The future of Psynews

mars

This thread will decide of the future of Psynews

It's been almost 11 years Psynews exist. And for almost 11 years I've been part of it. I'm 33, during one third of my life I've been dealing with it with more or less attention.

A lot of other people have been working on psynews too, countless hours. For reviews, on the website, on the moderation, the contests, bestof, etc. I would like to thank them all.

However, everytime there's a difficult situation with some member, everytime the server crashes, everytime all mods got demotivated, someone has to be there to deal with the situation. Since Children left us in 2003, I was compelled to BE THERE, daily, for any situation, I was supposed to be available, would it be for 30 seconds or 3 hours. And did that with faith, then less faith, then on autopilot. I saw it with great sadness. I had great plans for Psynews, but one can't move mountains alone.

Well, time passed. I'm no longer aware of every release, every party, every gossip. I have a wife, lots of (real) work, plus Suntrip, and priorites are changing. What happens when one makes plans for the future and there's no room for Psynews anymore?

So I'm looking forward to letting Psynews go.

There are countless ways of doing that:

- shutting it down

- letting it open in read only

- resell the domain name and board license and turn a blind eye to it

- hand it over to another team on this same server

- hand the whole data over to another team

- etc...

I hope you'll agree with me that Psynews is a great place to find infos on Psytrance in general, and its archive is very valuable. So I'd prefer handing handing it over.

But Psynews is mostly about the past now. In order to have a future, Psynews needs a new impulse, some fresh blood. Having that in mind, my decison became obvious.

But now I need a bunch of white knights.

Well, over the years I've seen many people interested in participating to one aspect or another, dozens of moderators, with the greatest intentions, and each of them got bored. After one day or five years they eventually abandoned. No blame with that, dealing with a known website, not that big however, neither very active, is a daily and demanding thing. And everyone has his studies, jobs, affairs, right? And anyway it's much more fun to use a site than managing it and being taken for a punching ball.

At the light of this experience, if I want to hand Psynews over, how can I find a team motivated enough? How can I believe that motivation will last enough? How can I guarantee my "white knights" will not let the site to die after a while?

I can't. And yet I have to find someone; the site cannot die like that, can it ?

Maybe you're reading this and are thinking you're the man/woman for the job. Fine, but let me warn you once again. It's a joy, and also a burden. And don't think you'll manage alone, you'll need a team.

In my opinion, to handle Psynews in the long run you must be:

- 100000% in love wth Psytrance

- Have a lot of time, like 1-2 hours/day if you want to make it live seriously

- Pretend to be extremely wise, impartial, open, communicative

- Be ready to work with other people

- And yet be a leader, democracy doesn't work well on the internet

- Have some tehnical background

- Be ready to spend some money with it (domain name, server)

- Never-never-never give up as Churchill said

- But be ready to hand over the site yourself when life catches you in turn.

I don't have all of these qualities myself, for instance I never was a team player, but we used to work like a charm Children and I. Having some hindsight and finding the complimentary person is sometimes sufficient.

So who wants to take Psynews over ?

mars.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. this can't happen.. I'm not really interested into switching to isra for various reason. Also the other English forums are even less active than pie and then there's all the others with different languanges. Psynews is the perfect balance. Problem is how underground the genre still is and how enthused the small amount of people talking about it are, it would suck balls if I couldn't really talk about the genre even on the internet for cookies sake. Having real life enthused discussions about goatrance is not exactly something that will happen. I could fish a job as a moderator(I have previous experience on this) for a team if someone wants to take over..

Oh and I don't think the admin should run a forum like a moderator and someone who tries to do everything by themselves, sure if they can, why not, but otherwise that's why you have moderators who can and want to spend the time. The only times the admin is neccesary to make a visit is when the moderators require the admin, i.e. when the shit truly hits the fan or other important stuff - and maybe it's good to check in once in a while. And also never expect moderators to stick around years, they do it for free and out of love and do eventually get bored/distracted, that's when you let them go and pick new one's. The Admin does need to be very dedicated though, tons of activity isn't required but otherwise they shouldn't leave after a mere year because they can indeed decide how to run the site and do all the critical stuff.

Also the amount of history is something that at least should be preserved. Just look at all the posts dating back to early 00's!

Hmm. Psynews is my homepage for years now, so you can guess it's a big part of my cyber life.

I wish I could help. I could help as moderator, but I don't have any experience in that area.

Psynews was part of my earliest internet experience. It was part of the fusion anomaly "treasure hunt" days where you had to dig deep to find the really good stuff.

When the newer forum layouts and eventually off topic went away, the forum kind of went into a more 'clean' phase which obviously changed the feel of it.

