why does an underground scene always turn to commerical crap after a while?

Lemmiwinks

one thing you can guarantee and that is nothing ever stays the same...Of course it wont stay underground, if that happened then there would be no new input and the genre would just die.... I quite like most music out there ...i dont know, maybe its malleability is what i like...i found myself listening singing and dancing to Scream&Example, something i would never ever have thought would happen.....this music is meant for teens....music has always been meant for the teens..nothing as embarrassing as finding out your mum likes your music eh?

I have had the same argument about Acid Techno....to me its about UK Acid Techno... recently i have had loads of european style acid techno to sift thru and its just NOT what i am looking for, its just wrong! but why is it wrong? just because its not from the London SUF crowd so it sounds different, but i cant get my head round it....we all like what we like..

to keep it underground and selective means it will die out with that group of people who WILL move on to different styles once they get bored...

btw.. i quite like that track you posted....(O the shame....)

one thing you can guarantee and that is nothing ever stays the same...Of course it wont stay underground, if that happened then there would be no new input and the genre would just die.... I quite like most music out there ...i dont know, maybe its malleability is what i like...i found myself listening singing and dancing to Scream&Example, something i would never ever have thought would happen.....this music is meant for teens....music has always been meant for the teens..nothing as embarrassing as finding out your mum likes your music eh?

I have had the same argument about Acid Techno....to me its about UK Acid Techno... recently i have had loads of european style acid techno to sift thru and its just NOT what i am looking for, its just wrong! but why is it wrong? just because its not from the London SUF crowd so it sounds different, but i cant get my head round it....we all like what we like..

to keep it underground and selective means it will die out with that group of people who WILL move on to different styles once they get bored...

btw.. i quite like that track you posted....(O the shame....)

And what exactly IS the difference between UK and non-UK acid? Can you give me some examples?

Personally I like Fabulous 23s, Osmo and Ben 9mm for acid and I don't think any of them are UK-based, so they all must suck **** in your eyes XD.

And what exactly IS the difference between UK and non-UK acid? Can you give me some examples?

Personally I like Fabulous 23s, Osmo and Ben 9mm for acid and I don't think any of them are UK-based, so they all must suck **** in your eyes XD.

Fabulous23s , he is from Bradford, just 20 minutes away from me...and yeah, i know him and yeah i do like his stuff...

Examples of UK Acid Techno..o where do i begin, it started out with the Wonderful Rowland the Bastard, who came to play in leeds and who rocked my sox.... I then met Chris Liberator in London and started gping to the Nuclear Free Zone @414 Club where i then met Giselle and Julian Liberator or was it Aaron?

Anyways, I then got the Album .It's not From Detroit, Its F....n' Avin it! and listening to the world famous track One Night In Hackney, that was it....i was a true london City Acid Techno head!

I'm not keen on Techno, have been to some nights in London feat jeff Mills josh Wink and Sven Vath... not struck, too many drum rolls and not enough content for me... Acid...well, where does acid fit in? i dont get it... but Acid Techno...o boy...it blows my mind sends me thru the roof and down into the bowels of the earth all at the same time....

http-~~-//youtu.be/tvgK-_Uv9UQ

Can't say I like ALL Acid Techno, but there are a couple tunes from the Stay Up Forever label that I consider to be unbeatable in terms of heaviness and aggression for Acid and that seriously blow me away in a way nothing else can but drag me to a random 2011 D.A.V.E. The Drummer event and I'll probably just walk away out of boredom.

Just like Psytrance, Acid Techno has it's good stuff AND bad stuff, it's all about personal taste in the end.

It's funny how perceptions differ...

Don't know though, but Boards Of Canada and Autechre are acts I do not really fancy.

True, our perceptions differ quite enough :). By the way I wouldn't call Sending Orbs IDM or even IDM'ish . I also disagree about lack of innovation since 1994, e.g check Beefcake or Gridlock for example, especially the first.

Or check Igorrr, crazy french guy that produces idm/breakcore/classical(baroque)/death metal

Can't say I like ALL Acid Techno, but there are a couple tunes from the Stay Up Forever label that I consider to be unbeatable in terms of heaviness and aggression for Acid and that seriously blow me away in a way nothing else can but drag me to a random 2011 D.A.V.E. The Drummer event and I'll probably just walk away out of boredom.

