The future of Psynews

mars

It would be a pitty to see that nobody wants to take the site over...! it has the biggest goa-trance review databse of the whole world!

The people that say "I have some time left", really, running a forum is not that hard and Fabien is able to "teach" you how to upgrade servers in a relatively short time. So it's rather a matter of willing instead of knowing...

So, raise your hands, and let psynews revive! :) (and if you find lots of moderators you may be able to start off topic again for all the people that miss it so much :))

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's make a list of people who are wiliing to contribute in a way or the other to make the website still go.

I don't have IT skills but can offer myself as a moderator. Am also ready to learn how to upgrade serbers as meant before.

I still need the server for Suntrip, so if the forums stays on it, there's nothing to change. If the site had to move of course that would need some work.

Well then... I don't know how much admin (not moderation) work there is now. But maybe I could do that?

Well then... I don't know how much admin (not moderation) work there is now. But maybe I could do that?

Currently not much. Validationg new accounts daily, upgrading the board whever a new version arrives (~every 3 months), and fixing a few discrepancies here and there with some account (password forgotten, merging accounts, etc). That's for the forums.

But it could be good to have some people launching initiatives too with a real frontpage, as it used to be. But that's about building a team of motivated people.

I'm willing to help with the non-technical stuff.

I'm not experienced with forums, but I'm still in love with psy and I can contribute with new releases updates and stuff, like the old psynews page used to have.

I wanna help out as a mod if necessary. It's just that I haven't got any experience whatsoever. I hope PN can stay the way as it is and maybe get the OT started again. :D

I don't have oceans of spare time but I can help with moderation, no wife but just starting up a phd project, so it will probably takes most of time, but I want to help with what I can, cus I love this site!!!! :wub:

I've read through your posts on this topic and I've got several different feelings.

Psy music changed my life acouple years ago, so I was happy when I found this forum, a place where I could expand my love with others...

I got psynews.org in my bookmarks and I check it often, but I know I would miss it...

So the only thing I can do about it is offering my help.

I'm an IT guy, so if there's anything, any problem or any desire what you need help in, ask me and I'll try to help you if I can..

Best wishes

Seriously why not just close it all down Mars? It used to be a vibrant fresh community where things happened. Nowadays its totally dead. I doubt new moderators will manage to bring it back to live.

Its like with used things. Do not hold on to it forever. Make a spring cleaning once in a while. Same here. Stop at the right time and move on in life. I am sure there can be other communities in the future. Different yes but still just as interesting.

This forum will never be what it used to be. Nothing ever become the same.

My 2 cents.

I think that psy trance is becoming to electronic music what 1980's synth-pop (think of Roxy Music, Cetu Javu, Modern Talking etc etc) is to 2010's rock:

sweetly nostalgic. And it was good, people wish 1980s could come back.

So, times have changed, psy is not the same anymore and Psynews' members miss it a lot. But it does not mean that the site itself is stuck in time.

Perhaps this site is not so accessed as it used to be, but then we have to take into consideration that now there are more, much more, sites dedicated

to electronic music than, say, 10 years ago.

I think that Psynews could go on, and have an upgrade: become a virtual shop, selling not only MP3, MP4, but also clothing and whatsnot.

I will link a Japanese online shop which could be "an example". They sell online, but they don't have a forum.

Don't shut down the site, Mars, it's good.

http://www.psychedelicgarden.com/

A shop will always be biased, and not work as a proper forum, at least it should not be merged into one, no problem in having a shop and a forum on the side (different site and so on)... but a merge will be way to commercial and I think it will make people leave.

I disagree, Drosophila: music is not a gentlemen's land anymore. Long gone is modesty. Self promotion is the rule. Take a look at the footer of some posters here and in Isratrance: they advertise their own tracks.

So, no problems with a site being biased. I would not have any problem with that.

And I doubt Psynews would recommend buying anything from Infected Mushroom, for instance.

The site could have a banner of their latest release, but I doubt people who visit Psynews would be

naive enough to not know to separate bad things from the good.

Seriously why not just close it all down Mars? It used to be a vibrant fresh community where things happened. Nowadays its totally dead. I doubt new moderators will manage to bring it back to live.

Its like with used things. Do not hold on to it forever. Make a spring cleaning once in a while. Same here. Stop at the right time and move on in life. I am sure there can be other communities in the future. Different yes but still just as interesting.

This forum will never be what it used to be. Nothing ever become the same.

My 2 cents.

Oh god. I saw that coming from miles away.

To make this site alive again opening the off topic again is the best thing you can do of course (altough I doubt more goa-trance posts then now will apear)

so yes, I agree, promotion and extras can make the site more interesting again :) the more posts, the more vivid, the more people are willing to contribute themselves! :)

Oh god. I saw that coming from miles away.

I am sure you did but there was not bad intention in my post no matter what you think you know. Just an observation and honest opinion. I am aware you do not share my opinion but dont forget that not everyone need to agree with you ;)

Things to make this site better:

-Open the offtopic

-Make it something more than forums. Like back in the golden days when there was a front page with updates, news, parties.

-REVIEW DATABASE!!!!>review forums

-Send all the ''oh psytrance is dead, lol you guys keep listening to psy, haha?'' people home. :P;)

Its like with used things. Do not hold on to it forever. Make a spring cleaning once in a while. Same here. Stop at the right time and move on in life.

Why do you keep coming back, then?

Very sad to hear that Mars. Many many good times were spent on these pages and many good albums were discovered.. If you decide to freeze the forum is it possible to set the old offtopic section visible?

Why do you keep coming back, then?

Err, do you really wanna open this issue here? You know the score with this guy ;)