The future of Psynews

mars

If you decide to start a front page I suggest Joomla engine, it's really cool stuff, you can build your own website, add a content in categories and sections, It allows member registration, voting articles/reviews, submitting weblinks. There is also few modules that support banners, image galeries, webshop and stuff like that. It's not a problem to link existing forum with frontpage, all you need to do is to make an external link in a menu bar.

Joomla is great stuff for reviews, because on Neogoa (which uses Joomla engine) you can see what I'm talking about, text editors are similar to this ones here, you can add images, links, html codes, lists, metadata descriptions.

All you need is a server with mysql and some FTP program.

Joomla is great but you need a server with the ability to have safemode=off in order to have joomla operate optimal (most paid servers have safemode=on). Its quite easy to implement and design around joomla though.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Richpa, Joomla is great. However, my site-builder of choice is Wordpress. I have tried to create a whole site using Joomla, and it's quite complex if you don't have a good knowledge of computing.

Wordpress is more intuitive, and the plugins and widgets are vast and really nice.

I used Joomla before, but I have switched to Wordpress, It's easier, you save time and some neurons too. ;)

I don't have experience with Wordpress so i can't speak about it, maybe Basilisk can tell us little more about it (afaik, Ektoplazm got wordpress engine, and works great.

Speaking about Joomla, yeah it's a bit complicated when you first start with it. There is a bunch of modules, some of them are active when you log in as a administrator. If you decide to use Joomla for the first time, my suggestion is: Don't forget to install example template with all modules turned on, it's much easire to understand the way Joomla works.

For example every single article on the website should have his own category and section, something like this:

Section: Reviews

Category: Albums

Article: Radical Distortion - Psychedelic...

Section: News)

Category: New Releases

Article: some random announcement

Section: Reviews

Category EP's

Article: Artha - Fluori EP

and so on...

Joomla is great but you need a server with the ability to have safemode=off in order to have joomla operate optimal (most paid servers have safemode=on). Its quite easy to implement and design around joomla though.

Dunno about this safe mode, but on my server i can't upload files and media through Joomla uploader - only with FTP program works in my case. Speaking of design, yeah, there is a bunch of free templates on the internet, and there is two ways of making different outlook. If you got html page already, Joomla got feature to implement html files and images into Joomla (TBH, i never worked with this, but i notice that feature recently). Other way is to manually edit php files of selected template, it's not a big deal, all you need to do before editing is to make a backup of .php file that you're editing, and after that you can replace headers, default fonts, content and table backgrounds directly through ftp programs.

The forum itself can be bent into providing for a news section easily, and that would be my choice for security, simplicity and features - comments would be a given for example, same users, just 1 software package (and DB) to maintain...

In any case I wouldn't kill the cow before I bought it - eg first identify the need, then figure out how to provide for it. Keep it simple and real.

The forum itself can be bent into providing for a news section easily, and that would be my choice for security, simplicity and features - comments would be a given for example, same users, just 1 software package (and DB) to maintain...

In any case I wouldn't kill the cow before I bought it - eg first identify the need, then figure out how to provide for it. Keep it simple and real.

That is what I have in mind too.

OK, I am only posting now because I spared this thread until I have some time to properly "digest" the news

It's quite sad that Mars is retiring. I'd like to use this opportunity to say a big, big thank you. Without you, Mars, I'd eventually sit at quite a different point of life, music-wise. So, thanks a huge lot for keeping it up all the time.

As for the retirement and take-over of the boards, I'm really kind of excited now because I'd actually be in the position to say yes.

I have a job and have not much time because of it, but a recent makeover shows that I do have a bit of time and I can use it for something productive. And it's even better when it is plannable (to a certain extent) like this forum activity because I like when the process is more regular.

In fact, I am confident that I could do it.

And I like the board. I also like how it is now, without Offtopic, focused on information and news about the scene. I think this is quite important. Offtopic can be discussed on so many other places, I'd prefer if this place here stayed like this now. Lots of scene people coming here, posting news, reviews and discussing releases. It's perfect.

I also have technical knowledge. I'm a graduated student of IT. And it would even be good for me if I can use/learn more skills because in the current job I have I feel I don't fully use them.

I have often wanted to contribute to the scene, to give something back for the good things I received. I tried to make music, write reviews and such, but the music attempt failed terribly and of the reviews I don't really write many. So? Maybe this is the chance I should take?

An additional benefit might be the relative distance I have to personal issues of members, fights and such...

Hehe, I feel like writing an application letter ... yet this is voluntary work, lol.

But I do not want to say a yes yet.

Mars, can you describe a typical day's work on the forums? What do you do when you come home from your job (at what time you come home)? What is to do?

