Gappeq

Trolsk

I used to think that Gappeq was the most exciting new artist. Whenever he released a new track I would track it down, and I was always disappointed that such a great track was released on compilations with (at best) generic tracks. His debut album was the biggest disappointment in recent years, and his new album, Made of Clay, is another disappointment.

His sound used to be psychedelic and full of great melodies, twists and turns, but then he went dark and removed the melodies, or at best, minimized their presence. Don't get me wrong, this is not about the melodies, but about what used to be an artist with a sound. If someone were to play some of his earlier tracks such as Birth of the Dragon, One Soul or Theory of Everything you would easily recognize any of them again. If someone were to play you any of his new dark tracks chances are you would not recognize them again.

I love artists that dare to explore their creativity and evolve their sound, but in this case his new dark sound is not even close to be as great as his old sound.

I don't know what I'm getting at, I guess I'm just sad that what used to be a great act is now lost in a harsh and completely dead soundscape.

RIP

I always found Gappeq's compilation tracks better than both of his albums (which I like).

It's true he's pure darkpsy now, when back then he was mostly twilight style. But he stil makes good music imo.

well, I don't find the newer Gappeq stuff bad.

Gappeq is dark for me. It's the alias of dark. If I went to see Gappeq, I'd want dark ... and I want it exactly this way ... just like the album stuff. With the harsh sound and the "dead landscape".

The beginnings were different and the tracks you mentioned are good, but I don't have a problem with the newer sound.

Yes he used to be ... much more psychedelic ... I think the melodic stuff he did was not as dark as the work he does now - and were defiantly MORE psychedelic than what he is doing now.

In fact I've only heard one of his earlier tracks. I thought it so amazing I never forgot it. But then he released his albums, and they were all dark. I do enjoy them - but they are not up to the level of what he was doing before. Don't get me wrong - Made of Clay is a great album - so is Speaker seeker, but not the psychedelic potency of what was before.

I always found Gappeq's compilation tracks better than both of his albums (which I like).

It's true he's pure darkpsy now, when back then he was mostly twilight style. But he stil makes good music imo.

I'll check out his compilation tracks.

I'm looking for organic, living, breathing music, be it dark, twisted or melodic, but Gappeq's style strikes me as the exact opposite.

I'll check out his compilation tracks.

I'm looking for organic, living, breathing music, be it dark, twisted or melodic, but Gappeq's style strikes me as the exact opposite.

Check out the Kiriyama album Reach Escape Velocity if you want living, breathing music. It has been reviewed twice here.

Mdk

• 3 weeks later...