The review section here is unmatched anywhere else, and what I think is really worth keeping. You've kept it floating for a long time mars, and I understand it can't keep going forever.

Right but Psynews is hopefully not going to die with me going away.

My point is really to hand it over.

We do need someone! Only one proposal so far from...bwhale/eiko :)

Please guys, so? There's hundreds of you coming daily, so who's the man? Or shiuld we pass an announce on Isratrance of something????

Wow. You think of a website as an entity that isn't run by real people. It will be here forever. I understand that life's turns make you refocus and priorities are shifted.

I visit this site several times everyday. It is the unparalleled review section that got me into psytrance and why I do so many reviews. Remember all the ones that DeathPosture, did? If I can reach people and tell them how great this music is then maybe the community can grow and then they can do the same.

I have no IT skills and I myself have a wife and a child (soon to be 2). I would really like to continue writing reviews for this site and really do not want to make the switch to the supersized Walmart of psy, Isra.

Mdk

You have a lot to be proud of here, 11 years of this place going shows the momentum going on. I wouldn't see this as a sad moment. You have to do whats best for you and shouldn't feel guilty that you've kept this amazing community going.

What if this site merged with ektoplazm? The easiest solution could be to merge this group with something already running, then people who already are managing a portal can just plug psynews into their hub, its less likely that someone who doesn't know any IT/web will materialize and be able to turn the gears. Mars you could try contacting Basilisk, or make an offer to any affiliates you might work with. Those are my ideas, I don't know if they are good :)

Ofcourse, any psynewser is also more than welcome, if you're out there

Psynews is a great resource and should definitely continue.

Fabien, you've done a terrific job and I totally understand where you are coming from. I participate little in here but I do read it often and I would be sad to let it fade out.

I have no time to do any moderation tasks but I do have the tech know how to keep the infrastructure of the forum running. I would be happy to assist in this area.

Mars you are/were the only one for psynews.

I hope someone will emerge but I fear the worst!

What I never understood is WHO constantly tried and tries to shut it down, what for?

There are over 40+ psychedelic forums dealing psytrance that i know of and why is this one being attacked?

There isn't even an offtopic section anymore, we don't speak about drugs at all and yet some people do wanna harm this comunity, it is really strange I say.

I wish I could help you but i'm almost your age and plan to move out the internet addiction sometimes soon too as I am here since year 2000 myself too..

I hope that it will continue to exist somehow, but i know that if it will remain in read only mode it will last little.

Selling it , i don't see someone buying it if not to make money with advertising or something.. i don't know what to say.

But I am with you and perfectly understand you.

Funny Comment: why don't we leave both psynews and discogs forums to eiko? he would "rule us all".

I've been here since april 2010 and it has been an interesting ride so far. The review section is amazing. I'm a music lover always looking for the best stuff and I've discovered a lot here. I hope someone is up for the job cause I'll def gonna miss it. :unsure:

Moderation is not exactly the most difficult of tasks. All it requires is you to check the boards 2-3 times a day (I already do that) and check for new posts that look like spam, check out threads in your dedicated subforums for racism/spam/flaming/what have you, and that's it. If you can post on forums, you can moderate on forums, as long as you aren't a corrupt bastard. I've been a moderator on several different forums and it's never that difficult. I probably could not be the administrator, but I could definitely help make sure everything is running smoothly.

This forum's been relatively inactive for some time now. The closing of off-topic made a lot of visitors disappear as the range of discussion was narrowed. To be perfectly honest, there's only so many times when you can ask about your fav'e goa cds etc.

How many times one comes here, checks what's up to notice there's 2 new posts as the result of a whole day? It's been a great ride but I understand, and don't feel so bad if Mars decides to call it a day.

Oh crap!

I've been here for a long, long time. Since the very beginning, almost. Psynews has always been there in one form or another. I really hope it will live on becuase all other psyforums I've visited is simply shit compared to psynews :P

I actually like Aeroes suggestion. I have some technical knowledge within the forum since I've been admin/moderator but nothing about the server mumbo jumbo.

This forum's been relatively inactive for some time now. The closing of off-topic made a lot of visitors disappear as the range of discussion was narrowed. To be perfectly honest, there's only so many times when you can ask about your fav'e goa cds etc.

How many times one comes here, checks what's up to notice there's 2 new posts as the result of a whole day? It's been a great ride but I understand, and don't feel so bad if Mars decides to call it a day.

Well if someone else takes psynews in control then they may as well make a new off-topic and the activity might increase. Of course he needs to bear in mind on what happened to psynews because of offtopic a couple of times.

What if this site merged with ektoplazm?

