My first track. Please be gentle :)

work on your mixing. i can hardly hear the kick. EQ all your channels so that everything has room in the frequency range to sit with out interfering to much with other sounds. it will make it sound cleaner.

good work but making it in reason.

work on your mixing. i can hardly hear the kick. EQ all your channels so that everything has room in the frequency range to sit with out interfering to much with other sounds. it will make it sound cleaner.

good work but making it in reason.

Mixing is definitely a big weakness. The drums aren't great either. Time to re-watch the Andi Vax mixing tutorial I guess.

Thanks for your feedback mate.

yeah, sounds quite muddy over here too.

but mixing is difficult. im not good at it either. the content is pretty good, not really my style, but thats ok.

id say its a solid start for sure.

Thanks ouroboros. It is indeed muddy and I have a hard time unmuddying it without having a channel or another becoming too loud or too dim or loosing its punch. Mixing is indeed quite difficult.

mix requires a few things.

- the first is to have a good space/room/studio to mix in. this is very important because if your space has to much reverb in it you will add to much reverb to ur mix & if there is no-reverb in ur space u wont add enough reverb (this may sound weird & around the wrong way but it is true)

- also any frequency that are reinforced in your space, you will turn down in ur mix.

- different instruments have different dynamic range. Here is a diagram showing the different ranges of different instruments. by cutting all unwanted frequencies on certain instruments you free up more room for other instruments to sit in. kinda like cleaning ur room. you can always fit more in when its clean & everything has a place to sit. (bit of a bad example)

- you should mix at 86dB SPL (tested by playing pink noise through your DAW at - 20 RMS & using a sound meter to achieve 86dB). the reason for this is because when mixing at low dB a low frequency tone will have to be turned up louder in order to be perceived at the same volume as a higher frequency tone. mixing at 86dB will cause the least amount of difference in perceived volumes of when the song is played back at different levels. More Here

- i tend to bounce all tracks out & re-open them into a new project so that all i have i audio files of each track. i do this because if u are running a lot of plugin & vst's in ur song ur computer can start to freak out with all the memory ur using. putting it all into a new project as audio files will free up a lot more memory & allow you to add more VSTs if u like. after this i usually add a high & low pass filter to all the tracks that i think needs them. this creates more frequency space for the other tracks. next i boost or cut small amounts of frequencies. then i move onto the levels of each track & get that right. bounce the track out.

- listen to the track on different sound systems taking note of how it sound. go back & fix these parts up. also leave the song for a few days so u are listening with fresh ears.

Simply, thanks.:)

This helps a lot.The diagram clarifies a few things.

Also, I'm starting to think that Reason might be great when it comes to compose something quickly but when it comes to mixing to achieve a professional mix it might be a bit light.

I might export a wav file for each track and re-import it in Cubase or Live. I even think about exporting only the midi files and using better synths and rebuild the track completely in Cubase.

I will let a few days pass to do it with fresh ears also because the more I fiddle with it, the more I break it. ^^

Also, I hereby promise never to eat any frosties anymore! :D