The future of Psynews

mars

Whether it was a hack or a DOS, Mars has made it clear that he thinks the OT forum was indirectly to blame.

ok...thats fine, i havent seen him say that, but ill take your word for it.

still...i feel its more a matter of poor monitoring and rule enforcement, as ive mentioned there are lots of forums that have similar sections and dont have those kinds of problems. i would still be interested in knowing how the ot forum could possibly be the problem. i.e. what is different about the ot forum as opposed to this one. what makes this forum less likely to cause such problems?

other than the fact that hardly anyone uses it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would still be interested in knowing how the ot forum could possibly be the problem. i.e. what is different about the ot forum as opposed to this one. what makes this forum less likely to cause such problems?

Beats me. I'm not convinced that Mars's suspicion was correct, though the forum doesn't seem to have been hacked since OT closed.

Only one way to really find out what happened is to start it up again, no? If it get's hacked again, well... Like Ouroboros said, lots of other forums with OT seem to do rather good. Psynews can really benefit from an OT forum, people can get to know each other better etc.

I hope the one who takes over Psynews can take an OT-section into consideration when he tries to revive it.

again....the site would be vulnerable to that no matter what forums were available, and the argument of "well it hast happened since" (not that thats been used) is moot...as it could happen all the same.

Beats me. I'm not convinced that Mars's suspicion was correct, though the forum doesn't seem to have been hacked since OT closed.

as you can see i already mentioned that argument.

the presence of an ot forum does not in and of itself pose any more or less of a threat than any other forum. it does however add a considerable amount of interest and usage. just look at the post count before and after the forum was closed. we all know it was the most used forum on here, and we all know the decline in site usage, posts and new members started after it was closed.

not having the ot forum adds zero protection against attacks of any kind, and seriously lessens the over all experience people came here for in the first place.

not having the ot forum adds zero protection against attacks of any kind, and seriously lessens the over all experience people came here for in the first place.

I'm gonna throw in a comment here and hope I don't make a fool of myself remembering it incorrectly. Ouroboros, you've been a member longer than me so I'd assume you would remember the situation, but perhaps not.

The way I remember it (and I didn't pay that much attention to all of it), it started with various inter-member drama and arguments involving at least some people who pretty much only posted in the OT forum. This led to moderation that was not seen favorably, which led to the attacks.

Regardless, all this is beating a dead horse. Can we get back to finding a new Jedi Master of Psynews? Then that person can make a decision on the OT forum.

I'm gonna throw in a comment here and hope I don't make a fool of myself remembering it incorrectly. Ouroboros, you've been a member longer than me so I'd assume you would remember the situation, but perhaps not.

The way I remember it (and I didn't pay that much attention to all of it), it started with various inter-member drama and arguments involving at least some people who pretty much only posted in the OT forum. This led to moderation that was not seen favorably, which led to the attacks.

Regardless, all this is beating a dead horse. Can we get back to finding a new Jedi Master of Psynews? Then that person can make a decision on the OT forum.

i understand that that was a problem...im only saying you cant blame the forum for that...blame the people involved.

as for getting back to finding someone to take over the site...i agree, its obviously the most important aspect (and indeed the purpose of the thread). im only going on about it because while i really want psynews to stay around...i dont see the point of going through the hassle of all this, to just keep it the way it is now...which is mostly dead.

im operating on the assumption that someone will step forward and take over, and im simply trying to point out a major aspect i think would be almost necessary for the site to be worth keeping.

i wish i could do it, but i dont have the exp. or know how to be able to.

id be more than happy, to help out however i can, but other than offering my time as a moderator (to make sure an ot forum doesnt get out of hand or something like that) i really cant do much except say what i feel would make the site better. i know there have plenty of offers for moderators already, and i also know thats just about the least help there is.

i dont want to see psynews go the way of the dodo...but i fear that even if someone takes it over...it wont last much longer unless there is a major overhaul.

....and really do not want to make the switch to the supersized Walmart of psy, Isra.

Couldn't put it better myself :)

Thanks Mars for doing such a great job over the past years. I can only begin to imagine pressure of trying to do this by yourself.

If I can be of any help in being part of the team then I'll put my hand up. I can spare an hour or two per day to keep the vibe alive.

Whether it was a hack or a DOS, Mars has made it clear that he thinks the OT forum was indirectly to blame.

To blame for a lot of drama, fights and eventually the presence of lame people exploiting weaknesses of the board to bring it down out of childish frustration.

ok...thats fine, i havent seen him say that, but ill take your word for it.

still...i feel its more a matter of poor monitoring and rule enforcement, as ive mentioned there are lots of forums that have similar sections and dont have those kinds of problems. i would still be interested in knowing how the ot forum could possibly be the problem. i.e. what is different about the ot forum as opposed to this one. what makes this forum less likely to cause such problems?

other than the fact that hardly anyone uses it.

You need people present daily and untouchable to enforce rules. I mean, you'd need people 24-7 dedicated to the OT. That was not what we did, as our moderators were Psy lovers, not really board-havoc-lovers.

OK right, I think we've let enough time. Let's recall all proposals:

Admin:

Insejn

sunstation (the russian label owner)

RTP

eiko/bwhale (come on...)

Mods:

elizabeths

@reyu

ziptnf

Goa-Head

Drosophila (not much time)

anoebis (music sections)

ouroboros

technossomy

Help:

Ormion (non technical)

Imba (non technical)

Go-Goa Trancer (non technical)

rotwang (money)

Senobyte (1-2h/day)

Technical:

BlackStarrFinale (infrastructure)

sunstation (the russian label owner)

Let's proceed with a vote now: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/60327-vote-for-the-next-psynews-admin/

And continue discussing on that other topic. I'll merge them in the end.