Posted Image

Artist: Persistent Aura

Title: The Great Timestream Bifrucation EP

Label: Underground Alien Factory Records

Date: November, 2010

1. Greco-Mayan Civilisation

2. Trance Plant

3. I've Met Cats And Dogs Smarter Than Cory And Trevor

UAF have been impressing me as of late. Not only has the netlabel run by our very own Imba released quality EPs but they have been doing it for free. He has a stable of artists that have very different ideas where goa trance should tread and how it should sound. Because of that there is something for everyone who enjoys this genre. Persistent Aura is Ewoud Vandenberghen from Belgium and he has appeared on a couple of comps. My favorite track by him was the no holds barred House of Sun on the Nitz-Ho-Goa compilation. This EP was mastered by our good friend Tommy (Wizack Twizack) and the cover art (which is beautiful) was done by Imba himself, proving that he has further talents than releasing great tunes. Current photo below:

Posted Image

Greco-Mayan Civilisation- Wow what can I say? This bounces along with melody after melody intertwining with a nod in the Nitzho direction. 10 and a half minutes of fast paced leads with nary a break. Intense, but a great track.

Trance Plant- This begins with a heavier beat and a more middle eastern flair. The melodies cascade across each other with another wink to the nitzho crowd. He just builds layers upon layers, sounds wonderful.

I've Met Cats And Dogs Smarter Than Cory And Trevor- I don't think Cory and Trevor are going to take to kindly to that. Unless they are dumber than cats and dogs. More spiraling melodies treat the ears with this last track and while I don't like it as much as the previous two it is still good.

This is one of my favorite releases from UAF. Melodic as hell with seamless lead introduction. Not so much that it is cluttered and chaotic, just enough so that it can take you away. This is a great EP and I will be listening to it for a looooong time. I still can't believe that this was free. Keep doing what you do UAF!

Ektoplazm

Mdk

Indeed sounds nice! One of the best in "nitzhogoa" ;) But, about the coverart, only the font was done by Imba i think..

The fractal art is done by Persistent Aura himself, he's a really great fractal-artist!! (Check out deviant-art)

Yeah, his fractals are great, you can check his works here: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/59252-persistent-aura-fractal-art/

However, it's kind a lame to take credits for design if you put only some shareware font with glow effect. Anyhow, i'm not huge nitzhogoa fan, but Persistent Aura got huge potential and i can't wait to hear his full lenght.

I find this sub-genre of nitzhogoa a disappointing evolution of the GOA sound. People label their music with this term, as if it were something positive; or at least as if they have no idea what nitzhonot is to begin with. Nitzhonot is a joke, or music for children at best. Adding elements of this style would do nothing, one should expect, to improve the original concept, except crowbar in big cheesy repetitive melodies to attract people that care about little else than that.

Coverart by Imba

Fractalart by Persistent Aura

I just done additional works :)

Thanks again for good review. Just about one thing i dont agree, second track!

Not middle eastern melodies, they are more south-eastern european melodies - music from Balkan. Old music is same like this :)

I find this sub-genre of nitzhogoa a disappointing evolution of the GOA sound. People label their music with this term, as if it were something positive; or at least as if they have no idea what nitzhonot is to begin with. Nitzhonot is a joke, or music for children at best. Adding elements of this style would do nothing, one should expect, to improve the original concept, except crowbar in big cheesy repetitive melodies to attract people that care about little else than that.

Evolution of the goa sound? Just a sub-genre of neogoa set in motion by nitzhonot listeners(Agneton's debut, anyone?). The melodies are way more in your face and don't really take themselves so very seriously like the usual neogoa tries to. As it is mostly made by people who enjoy that nitzhonot, the tracks tend to have flavour of it. I don't see the big deal here with saying "as if it were something positive", how isn't it? Because it contains cheesier melodies than normal neogoa? Or are you just talking about the labeling? It's still good, fun, pumping dance music to me. Nowhere near as bad as nitzhonot.

thanks for the great review trance2move and supporting comments everyone!

The artwork is indeed done by me :) fonts by imba

if you like it make sure to check out my deviantart page! http://persistentaura.deviantart.com/

Imba is right about the trance plant melodies :P that scale (neapolitan minor) is very typical of southeastern european music. Although it often sounds eastern or egyptian to a lot of people. I allmost allways use the neapolitan minor and arabic scales in my music, often combining them. But that track has mostly the neapolitan minor scale used for the melodies. Funny thing is the neapolitan minor sounds more 'arabic' than the arabic scale (to people who are used to western music) :P

When I started making this music I never even heard of the term nitzhogoa (if it allready existed back then). I just like nitzhonot influences because it gives the music a certain kind op playfullness and makes it less serious than a lot of other goatrance. This makes it especially good for parties imo as the euphoric melodies have a lot more energy and just make you feel happy :) And indeed most of my nitzhogoa and euphoric tracks aren't meant to be very serious but are just meant to be fun. I also have a few more serious works :)

I do like the serious and more psychedelic goatrance a lot as well but it's much better for listening with headphones and dreaming away.

Some people may think nitzhonot and uplifting is childish. I don't care. When I was a kid (8-11 years old) I just loved dance, trance, hardcore,... all electronic genres which had euphoric, emotional and/or in your face melodies. So I love using those elements as it gives me a great nostalgic feeling too :)

And indeed Elias (agneton) was a great influence on me to start making this style of music ;)

People label their music with this term, as if it were something positive; or at least as if they have no idea what nitzhonot is to begin with. Nitzhonot is a joke, or music for children at best.

Well sorry for ruining your elitary vision of psychedelic music then, dude. Go make a fuzz about starving children in Africa or something else that really matters. This is just music. Fun. Joy. And just fyi, we do know what Nitzhonot is. I frikking collected literally all CD's in this genre, talked to a lot of major artists in this genre, organized/ played on succesful parties with Persistent Aura, Cyan, Shidapu, Goalien, Räma, Mihabra, Asinar...soon also Trivia, Iceman and others. I played in Athens, checked out DATs from Verros, Suki, Injector, pre-2002 tracker files from artists, own video footage,...what else do you want?

Anyway, thanks to Imba and Persistent Aura for making this awesome release possible :)...

For christ's sake, another USELESS comment about music.. That is your taste, and you're entitled to it. But why do people always think there opinion is the one that's right?? Very ignorant if you ask me.. And another thing: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD EVOLUTION IN MUSIC (or anything else related to art)

Nitzhogoa was a term that myself and everybody which i worked with on Sita decided to come up with and it's even a term that Cosmogenesis from Metapsychic came up once between him and me while he shown me some of the more nitzhonot-goa influenced old tracks , so i think he should take the credit for it , we just done the rest.

Why? Because it's something we do , mostly Agneton started it with his first album , despite being heavily influenced by Nitzhonot , it's not 100% Nitzhonot , it has elements from both Nitzho and Goa . It's an interesting combination which of course led to this kind of music which we see here.

I don't find it disapointing , there are good and bad tracks like anything else but why should the term be blamed for it?

This is music , it's fun and that's how music is supposed to be.

Nitzhogoa an improvement? I wouldn't say so . It's just something we all accomplished togheter with influences from each others .

Kudos to Imba & PA for this EP.

PS - Trance Plant = Bomb.

• 3 weeks later...