4 Tsinat / Artifakt

5 Versus / Artifakt and Poizon

6 Coda / Artifakt

7 Lost / Poizon

8 Outside the box / Poizon

9 Disco / Poizon

10 The beast / Poizon

"It's time to think outside the box."

There are albums that you can listen to once and you get the feel immediately. You understand what it's all about and further listens may only bore you. Then there are albums where you can listen to numerous times and still not catch all the subtleties and nuances. In the scene we love (or tolerate, depending on your point of view) we are inundated with generic unimaginative drivel that you have to wade through to get to the goods. That is not the case with this release. Before I review this album though, let's get you up to speed.

Artifakt is Matthew De Nobrega,the head of the South African label Timecode Records that brings it each and every time the release something. Hyper, crazy intense psytrance that suits me just fine. I've liked his music, but sometimes it was too random and crazy for me to digest on a regular basis. Poizon is Adelino Afonso and Mário Rodrigues and have been around since 2002. Really? So says their MySpace page. Anyway, the two team up to bring an album where they showcase their respective talents.

First of all let me say that I wish this would have been promoted better. It seemed like all of the energy was put forth in promoting the less than spectacular Principles of Flight endeavors instead of giving this gem the attention it deserves. If you are a fan of Timecode's music, then you know what Artifakt is all about. Well I am here to tell you that this is some of his best work IMO. It's hi-tech, it's random and cinematic. Sometimes abrasive, but also melodic. Remember how you felt when you first heard Talpa's The Art of Being Non? Blown away right? This is right up there. Heavy beats with ominous atmosphere and well placed samples. It makes you want to dance and is also great for home listening. One of the strengths here is the departure from the usual four on the floor madness. Sure you have 4/4 time, but you also have a heavily techno inspired listening experience.

Right out of the gate His Name is Adrian sets the tone with symphonic breaks and dark techno rhythms. With a seamless transition, Tanist arrives with its crystal clear sound and wailing leads. The crown jewel has to be the title track that showcases not only the techno side but also the melodic dark chaos that the label is known for. So how are the Poizon solo efforts? More geared toward the darker aspects of psy. Not as melodic, but groovy as hell with a horror movie focus. Definitely effect heavy with great atmosphere. His best for me was Disco with its thumping beat and frenzied attack.

I wasn't planning on writing such a complimentary review, but when I continued to listen to this it was unavoidable. This is an outstanding release that unfortunately has flown under most peoples radar. Great sound and constantly evolving surprises at every turn. When you need a break from the hum drum monotony that we are sometimes subjected to, then this shoe fits nicely. Great job! :D

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Goastore

Mdk

The first track is crazy man, totally awesome, t's also a unique cuz the rest is somehow minimalistic but still melodic (i 'll never know how he did that)

• 6 years later...

This has really held up well.  It's a little somethin' to break the monotony Of all that hardcore dance that has gotten to be A little bit out of control.

NMhoyO8.gif

I heard he no longer produces music.  Shame.

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2010 at 8:38 PM, MAM015 said:

The first track is crazy man, totally awesome, t's also a unique cuz the rest is somehow minimalistic but still melodic (i 'll never know how he did that)

True, the first track is really great, sounds like nothing I have heard before. Artifakt really has a special talent.