GOA - 20 Years of Psychedelic Trance

b2act

by Tom Rom and Pascal Querner

This unique book about the Goatrance movement is an anthology of the international Goa and Psytrance generation. It is the first book that describes the scene as a whole. The articles are written by 41 insiders of the international Psytrance scene from five continents. The pictures originate from some of the best photographers globally. The book highlights the evolution of the scene in the last 20 years and looks ahead to the future. The book comes along with a DVD and a poster, together as deluxe version, and both book and DVD will also be available separately. Both products are contemporary documents of a generation and photographic and filmic masterpieces.

Posted Image

Publisher: http://www.nachtschatten.ch/goabook

Amazon: http://www.amazon.de/GOA-20-Jahre-Psychedelic-Trance/dp/3037881887

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/GOA-20-Years-of-Psychedelic-Trance/148599830210

Great. Can somebody tell me which track is being played in the video. Thanx.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks really interesting!

I have the track, but I can't remember the name AARGH!

C'mon dude, think...think...think harder!!! Cause I can't hear ya! :P

Ocelot - Deeper In Trance

Thanx :)

• 2 months later...

What I have heard it's a typical stereotype story written by a few selected "stars" mentioning other stars leaving out a whole bunch of contributing artists, organizers, deco artists etc. Basically the usual story putting a few stars on a pedestal.

What I have heard it's a typical stereotype story written by a few selected "stars" mentioning other stars leaving out a whole bunch of contributing artists, organizers, deco artists etc. Basically the usual story putting a few stars on a pedestal.

Oh, so you havn't actually SEEN it yourself then?

Any German speaking read this yet? Thoughts?

Four things to say :

1.) the pictures in the book are very nice! Some really good snapshots from the people and the atmosphere... i like them!

2.) the stories .... arghhhhh ... most of them are not readable. In the sytle of "I'm writing a boring school essay, what I have done last weekend..." You can't give the book to anyone, who doesn't know the scene...

3.) next the video.... hey guys, WHAT IS THIS.... THIS IS UNWATCHABLE... After 10 minutes I got headack due to to these fucking color changes and superfast cuts... This Video is total bullshit; its really the worst goa movie i've ever seen!!!!!!

4.) the music... the first track is "ok", what means, its not bad, but even not great! The other tracks are boring or really goa-popshit! Nothing great!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, so you havn't actually SEEN it yourself then?

I have read some of it yes, enough to not bother reading the rest, and the whole point is that the Goa scene was not just made up by a small exclusive circle of Stars but build by a big group of contributing artists, organizers, deco teams etc. Yet when the story is written (by the small circle of stars) they always "forget" to give the many contributors the credit and as usual appoint themselves as they creators of the Goa scene mentioning each other as usual. As I said very predictable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read some of it yes, enough to not bother reading the rest, and the whole point is that the Goa scene was not just made up by a small exclusive circle of Stars but build by a big group of contributing artists, organizers, deco teams etc. Yet when the story is written (by the small circle of stars) they always "forget" to give the many contributors the credit and as usual appoint themselves as they creators of the Goa scene mentioning each other as usual. As I said very predictable.

If the title gives any clue to its content, it sounds really lame. Who the hell wants to read about a bunch of hippies in Goa, India? Shit, I would rather watch the Grateful Dead Movie. That is real psychedelic history.

by Tom Rom and Pascal Querner

Shouldn't this be titled, "Goa -20 Years of Goa Trance?" :blush:

• 1 year later...

I bought the English version of the book (and DVD) and must admit, I liked it a lot.

I think the fact that many of the chapters are by different authors is good, in as much as it gives several different viewpoints on the complex and contradictory Goa / psytrance scene. It's not an in depth study, but then it's not just a lightweight "isn't trance great" advert either. Some of the authors' standpoints I side with, other's less so.

Overall I think it gives a reasonable overview of the scene and is a worthwhile celebration of the music, visual arts, people and major psytrance festivals. It makes no claims to be comprehensive.

I'd say it's well worth getting for the photos alone. They are really stunning. :)

The DVD is good too IMHO. Mainly a montage of festival and outdoor parties set to music, but with a few snippets of interviews dropped in at opportune moments. Only part I didn't like was the Spacetribe "Deep Purple Haze" track towards the end, but that's just personal taste - it's not a style of psytrance that I enjoy.

The package is quite expensive, enough to put a lot of people off maybe, but considering it's going to appeal to a pretty limited market, I don't reckon it's too bad. Certainly Waterstones have similar size and quality books at the same kind of money.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Oh, I remember that book ... I have been at the "presentation" of that piece. Tom Rom and Pascal Querner are from Austria, so it's logical that the popularity of that thing is considerable in the local scene...

Well, that presentation was more or less just a visual session from El Geko where he showed off video bits from festivals (which is, frankly, totally uninteresting for me -- I like El Geko, but for the style he normally has in his visuals, which is generally not only festival bits from locations I haven't been :P ) ... since he is the creator of the DVD for this book, the content on the DVD is similar to that anyway, save the interviews...

The DVD, besides, seems to be ripped onto youtube anyway, anybody can watch it from there. The best part of it for me being the "Klein aber Doctor" outro ;)

After I saw that, I never was too fond of the book though, there was no interest created in me. I therefore can not give feedback in the form of a review ... I do appreciate Kris' critical comments though, they are kinda in the direction of what lingered in my mind also.

The video (and actually the reception that reached me from the whole project so far and wide) has a general impression on me like if there was a slight "let's just show some people partying and it will be okay" mentality. And that's not what I'm after. I do enjoy it, but I don't need a book and DVD for that...

• 3 weeks later...

It's a nice book IMO, and well done for a scene that not very cohesive globally. I enjoy the art in it, the articles are ok but nothing mind blowing. It'll sit nicely in my book collection, and many will no doubt look or ask questions. I'd definitely like my son to read it when he grows, as I want him to have an interest in areas outside of everyday society.

• Like 1