all my music everywhere i go...

ouroboros

i dont know if everyone knows about this yet. i just got a great app for my phone (i have an android but they have it for iphone as well).

first let me say...its completely free.

its the audiogalaxy app. it will stream your entire music collection to your mobile device. no more worrying about how much space you have on your phone.

so far im loving it.

anyone else using it?

how does it work??

ummm....magic?

lol im not sure....basically it syncs your music files to some sort of cloud server then streams it directly to your phone. it doesnt store them there though, so if you want to use it you need to leave your computer on at home.

check their website for a better explanation.

how does it work??

ummm....magic?

lol im not sure....basically it syncs your music files to some sort of cloud server then streams it directly to your phone. it doesnt store them there though, so if you want to use it you need to leave your computer on at home.

check their website for a better explanation.

Leaving your computer on while you're not home? That's a lot of power waste, isn't it?

Leaving your computer on while you're not home? That's a lot of power waste, isn't it?

only if you werent going to leave it on anyway.

very often i leave my computer on when i go out because i need to. its pretty common for people to leave their computers on almost all the time.

Modern computers don't actually use much power when they are idle. More than turned off obviously...but many computers use less power than a regular 60watt lightbulb. Most of the power use comes from the monitor and when the computer is actually doing stuff. This has been a lesson in computer geekery. :P

I didn't know audiogalaxy was still around. I used to download lots of mp3s there like 10 years ago. :) Sounds like a cool app. My problem with Rhapsody (or similar services) was that they don't have ANY psy, or any rare music at all.

Audiogalaxy is a great app, been out for a while.

You need a data connection (3G/Edge or Wifi). I mean an affordable one with some bandwidth :)

Then basially it makes it possible for your PC at home to be a music server for your music player (sorry, your phone)

Modern computers don't actually use much power when they are idle. More than turned off obviously...but many computers use less power than a regular 60watt lightbulb. Most of the power use comes from the monitor and when the computer is actually doing stuff.

Right, but to stream music the drives would have to be spinning and the processors processing.

Wow. You guys. You know what my phone does? Makes calls. I can text too, but after that it's a paperweight.

Posted Image

Mdk

:D

Mine is a Sony Ericsson from 2003. It doesn't even have a color screen!

Sounds like a ''cool'' application but why on earth you need to have all your music with you ? :unsure: . 16GB that a iphone usually have are not enough ?

We don't NEED phones or music at all, but that doesn't mean it's not nice to have. :)

I don't always know what I'm going to be in the mood for, plus it's a hassle (and wastes a lot of time) changing which music you have on your phone all the time.

You could just use a large mp3 player (like ipod classic) I guess, but then what was the point of getting a fancy phone? :) It would be nice if they made a phone with a normal (nonflash) hard drive but I haven't seen anything like that.

I got the app today. Very cool, especially combined with all the other ways to listen to music with Android. One I use a lot is TuneIn, which has a billion different streaming radio stations (music of pretty much every genre, local and international news, sports, etc.) and podcasts. And then there's Last.fm, of course. I can also highly recommend PowerAMP as a regular player app. Love its GUI and equalizer, and scrobbling.

Edit: Ouroboros, have you tried Subsonic as an alternative yet? I've been experimenting with it tonight. It's more advanced, for better and/or worse. Will report back if I experience any significant differences to Ag.

Cool app, but it doesn't scrobble :(

It scrobbles to Last.fm. Go to Audiogalaxy website, click settings, it's one of the first few options.

Update: Subsonic is more advanced, but a larger pain in the ass. Really depends how much control you really need. It's like Linux (super-smart) compared to Mac (intuitive). I don't know of a PC version (customizable).

What I really liked about Audiogalaxy today was that it buffered my music enough to get me through about 10-15 minutes of subway tunnel going to work (Subsonic does this too). And the Last.fm scrobbling works better than Subsonic.