- approve new accounts or not (everyday a few minutes)

- update the board with patches when needed (once every 2/3 months, 15 minutes)

- clean up the mess and fights (depends on weeks, between no time and shitloads of time)

- answer to all sorts of requests (change email/nickname, complaints, publich interviews, merging conversations, members, 0-2 hours/week)

- keeping bwhale from coming back (perpetual attention)

As you see this is quite automatic.

I believe what's most needed here is some willpower to start over a new leaf and make the site live, grow.

OK now this thread has been going on for 2 weeks, I think we should organize a vote or something.

As I have been involved for 10 years as well, and I am part of 604.be as well as a moderator I do check the forums quiet alot... if moderators are needed, I am still willing to it :) but only the music section please :)

Things to make this site better:

-Open the offtopic

-Make it something more than forums. Like back in the golden days when there was a front page with updates, news, parties.

-REVIEW DATABASE!!!!>review forums

-Send all the ''oh psytrance is dead, lol you guys keep listening to psy, haha?'' people home. :P;)

this

plus it wouldnt hurt to have a radio stream. i dont know the cost or logistics of that....im just saying.

also...ive been around here for a while...im no where near as active as i used to be. i only check here 2 or 3 times a week...and i rarely post anything anymore.

why?

no off topic forum.

i know someone mentioned this already....but seriously how many threads about "whats the best......bla bla bla" can we look at a day?

this forum has definitely slowed way down...and its mostly because there just isnt a whole lot to talk about when it comes to psytrance. music production is down (not really but you know what i mean) theres less parties, and theres just not an influx of new listeners.

im not saying psytrance as music is dead or dying, i go to packed parties almost every week...but its the same people every week. im saying its a bit stagnant.

i find 90% of the topics now uninteresting and a bit boring. i still come here for the 10% that are exciting and interesting. i like it here, i like the people and the vibe...id really like to be able to talk to them about other stuff.

so...i guess im saying

off topic was what kept this place feeling alive and i really really think it should be reopened.

- approve new accounts or not (everyday a few minutes)

- update the board with patches when needed (once every 2/3 months, 15 minutes)

- clean up the mess and fights (depends on weeks, between no time and shitloads of time)

- answer to all sorts of requests (change email/nickname, complaints, publich interviews, merging conversations, members, 0-2 hours/week)

- keeping bwhale from coming back (perpetual attention)

As you see this is quite automatic.

OK, I understand.

Sounds doable actually.

Do you currently have mods or do you do it all alone? Because especially for point 3 it would be very useful to have some help...

The thing is this: I have a job where I cannot plan my workload well. So it can happen to me that I am at work all day and kind of dead when I come home. It will survive when I am not checking one day, won't it?

Next thing is: what is when you are in holiday?

Nevertheless you're right, it sounds very automatic.

I believe what's most needed here is some willpower to start over a new leaf and make the site live, grow.

Thing is, I would embrace the chance to contribute to this, to make it better, different. A mere psy news portal is good, but as a whole it would be better if there was more...

Ouroboros stated a valid point when he says that to build a community, a place is needed where you can discuss other things than just psy. There indeed are only so many times you can ask the question what goatrance to recommend. Over the years it feels like each of those question threads has practically become an "introduction" thread for each new member ... everybody asks the question once, some good sould provide suggestions and well, that's it :P

But opening OT again is opening the door to a shitload of issues.

What I prefer would be some modular structure of the whole psynews construct and not just one forum site.

But I can't change the place alone. I only have a limited amount of time and energy I can provide.

I'd go so far as to say that an off-topic section defines a community as opposed to a message board. It's almost weird posting here now (as there used to be an off-topic section), because you feel the need to regulate your posts and never ever stray into anything else than 1) Did you / did you not like the music 2) CDs vs MP3's vs Vinyl 3) Hey guys I'm listening to Shiva Shidapu today. This place needs way more creativity and way more humor.

I don't miss the off-topic wars, but I do believe they were an appropriate cost for the really, really awesome people and ideas that were posted here.

The whole idea behind this subculture is way more than 'just' the music.

That's why the reviews here should be kept and made into a database, the site layout should go back to the roots (with OOOD's essay, maybe fan art, experiences, links to clothing, whatever trippy stuff, parties), and and an offtopic-section should be reintroduced just to see if it works this time again.

Bottom line is: I wanna be able to go to psynews and feel that it's part of that way old "treasure hunt" era on the internet with fusion anomaly, looking through obscure threads about artists and music.

Make it less clean and way more enjoyable.

ok so im about to ask what is probably a stupid question....

what exactly is the problem with having an off topic section? why are people worried about it?