Just like Psytrance, Acid Techno has it's good stuff AND bad stuff, it's all about personal taste in the end.

right...at the last gig we were broadcasting from, Dave was the headline act....i dont know what game he was playing but he was not up for it, and his music was bordering on the minimal side which bores me to tears....I dont even think he smiled once...i thought he must be having a bad day..but..maybe hes just losing his mojo a bit.

I am a Chris Liberator fan..big style!

I have found psy rather boring of late and find myself in backrooms more than in the main room nowadays unless we're broadcasting the event in which case i have to just put up with it.

You are right when you say there good and bad in all genres.... i'd like to see an oldschool night with goa and acid techno and a decent chill zone with comfy seats. and not a commercial beat in sight...maybe music has gone forward too far now for the new generation to appreciate it tho?

right...at the last gig we were broadcasting from, Dave was the headline act....i dont know what game he was playing but he was not up for it, and his music was bordering on the minimal side which bores me to tears....I dont even think he smiled once...i thought he must be having a bad day..but..maybe hes just losing his mojo a bit.

I am a Chris Liberator fan..big style!

I have found psy rather boring of late and find myself in backrooms more than in the main room nowadays unless we're broadcasting the event in which case i have to just put up with it.

You are right when you say there good and bad in all genres.... i'd like to see an oldschool night with goa and acid techno and a decent chill zone with comfy seats. and not a commercial beat in sight...maybe music has gone forward too far now for the new generation to appreciate it tho?

Personally I like my music to be sonically full and warm. OK I'm going to sound like a gigantic retard right now because I can't really explain this in words but when you are a producer for example, you notice that obvious signals are considered phat by the human ear, with obvious I mean, being large in the frequency spectrum, heavy signals and heavy signals contain lots of warmth and colour (especially when you add distortion and overdrive to it). When you make minimal for example, the art of minimal is "less is more", which means, creating a whole gap in the frequency spectrum and consider it being art. It works for most people, but it doesn't work for me at all.

Gah this was hard to explain in english, hope you get the point I was making. Sadly it's all about taste when it comes to music, that must be the only reason why many people say that hardstyle is way more interesting than goa or acid.

I also think it has a lot to do with the darkness of the sounds, distortion adds darkness. Metal is dark, because it's massively distorted, same for acid ect... again this is hard to explain in words, let's say nearly impossible, so excuse the vagueness that hits you when reading this post.

Personally I like my music to be sonically full and warm. OK I'm going to sound like a gigantic retard right now because I can't really explain this in words but when you are a producer for example, you notice that obvious signals are considered phat by the human ear, with obvious I mean, being large in the frequency spectrum, heavy signals and heavy signals contain lots of warmth and colour (especially when you add distortion and overdrive to it). When you make minimal for example, the art of minimal is "less is more", which means, creating a whole gap in the frequency spectrum and consider it being art. It works for most people, but it doesn't work for me at all.

Gah this was hard to explain in english, hope you get the point I was making. Sadly it's all about taste when it comes to music, that must be the only reason why many people say that hardstyle is way more interesting than goa or acid.

I also think it has a lot to do with the darkness of the sounds, distortion adds darkness. Metal is dark, because it's massively distorted, same for acid ect... again this is hard to explain in words, let's say nearly impossible, so excuse the vagueness that hits you when reading this post.

We all hear music differently i reckon......I find it very difficult to explain what it is or isnt about music i like or dislike...i just know that some really gets me and some leaves me cold as custard.... I like music that rolls like waves..so there is a constant ebb and flow...so D&B is out.....do not get it whatsoever...its alien and not music at all(to me) just odd rhythms and distorted beats... yet i quite like dubstep(which is odd rhythms and distorted beats?) go figure...!! my true music love will always be metal! (not really what i should be saying as i host a psytrance radio station! lol)

We all hear music differently i reckon......I find it very difficult to explain what it is or isnt about music i like or dislike...i just know that some really gets me and some leaves me cold as custard.... I like music that rolls like waves..so there is a constant ebb and flow...so D&B is out.....do not get it whatsoever...its alien and not music at all(to me) just odd rhythms and distorted beats... yet i quite like dubstep(which is odd rhythms and distorted beats?) go figure...!! my true music love will always be metal! (not really what i should be saying as i host a psytrance radio station! lol)

Well I can say I like every damn style of music in the world, but just a little percentage of it all. Basically the <1000 listeners stuff, the difference between dubstep and drum & bass is actually very minimal, just the beats and the tempo, but the sounds and production remain the same in most cases, it's all electronic dance music in the end (which is fine to me).

