Artist: Perfect Blind

Title: Surfacing Ep

Label: Akashic Records

Date: November, 2010

01 - Calm Below (80 BPM)

02 - Nimbus Two (90 BPM)

03 - Syncope (95 BPM)

04 - Surfacing (100 BPM)

This is the downtempo project of Deimmos aka Igor Čeranić from Croatia fresh off the great track he released on the free compilation from Neogoa.tk Dimensional Gateway. So far he likes giving his music away for free, (you can find this release at Ektoplazm) but if this keeps up, we are soon going to have to pay for it. Read below to see why.

Calm Below- This is a short intro ambient track that is too long to be considered an interlude. Soft floating pads conjure up images of the deep with alien zips racing past the ears. It is soothing and gives you a glimpse of what is to come.

Nimbus Two- More pads and and delicate synths glide effortlessly through a persistent beat. This is a laid back cloud watching moment. Beautiful, arcing melodies slowly introduce themselves as I lay on the ground staring skyward. The track fades away peacefully.

Syncope- At almost 9 minutes this is the longest track on the EP. We are greeted with the same bubbling style leads and wide open spaces. There is a dubby feel here as synths waffle and new leads are introduced. It sounds like a 303 being filtered and soaring high in the clouds when a new lead takes over. Very nice with a gentle exit.

Surfacing- This dub piece contains all the elements of the previous tracks with soaring melodies carrying maybe a tinge of melancholy. Sweet imagination music, the break is so smooth, with echoing percussion and volume fade. One melody goes, another enters slowly reorganizing things but with the same feel. Great track.

What a super little Ep. This is smooth downtempo which lends itself nicely to dreaming or just getting away from it all. It is really vast sounding, with slow BPM's. The tracks start slow and gradually build with hypnotic melodies, one flowing into another. Igor definitely has the downtempo gift and I look forward to more of his stuff, realizing full well that I will have to eventually shell out a few scheckles for it.

Ektoplazm

Mdk

My point was that his music was so good that he could charge for it.

Sure, I just try to break down that association since it implies that free music is just music that you couldn't charge people money for. Plenty of artists release great music for free because they see the value in it.