Drama, drama, drama. People fight with each other, which in turn can provide a bad reputation for the board. I feel like the OT board should be opened up again, but under probation. If any user posts anything negative, hateful, racist, or anything that would be frowned upon by Mars, they are immediately suspended. Repeat offenders should be permabanned. If enough people act up, close it forever.

Drama, drama, drama. People fight with each other, which in turn can provide a bad reputation for the board. I feel like the OT board should be opened up again, but under probation. If any user posts anything negative, hateful, racist, or anything that would be frowned upon by Mars, they are immediately suspended. Repeat offenders should be permabanned. If enough people act up, close it forever.

really? thats the problem?

wow...that seems a very silly thing to worry about.

as far as im concerned...let people fight a little if they want to. im not saying things should get out of hand or anything, but being worried about drama is kinda silly.

drama, negative posts, hateful posts, and racism can show up on any forum in any thread.

although i dont agree with the practice...if there is a concern about specific subjects...well rules can be put in place for those subjects.

a large part of this community is an openness to differing views and ideas...i think its much more important to nurture that than repress it due to fears of impropriety.

Except it led to multiple DDOS attacks which managed to cripple the servers.

well thats an entirely different thing....and is more of the real answer i guess.

although i dont think you can blame the presence of an off topic forum for that. id blame the improper enforcement of forum and site rules to let it get to that point. i dont see how having a forum for people to discuss things not psy related was the actual cause of the problems.

there are many many forums out there with off topic sections and the like...they seem to do fine.

again....the site would be vulnerable to that no matter what forums were available, and the argument of "well it hast happened since" (not that thats been used) is moot...as it could happen all the same.

as i mentioned...proper monitoring , rule placement and enforcement should be enough to prevent that sort of thing.

and just to make a point.....this thread itself is "off topic" i understand the nature of the thread is such that a lot of people want to say something...but still, look how many people are following it and participating. there have been disagreements and opposing views, but its managed to stay civil and is in fact a very interesting thread. if you extrapolate the interest and desire to talk about something other than the latest cd you bought to many other topics...its plain that people really want a place where they can just shoot the shit with like minded people.

well thats an entirely different thing....and is more of the real answer i guess.

although i dont think you can blame the presence of an off topic forum for that. id blame the improper enforcement of forum and site rules to let it get to that point. i dont see how having a forum for people to discuss things not psy related was the actual cause of the problems.

there are many many forums out there with off topic sections and the like...they seem to do fine.

again....the site would be vulnerable to that no matter what forums were available, and the argument of "well it hast happened since" (not that thats been used) is moot...as it could happen all the same.

as i mentioned...proper monitoring , rule placement and enforcement should be enough to prevent that sort of thing.

and just to make a point.....this thread itself is "off topic" i understand the nature of the thread is such that a lot of people want to say something...but still, look how many people are following it and participating. there have been disagreements and opposing views, but its managed to stay civil and is in fact a very interesting thread. if you extrapolate the interest and desire to talk about something other than the latest cd you bought to many other topics...its plain that people really want a place where they can just shoot the shit with like minded people.

I vote for ouroborus to help administrate in the future. Should he have time. Sounds like quite a rational person from this and previous statements.

Except it led to multiple DDOS attacks which managed to cripple the servers.

Did it? I know the servers got hacked along with Suntrip and Filteria's sites, I don't remember the site being DDOS'd though. Perhaps Mars will set the record straight.

Did it? I know the servers got hacked along with Suntrip and Filteria's sites, I don't remember the site being DDOS'd though. Perhaps Mars will set the record straight.

Well whatever the case was, the servers went down.

I also thought that it was not DDOS. It was some hacks using weaknesses in the board software as far as I was aware of what happened ... I don't know though.

It's not the point anyway. Somebody has been attacking the servers. Who it is is a good question. There are people who think it's still Bruce/Jacob ... and there are even more freaked out theories about who these person(s) are...

Nevertheless, it seems to get attacked from time to time. And I think that also was a reason for Mars to close down the Offtopic (not the reason, but a reason ... as in: the drop that made the dam break). At least that's how I got it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, apparently there are quite some people up for something good. Sounds quite nice! How about if we throw ourselves together and clarify what we gonna do, who shall run the place (one vs. a group of people) and whatnot.

I have reflected a bit myself and I think it would be too much for me to run the place. I mean, I might even be able to do it ... but in the long run you probably will not see the progress some of you (and even me) desire. At least if I keep my job...

So what are we gonna do?

so youre not sure what happened then? in that case i feel without mars saying it was a direct result...we cant say it was because of the off topic forum.

Whether it was a hack or a DOS, Mars has made it clear that he thinks the OT forum was indirectly to blame.