2 Protoculture - Naked 8:16

3 Protoculture - Love Technology 8:28

4 Protoculture - Big Blue 8:42

5 Protoculture - Euphoric Recall 7:49

6 Protoculture - Impala 8:08

7 Protoculture - Stars Of Sanbona 8:02

8 Binary Finary - 1998 (Protoculture Remix) 9:48

9 Protoculture - Midnight Mass 7:55

The third and long awaited new album from Nate Raubenheimer aka Protoculture is a refreshing step into trance and progressive atmospheres, loaded with euphoric "big" melodies and wide open soundscapes. He's always been pretty melodic in his compositions and with this album he's getting into it even more. There's a lot more trance and 'regular' stuff going on in this album, compared to his more fullon psytrance style in his past albums. Still some rolling basslines here and there but the real psy-feeling of quirky blopping sounds used before has been replaced by a more smooth & slick array of female voices/effects and trance sweeps, not that I don't like it but it sounds a bit forced sometimes. The big attraction for me in this album and for Protoculture in general is as said the wide open feelings/pads and the huge euphoric melodies you just can't get out of your head after listening them a few times. The vocal stabs around the tracks add up nicely to the more emphasized trance feel and every few tracks there is a change from either a more trance styled track (higher bpm) into a more progressive trance styled composition (lower bpm) which makes this album a smooth, though pretty formulaic, ride through commercial trance music. Can't deny that Protoculture is trying to broaden his audience with a move like this but I really can't disapprove, let's go track by track..!

Music Is Forever

Naked

Love Technology

Big Blue

Euphoric Recall

Impala

Stars Of Sanbona

Midnight Mass

When listening a few tracks at first I dismissed this album as being too dull and similar but naked really sucked me in, after hearing that track I decided to give the others a go as well and after a while i discovered that each track has somewhat it's own vibe and feel, topped off with key melodies to turn them into unforgettable trance anthems. Real dancefloor stuff! A good dose of euphoria is pumped into most of the tracks' melodies along with groovy, pumpy and perfectly produced beatwork. Somehow the melodywork is still one tad too empty and linear in most of the tracks, as well as not psychedelic enough for being a *real* killer release in my book but I really tried and liked the other songs after naked. Also I find myself deeply inside Protoculture's take on music and his way of creating a gripping atmosphere so this release gets a firm Average/Good rating. This album will just take you up into the wide blue if you let it's light come through.

7/10

---

been wanting to post this one forever, but i can't get around finishing it so i'll try to add track per track description asap

great to have him on the forum now :P if you read this: I LOVE UR MUSIC!!!!!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMzZWvhCog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Protoculture change it style here leaving full on for something more progressive. There is a nice theme is each track here and nice melodies. I really enjoyed this release maybe missing psychedelism but good work. Favorite track are Naked with a nice break in the middle, Euphoric Recall, 1998.

Edit : After a lot of listening, Naked is a real killer track, i like how it restart after the break, wonderful.

• 3 years later...