Top stoner movie of all time?

Lemmiwinks

So I was considering getting a stoner movie dvd for a pal of mine who likes smoking. The question is which one? I was thinking of Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke but since he's a teen I'm afraid he might find it a bit dated... What do you guys recomend?

I don't know about the best of all time, but for a TEEN maybe:

Dazed and Confused

Almost Famous

Neither of them being pure stoner flicks but both having feel-good, retro vibes(70's), decent story-lines and OK soundtracks with some drug use involved. Most "pure" stoner films I've found to be empty, meaningless and not that funny, even in my stoner days, but maybe that's just because of my taste etc.

Are you after films that are specifically about stoners, or just films by/for stoners? If the former then The Big Lebowski might qualify (and is great). If the latter then I'm pretty sure that Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theatres for DVD was designed for people who are off their tits.

For me to personally choose a favourite, I'd maybe go with:

Easy Rider

Otherwise if you're just looking for films that are good to watch while stoned, as opposed to watching a film with stoners/smokers in it then the list could be pretty damn long depending on your Psycho-type.

Many of the suggestions in the Real Psychedelic Movies Thread on Psynews would be a good resource.

Films about stoners are not nearly as good as films for stoners.

My #1:

La Planete Sauvage

Also:

Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Baraka (social art-documentaries)

Paprika, Spirited Away, Ponyo (fun, light, surreal Japanime)

El Topo, The Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky)

Tekkon Kinkreet, Vexille, The Sky Crawlers, Renaissance (more hi-tech, international anime)

Solaris, Stalker, Nostalghia (anything by Tarkovsky)

The Life of Birds (or any BBC nature documentary with David Attenborough)

Don't know if it has the the "top stoner movie of all time" tag on it, but does it really matter for a 16 year old? Anyways, my recommendation: Pineapple Express.

I don't know if that is considered a stoner's flick, but the whole movie revolves around weed and those who consume it, and best of all is that it's completely relieved of all the pseudo philosophical, third eye opeening feaces which usually wrecks the genre...

Give it a try, I though it was really really entertaining!

ok thanks guys, but I was thinking about movies ABOUT stoners, keep in mind that this is for a 16 year-old, I don't think that's an age where you'd want to get too philosophical about things ;)

I really do strongly suggest Waking Life. I was a wee stoner at the age of 16 and I'm pretty sure that's about when I saw it for the first time... really made me think differently about things. Up In Smoke is great too, but I think it'd have less life value for your friend. Here is the trailer... It points out that it is also from the same director as Dazed and Confused :) .

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2DeTet98o

Cheers.

thanks for the recomendations guys! I went to some stores around here and realized that getting the "top stoner movie of all time" was much more of a challenge than I thought. I went through discussions like:

- Hello, do you have Pineapple Express?

- Umm let me check, well, no.

- OK, Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke then?

- Cheech and whaa?

- Oh forget it, how about Half Balked?

- Are you sure this was released in Europe, sir?

and so on... so I ended up getting him the only drug-related movie I could think of that they had in stock: Requiem For A Dream, which is nice but not quite a stoner movie, although I guess his mom will aprreciate me more with this one ;)

BTW I was thinking, talking about movies FOR stoners, what about Lost Highway? That one has always ranked pretty high on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

The Alice in Wonderland cartoon is awesome.... it's on youtube and I just want to add some gifs so you can decide...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

HAHAHA that was awesome :) Yep, I remember seeing Alice once I was interested in drugs and it seemed that the overall message was VEEERY different from the one I got when I was a kid. I mean the whole "I'm too big/ I'm too small" theme is like tripping 101. Too bad the remake sucked :(

• 1 year later...

2001 A Space Odyssey , extremely hard to watch but beautiful at the same time accept it or not.

And I say this without chemicals , pure adventure , can you take it all by yourself?

• 1 year later...

and so on... so I ended up getting him the only drug-related movie I could think of that they had in stock: Requiem For A Dream, which is nice but not quite a stoner movie, although I guess his mom will aprreciate me more with this one wink.gif

This comment is a few years late, but...good lord, what a horrible movie to watch while stoned! It's a great movie, no doubt, one I rave about and hope to never watch again because no other outside force has ever made me as depressed as that movie did.