Headphones/Speakers for goa/psytrance

Penzoline

i also have Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard for PC, and AKG K-271 MKII headphones. for that price range you have a very good sound.

BUT: if you listen to oldschool goa trance a lot and don't want to face the poor production on many tracks, it's advisable to play those on an ordinary laptop/portable player with Koss PortaPro or Koss the Plug headphones. that's what i do when listening to oldschool goa. well, actually i do this most of the time with any music as i don't want to sit in front of the PC all the time.

I agree often old school has somewhat of a poor sound, I'm not concerned though until I hear panning issues. That is the most annoying thing ever. It's all in the how revealing the headphones are, I didn't notice so many problems with my old stuff, but when something is well produced it sounds oh so amazing.

Also Porta Pro's are the best on ear headphones for the price. It's like the national headphone over here, you see so many use them.

I got a DAC recently to hook up to the computer. The sound just elevated to a whole new level. I can really recommend this if you are using your computer as source!

This is what I got; a Harmony Design DA9

Posted Image

P.S: But your headphones/speakers MUST be up to it. Otherwise it will just sound like headphones/speakers are on stereoids.

Those things are very expensive thou

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thomann.de/se/beyerdynamic_dt880_pro.htm

Posted Image

I alternate between these and the AKG-K271 mkII,

Posted Image

They are both great in their own ways. I mainly use them when producing music, but they work great when listening to music as well. It´s a joy to listen to your favourite goa tracks and discovering minute details which you had previously not heard, when listening to the tracks on for example your iphone.

Great choice, Diaks!

Thanks! I highly recommend both the headphones, especially for ambient and new school goa :wub:

Wow, what a cool things here! I listen many types of music (opera, goa trance, a lot of various metal, even enka songs :wub:), and for all these purposes I have only one speaker system (sigh sadly):

Posted Image

This is a best I can find in place where I live. At least, it have full frequency range, powerful sound, and costs not very expensive for me (~60 eur). I have not any amplifiers or smth similar, that`s why they must work with this:

Posted Image

or with mp3 players (occasionally). But I must say that I would not change this old (is gold) Philips to any new model, because it have very, very good equalizer (new models do not have EQ at all, in any case, at Ukrainian market). When his days ends, I will cry :(

PS: I don`t like headphones, so I don`t have any. ;)

Posted Image

Had these for a month or so now. Bose i feel needs high output which is why they work better with a mp3 player than the laptop whihc is surprising to me because i thought the other way around. Cant complain , but for the price im a bit pissed off tbh. will have to make do with these for a while till i upgrade .. any suggestions as to what next?

Posted Image

Had these for a month or so now. Bose i feel needs high output which is why they work better with a mp3 player than the laptop whihc is surprising to me because i thought the other way around. Cant complain , but for the price im a bit pissed off tbh. will have to make do with these for a while till i upgrade .. any suggestions as to what next?

I think it's because many labtops actually have shit sound mainly because they have to cramp all hardware in next to each other that leads to a lot of interference to the sound-card/circuitry, or so I have been told (apparently it's actually really hard to make a build that does not do this). I was actually at a speaker presentation a month or so back where they used a labtop as a source and the sound was shit, until one of my CDs went in the CD player (which they didn't use in the actual presentation :huh:) and the sound was crystal clear! I can't really get my head around that, I mean they should be experts yet they apparently didn't give a shit about their lousy laptop sound :(

I think it's because many labtops actually have shit sound mainly because they have to cramp all hardware in next to each other that leads to a lot of interference to the sound-card/circuitry, or so I have been told (apparently it's actually really hard to make a build that does not do this). I was actually at a speaker presentation a month or so back where they used a labtop as a source and the sound was shit, until one of my CDs went in the CD player (which they didn't use in the actual presentation :huh:) and the sound was crystal clear! I can't really get my head around that, I mean they should be experts yet they apparently didn't give a shit about their lousy laptop sound :(

It's always very difficult to get good sound out of tightly packed circuitry. Even on full-sized desktop computers, the onboard sound isn't as good as a dedicated sound card. It's just very hard to get great sound when there is so much other circuitry around it to interfere.

ASUS has started making a USB version of the sound card I have (Xonar DG), that you can use in a laptop. It's about $40 which is well worth the price if you like good quality sound, provided you have an open USB slot. It still probably won't sound as good as a desktop sound card or DAC, but it's a lot cheaper than a DAC:

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_U3/

It's always very difficult to get good sound out of tightly packed circuitry. Even on full-sized desktop computers, the onboard sound isn't as good as a dedicated sound card. It's just very hard to get great sound when there is so much other circuitry around it to interfere.

