The IFO of other genres

Penzoline

I think Orbital's The Brown album could be called The IFO of the early 90's Techno, but there are many albums from that era that could be easily called classics.

People talk about FSOL - Lifeforms, Apex Twin - Selected Ambient Works, the first Woob, the first Fires Of Ork, Dreamfish, Silence, Air I, Air II, and some of early work from The Orb as definitive pieces of Ambient.

Brian Eno's - Music for Airports is also in discussions if you're talking about "pure" Ambient......Ambient is such a vast genre, it's impossible to select just one album I think :)

This one however is credited and mentioned as one that basically started the genre.

Others would probably debate over which Autechre album is the IFO of IDM/Experimental.

Converter - Shock Front may be a candidate for the IFO of Rhytmic Noise.

The first edition's package came out printed on a heavy sheet of metal instead of paper http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=17769

Hardcore/Gabber, at least to me, in those early genre defining days was centred more around compilations than artist albums so my vote goes to all 10 Terrordrome

compilations and those early Thunderdome and the ones that kind of set the tone for generations to come.

The only genres I know enough about are goa/psy and DnB. So of all the DnB I've heard the IFO would definitely be Evol Intent - Era of Diversion hands down. I know many people would prolly go for something LTJ Bukem but for me the Evol Intent album is really what DnB is all about.

This is an interesting thread, because I can't think of any "IFO"'s of other genres. It could be that I just don't know enough about some of them, but all the other genres I have come across out there so far never had a single piece that was so much in focus as IFO is in goatrance. Sure, you have some of the usual group of bands and such to define a genre, but there never is a single piece that a whole genre can attach to. And even though some people dislike IFO, it still is the focus point in the goatrance scene.

I'll keep an eye out for that from now on, I find it very interesting...

While I don't hold IFO as quite the best album ever I know what you mean. For me, the following releases are the best i have heard in the respective genres.

New Age

Enigma - Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!

90s "Rave Comedown" Ambient

Global Comunication - 76 14

Natural Ambient

Ishq - Orchid

Ethnic

Jairamji - Kindred Spirits

Dark Ambient

Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker

Melodic IDM

Secede - Tryshasla

World

Shulman - Endless Rhythms of the Beatless Heart

Chillout

Solar Fields - Leaving Home

Dub Techno

Steve Hillage + Evan Marc - Dreamtime Submersible

Space Ambient

Tetsu Inoue - Ambiant Otaku

Drone Ambient

The Winterhouse - Sanctuary

It's all very subjective I know, you can find my views on these albums here

The only genres I know enough about are goa/psy and DnB. So of all the DnB I've heard the IFO would definitely be Evol Intent - Era of Diversion hands down. I know many people would prolly go for something LTJ Bukem but for me the Evol Intent album is really what DnB is all about.

There's quite much variation in that album.

There's quite much variation in that album.

Yup! They take DnB and do all sorts of things with it, incorporate techno/breakcore/IDM, but that's what makes the album stand out. A lot of DnB, even the good stuff, is the same broken beats and broken bass, not so much variation. The tracks are uniformly good, and there are some real gems in there... The Curtain Falls, South London, The Awkward Rhythm of Dance, Maybe We'll Dance Tomorrow, the title track with the acid synths... Plus the album actually has a theme, which I don't think is something common in DnB. I love the Foreward with that crazy sample.