All I'm gonna contribute to this thread is:

Stay Up Forever, Smitten, WahWah, C.O.S.H.H.(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Routemaster...

Those guys are awesome, and I would be really disappointed if Mr. Cullen really jumped on that bandwagon, 'cause the three times I've heard him in Zagreb, he was YIKES!

Fave's are, in no order:

Dynamo City's Shape Shift, DDR & The Geezer's Mad Cows On Acid, Chris Liberator's Cat's Eye(!!!!!!!!!), The entire One Night In Hackney release, Geezer's The Long And Short Of It, Chris Liberator's & DDR's 303 Power, Shaft Punk's Squat Rock, Magnum Force Unlucky Punk, Ant's That Shit (Cyber Steve + Acid Ted's This Shitty Mix).

There are a load of others, but the ones I've listed - you could feed 'em to me any time and I'd go ape shit.

Not only that, but Dave's Hydraulix is a vintage techno label, packed with insane prime time cuts! The guy knows no limits (or so I hope)

My link

to Dave the Drummers set we broadcasted and videoed live from the event... I have heard him play better....

oh and my fave track is Funky Old Cortina i would post if i could suss out youtube and here..i'm being a numpty just now...14 hours work day kills....

i was thinking about this the other day. I feel like a lot of growing music cultures are huge parts of counter culture. HipHop was once very counter culture. You wouldn't see your mum bumping NWA in her car. Eventually to wash out the counter culture, the mainstream (hollywood?) hypes up its mainstream versions, and this causes it to go downhill. Selling out the idea of hiphop was what created this horrible pop culture/hiphop scene i see in the states (im from California). Making everything family friendly so they could make more $$$. & i see the same things happening to EDM. Some burnt out names that come to mind for me would be like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, LMFAO, Justin Beiber, David Guetta, Kanye West, and pretty much anyone else you see in this 'spotlight'. I think they make cool music, but i dont think thats the only reason they stay in the eye of the media. Iv heard so many artists that I honestly believe have more talent but they dont get nearly the recognition some of these other artists do. I feel mainstream TV spotlight is an illusion, while artists might think they can get big like that, I think its only a show created to present to the public this celebrity image.

Last week I watched a Lady Gaga video (1st one), I was thinking that I might remix one of her songs for exposure.

The song didn't have any lyrics to speech of, so even though the sounds were well done the song was boring and flat.

I can't even remember the name of the song now.

All I can do is look with confused and questioning eyes at the stuff the industry puts out.

Why do people like this stuff? I just don't get it.

As far as I can guess, not many do like it, Ninja. For some, it's about the money or the fame or whatever gets them a high. For others, it could possibly be about the message they want to indoctrinate into the next generation. You could go into so many conspiracy theories with that kind of thing but I won't. I don't know what the think in those terms. I just keep a weary eye out.

It's a weird thing, if I really think about it. The industry. It really depends on what kind of mindsets are in it.

Thing is, the industry produces "hitsingles" and "bestseller albums" before the public even hears them. With that I mean, that a certain record is defined to be a hitsingle / bestseller album even if it was total crap and nobody has heard it before. You can see it in the advertisement: "the new hitsingle from Lady Gaga will be out on xyz" (for example) ... this is a contradiction in itself: a NEW record that is not released yet can't be a hitsingle - it has not even sold a single copy yet.

But the industry has the power to get a huge machine going that automatically makes the record to a hit. It will be played on every radioshow, radio and TV stations get paid to talk about the song ... and sooner or later you'll have the public talking about it and once you're there, the way is paved and people will buy it - in masses.

Most people nowadays don't have the time to dig for music and stuff ... they work, have kids, have stress or are just plain lazy ... they don't want to entertain themselves, they want to be entertained. And this opens the doors for such commercial "machineries". That's why it works, that's why even bad songs make it up the charts and generate money, money, money. The money is the main motivation, not the art ... that's why much of it is so dull, because it's been produced in a hurry...

And now it crosses the bridge to the original question of the thread: as these "machineries" do search for new things to keep their status and to hit the nerve of time, maybe also attract new people to get even more money, they eventually come across underground genres - and tear them apart their way, like locusts.

Okay, maybe it's not totally like this. But I'm sure there is more than just a grain of truth in that.