That was my first reaction to the news but I don't think it would be the right thing to do. Psynews would no longer be Psynews if it became the forum I am currently working to develop. Besides, I like being "just a member" around here; there's no conflict of interest that way. Never applied to become a mod for the same reason. That being said, Mars and Psynews have my full support, and I am absolutely certain "the end is not yet"!

As the passive observer, the off topic section of the site was classy and something I enjoyed browsing back in the day. I didn't experience any of the drama parts, but I am with oopie, this place is very serious without off topic, the site becomes mostly new release spam where you can't find a good track, unless discussing your top tracks in general discussion. Oopie has a point

That was my first reaction to the news but I don't think it would be the right thing to do. Psynews would no longer be Psynews if it became the forum I am currently working to develop.

Just have a link on the main page to "psynews.org" It points to this forum loaded up on your servers, so psynews is just this neutral group. I only brought you up since your site came to mind, since its great too Once upon a time psynews.org was a site too. Ektoplazm is like a modern equivalent in a way, at least so far as a psytrance hub with high traffic. Plus its starting to remind me of the mp3.com glory days with the amount of quality free music on there.. It just needs a forum :)

Then again, Basilisk, if you're developing a sweet forum for ektoplazm or it already has one, if this forum for some reason can't continue we could all just organize and have people here jump onto that forum. Thats one way of handling things.

I'd hate to see psynews disappear. But then again, Mars IS psynews and he has done a tremendous job.

If nobody is willing to take the cockpit maybe it possible to transfer the most important sections from this forum to Ektoplazm? But Ektoplazm will sail under it's own flag. I dunno... I'm pretty curious about your forum Basilisk, any beta I can try out? :)

About forum database, how large it is on server and what is average monthly traffic? Anyhow, I hope that we will have reviews kept on internet (at least as a read only), that is treasure of this board.

Approx 1 GB MySql.

I actually like Aeroes suggestion. I have some technical knowledge within the forum since I've been admin/moderator but nothing about the server mumbo jumbo.

I still need the server for Suntrip, so if the forums stays on it, there's nothing to change. If the site had to move of course that would need some work.

I'd hate to see psynews disappear. But then again, Mars IS psynews and he has done a tremendous job.

Naaah all it takes is a lot of love for the movement and a lot of motivation. Maybe not everyone has these, but surely more than one person.

Maybe pass the word around? Even on other forums and communities?

Maybe pass the word around? Even on other forums and communities?

You serious? IMO you need to pass this place onto someone whom you've seen post for a long time and that you can have some degree of trust. Preferably someone you've met in person. Who knows who you might get or what might happen if you start looking in foreign places.

Surely it's in your own interests even from a purely business perspective as you're aware of how effective this place has been as a tool for the success of your own label. It's an important resource and outlet for so many other maverick businessmen, enthusiasts, Artists, DJ's and connouissers. I think for that reason you won't hastily make this decision or make it at all if it doesn't seem right. Suntrip as a label seems to have a pretty rare ethical and quality control perspective that's flowed from and into the direction of the forums. If you palm the sight off to the wrong sort of guy it might start getting twisted down a dissappointing and stagnant road, potentially ruining its effectiveness for alot of people.

I've really come to love this site. I don't talk to anyone about psytrance in person(which I kind of like). Most people I meet who have ever heard of it haven't usually moved past listening to the Shpongle albums that they've downloaded. This seems to be the only place to talk about it where there is a strong and consistent degree of intelligence, passion, honesty and integrity of the userbase. I kinda love the fact that psytrance lovers are few and far between. I really appreciate feeling other people's appreciation for the music as is evident here. I love reading the reviews while listening to releases. I look forward to one day posting a few reviews here and there. If you're an aspiring artist, whether visual, aural or interpretational (review writer) there is no better place to begin and potentially become successful/transformational in the PSY/GOA scene than here.

With great power comes great responsibility and that power has been and still is in your hands at present to contribute to the future of this music and the lives of those it touches. Posted ImagePosted Image

/DRAMA

Oh man, where would I get my psy fix if this place went away? Psynews is responsible for my love of psy, and is the only place I hear about new releases.

I certainly have the time, but unfortunately none of the other things needed to run a quality site. Is it pretty intensely technical to do?

Oh man, where would I get my psy fix if this place went away? Psynews is responsible for my love of psy, and is the only place I hear about new releases.

I certainly have the time, but unfortunately none of the other things needed to run a quality site. Is it pretty intensely technical to do?

We're not talking about stopping it. Not insanely technical. There's a few procedures to upgrade this and that but if the site emains on the same server then the database and softwares will be handled with Suntrip's and only the board code itself needs to be maintained/upgraded.

Else, most of the work is about making the site live (ideas, articles, polls, communication, finding reviewers, etc)