm just putting the idea out there because I enjoy this albums so much. Only if you have the interest, passion and vision for 7 more worlds. If not, forget it. :)

• Like 1