Astral Projection vs MFG

Ormion

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which group is better?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MFG is just perfection. Rattling sounds(The best), unprecedented power, amazing atmospheres. I even own the trilogy whereas I still only own the best Astral album which is TIT3. I think Astral is tad too forceful and melancholic at times, even though the melodies and atmospheres are fantastic, but MFG feels more deeper, detailed and storytelling. Astral Projection is amazing but I'm definitely going to say MFG.

I didn't even like MFG before, but after listening to Project Genesis and understanding it(very much like what happened with IFO), everything changed. I even started finding the first two albums great and inevitably amazing. The atmosphere on Project Genesis is one of the, or if not THE, strongest sci-fi atmospheres found in goatrance. It rivals Crop Circles. Just listen to On Mars. Fucking epic sci-fi experience. My favourite MFG track.

Or one of the most amazing climax from a break in a track of all time(6:18), it gets me everytime, can't help myself but to move. This is what inspiration is made of. Sheer power.

Or how about that rattling goodness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRzUOB4i8Q

And don't forget the insanely amazing closing tracks on the first 3 albums. Slower MFG style so rich in style.

Ps I'm ignoring MFG - The Message and onwards and Astral Projection - Another World and onwards.

Which golden era of Astral Projection are you talking about? There were stunning more than a decade ago and they are stunning today (Dunes Of Gold, do I need to say more).

lol

I haven't heard much AP but what I have heard hasn't really grabbed me. But I love MFG so I voted for them. As luck would have it I'll be getting a factory sealed copy of New Kind of World for Christmas :)

Like'em both equally. They both have their distinguished style of producing. I still love AP, still enjoying their live shows. Can't wait for the new album.

Hows about both?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wgJwzx0KQ

I'm not going to vote because I haven't really heard much MFG. I've got "Shape the Future" on Goa Vibes Vol. 2, which is decent, but other than that I've only heard a song here or there. And since the albums aren't available anymore, I haven't bothered to listen to lots of samples.

And since the albums aren't available anymore, I haven't bothered to listen to lots of samples.

You have the internet where you can find the whole albums quite easily.. what more do you need? You're missing out on the classics..

I won't vote because it's like comparing blue and green hues.

AP is fantastic, if they weren't they wouldn't a cult band to these days. MFG too is wonderful. Only that both have had their ups and downs. Just like any other artist.

AP made a big mistake with Amen. MFG with their last album.

But both, wow, still make me travel billions of miles away with their tracks.

IMO it's unfair to compare them.

And, Penzoline, beware of your opinions, you may regret laughing at "Dunes".

I have been in this scene since 1995 and I am not ashamed of saying that an album is S**T when I hear one, you saw me on the Protoculture's topic.

So, I may say that "Dunes" is a great track. I think that AP is now levering the rest of the already written tracks to its level.

IMO, AP next album will surprise all of us. As for MFG, I do hope they do release something which is refreshing and MFGish at the same time.

You have the internet where you can find the whole albums quite easily.. what more do you need? You're missing out on the classics..

I suppose that's true. I don't really download music ever, so I guess it never occurred to me.

I suppose that's true. I don't really download music ever, so I guess it never occurred to me.

If you're interested, you can order a hardcover of New kind of world cheap here

I won't vote because it's like comparing blue and green hues.

AP is fantastic, if they weren't they wouldn't a cult band to these days. MFG too is wonderful. Only that both have had their ups and downs. Just like any other artist.

AP made a big mistake with Amen. MFG with their last album.

But both, wow, still make me travel billions of miles away with their tracks.

IMO it's unfair to compare them.

And, Penzoline, beware of your opinions, you may regret laughing at "Dunes".

I have been in this scene since 1995 and I am not ashamed of saying that an album is S**T when I hear one, you saw me on the Protoculture's topic.

So, I may say that "Dunes" is a great track. I think that AP is now levering the rest of the already written tracks to its level.

IMO, AP next album will surprise all of us. As for MFG, I do hope they do release something which is refreshing and MFGish at the same time.

What are you talking about laughing to dunes? I was laughing at d2k2. It's not a bad track but Astral's prime is no more. They make nice music but it's nothing like it used to be.

Well, I guess you mean you were laughing at d2k2, but it doesn't matter.

Your comment about AP sounding melacholic sometimes

reminded me of another topic I saw somewhere here (or was it in Isratrance?), about the "shalowness"

of Neogoa, because it sounds too fluffly, too sweet.

AP did sound dark sometimes, and that's exactly what made them so good.

Neogoa has something to learn from these wizards from the past, be it AP, be it MFG.

Well, I guess you mean you were laughing at d2k2, but it doesn't matter.

Your comment about AP sounding melacholic sometimes

reminded me of another topic I saw somewhere here (or was it in Isratrance?), about the "shalowness"

of Neogoa, because it sounds too fluffly, too sweet.

AP did sound dark sometimes, and that's exactly what made them so good.

Neogoa has something to learn from these wizards from the past, be it AP, be it MFG.

Indeed, I was. You guys need avatars so I can tell whos post is whos as it often seems its the one and same guy when hastily thinking..

And it is very true. Neogoa needs more darkness and detail/depth instead of just massive good melodies and float the song from the beginning to the end. Old school had such richer texturing and depth.

It's like the two were seperated. Neogoa has the good melodies and basslines(!!!) whereas psytrance has the random effects and texturing and a hard kick. Both sound rather shallow when seperated. Especially psytrance. It's now just random computer generated sounds everywhere imo.. And let's not start with the mainstream casual crap cheesy melodies that have no substance what-so-ever.. Full-on..

Indeed, I was. You guys need avatars so I can tell whos post is whos as it often seems its the one and same guy when hastily thinking..

And it is very true. Neogoa needs more darkness and detail/depth instead of just massive good melodies and float the song from the beginning to the end. Old school had such richer texturing and depth.

It's like the two were seperated. Neogoa has the good melodies and basslines(!!!) whereas psytrance has the random effects and texturing and a hard kick. Both sound rather shallow when seperated. Especially psytrance. It's now just random computer generated sounds everywhere imo.. And let's not start with the mainstream casual crap cheesy melodies that have no substance what-so-ever.. Full-on..

I agree that newschool have some very nice basslines.

But IMO MFG have the best basslines in history. Especially Project Genesis has so amazing liquid, chorus bass! And their synths too are unbelievable.

For me MFG had better sounds. AP had more memorable/classic melodies.

Guest nectarios

I agree that newschool have some very nice basslines.

But IMO MFG have the best basslines in history. Especially Project Genesis has so amazing liquid, chorus bass! And their synths too are unbelievable.

For me MFG had better sounds. AP had more memorable/classic melodies.

There is only one AP tune I kinda like, Analogue Voyager.

MFG made the kinda trance I massively disliked. It was THE silliest over the top, cheesy melodies. They single-handedly started Nitzhonot, which was THE worst subgenre I heard since 1994. And before you old school Goa craving ladies jump out of your nickers, let me add, imho. ;)

Their basslines had no drive what so ever, but an awful lot of bands back then, had no drive in their basslines... it was like part of the "style" of some sort.

Peace out.

There is only one AP tune I kinda like, Analogue Voyager.

MFG made the kinda trance I massively disliked. It was THE silliest over the top, cheesy melodies. They single-handedly started Nitzhonot, which was THE worst subgenre I heard since 1994. And before you old school Goa craving ladies jump out of your nickers, let me add, imho. ;)

Their basslines had no drive what so ever, but an awful lot of bands back then, had no drive in their basslines... it was like part of the "style" of some sort.

Peace out.

Posted Image