ASUS has started making a USB version of the sound card I have (Xonar DG), that you can use in a laptop. It's about $40 which is well worth the price if you like good quality sound, provided you have an open USB slot. It still probably won't sound as good as a desktop sound card or DAC, but it's a lot cheaper than a DAC:

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_U3/

Wow that is pretty interesting. Thanks for bringing it up to my attention!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a pair of Klipsch S5's (they're intended as a more durable version of the S4's, which is good because a lot of people seem to say that the S4's fall apart quickly) and I can recommend them.

Or rather I could, until they stopped working a few days ago. At least they have a two-year warranty so I should be able to get them replaced. I had to email their support, since the "Contact Us" form on their website has a required field with a drop-down menu with no entries, thereby making it impossible to complete.

http://www.asus.com/...Cards/Xonar_U3/

Nice device!! I should recommend that to those sound-"experts" :lol:

Or rather I could, until they stopped working a few days ago. At least they have a two-year warranty so I should be able to get them replaced. I had to email their support, since the "Contact Us" form on their website has a required field with a drop-down menu with no entries, thereby making it impossible to complete.

Did you tell them about the messed-up form? I once informed an audio gear reseller about a typo on their website and I got a free shirt out of it! Which I'm wearing right now (which I discover after I look down)!

Did you tell them about the messed-up form?

I did, but their reply didn't acknowledge it.

I once informed an audio gear reseller about a typo on their website and I got a free shirt out of it!

Cool!

I have the previous version of those headphones (they cost around 160 euro),

and that has to be your laptop exotic like mentioned above.

Try installing winamp with decent audio decoders...

Nice device!! I should recommend that to those sound-"experts"

Indeed, what is that ? Posted Image

LAdies and gentlemans i got THESE:

Posted Image

and they did an awesome job in Belgium :) I was so happy of my choice, they are so loud and clear, best headphones i heard, and i did a long comparison check with like 10 diff. models, they even beat the expensive HDJ 2000 of Pioneer (which still sound very good) and are on par with the AIAIAI even if i preferred the sennheisers at very loud volumes.

Also I had the exquisite experience of listening to those (for home listening):

Posted Image

and i was really shocked on how pure the sound was, it was really an incredible experience, i always underestimated Sony for some reasons but these headphones surprised me. I have been told they were very expensive when they first came out but now are kind of approachable as second headphones for home use

My previous one was also a sennheiser,

Hd215. When I played the turntables as a hobby they gave me a lot of fun,

but for listening @ home or mp3 it's imo not good enough... (often to quiet)

Posted Image

• 2 years later...

Audio-technica grandioso ath-w1000x

One of best headphones I have ever used for home listening..

$%28KGrHqUOKpIFH,LDPE4HBR5HwIQT7Q~~48_20

I highly recommend them, if you want to listen to goatrance/ambient..

These are near perfect headphone's for goa (in my opinion), sounds good in all aspects (mids, highs, lows)..

Highs are clear, detailed & bright, but not sibiliant(like beyers) , bass is strong and punchy & fast(!!).. (closed headphones).. mids are warm.. impedance is only 42ohm therefore headphone amp not necessary .. (but recommended, if you want better sound quality\dynamic or less bass etc... :)

Usually a good sound card enough to drive them.
So, I try lot of headphones (from sennheiser, akg, beyer, sony, denon, hifiman), but these are probably the best ones..

• 3 weeks later...

for large headphones at home i enjoy very much a pair of cheap "SUPREME" headphones.

They are extremely underrated and underpriced for their performance, IMO.

They are great. and about 70 us dollars, translated from swe kr.

http://www.4sound.se/itempg.aspx?artno=235666

for in-ear i have gone through about 8-9 pairs over the past 10 years.

My current ones are my second favorite, which is a pair of AKG in ear for smartphones. I use it together with my samsung galaxy s4 and the music sounds very nice, using the Poweramp media player, which has amazing eq and seperate Tone knobs for bass/treble

http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail-us/k328sbr.html

I bought a pair of these, two weeks ago: Eve Audio SC205

990283880_0cGQDEag_12.jpg

damn, do they sound fine.

Ribbon tweeters seem to be a mark of higher quality monitors. I've listen to some new Adams (not sure what model) and they sounded crisp as can be.