The Official Psynews Welcome(d) Topic

Penzoline

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi ! I'm new to the forum. I already have a few posts, but until right now, I couldn't locate the welcome topic.

Just a few words about why I'm here. I came in touch with trance and electronic music in 2009/2010. I began to be fond of trance in 2011/2012. I explored then almost of the subgenres of trance (including psy). But finally, in 2013, I realized I was in love with Goa, and since that time I just can't get bored of it. That's my favorite music, and I'm almost married to the genre.

I'm pretty much a Newschool fan. I especially love sunny, melodic trance with loud bass and an ambient background.

I have no particular favorite projects or songs, but I have a crush on most newcomers : JIS, CoaGoa, Artifact303, Crossing Mind, Eleusyn, etc.

I don't really like nitzho trance, and I consider Khetzal's Corolle to be (for myself) the best Goa album.

I also like psy progressive that has melodies (morning prog, ambient prog, or songs with goa riffs), as well as psybient, and other non-psychedelic forms of trance that sounds "cheesy" (techno dream trance, nightcore, J-Trance, and in rare cases, uplifting).

But I can't stand mainstream trance, even in psy (Neelix, Skazi). I can't stand full-on too. I also am confused by darkpsy. I only trust Electrypnose in this area.

I came here because Psynews always improves my passion and knowledge for trance and ambient music. There are many interesting topics, and I wanted to follow them closer, and participate sometimes. And I hope to stay the longest time as possible.

Thank you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Woopsie, I've made a couple of posts already and didn't notice the Introductions thread! Anyway, hello everybody :D I've actually been lurking around these parts for a long time and only registered an account pretty recently thinking that it may finally be the time to talk to other like-minded people (the "Trance-music and your friends" thread also inspired me to do so).

I've been into goa (of the old-school type, more specifically) for quite some years now, although I like some newer artists as well, such as E-Mantra.

Anyways, glad to have started posting here!

Take care :)

• Like 2

Hull0 Psynewsaliens! I am from Melbourne, Australia! konichiwa! Anyway I've been involved in various musical endeavors over the last 2-3 decades but have always had a soft spot for psychedelic & Goa electronica. Pleasant to listen to but never been keen on producing it. My early anarchist punk years call for me to produce acid techno & dark drum n bass as well as minimal DnB like Metalheadz early style.

Enough! I have lots of CDs, some digital downloads & I dj in my basement when bored. I stay at home looking after my 2 year old son, cook, clean & do the washing. I also study a Diploma of Audio Engineering one subject a trimester. Very slow. But more out of interest than anything.

I am a generally nice person but with a quite bad anxiety problem can be hard to be friends with in real life let alone married to but I'm getting professional help unless our government continues to completely screw up our health care system.

This place is pleasant and whilst like most forums lacks in heavy activity, there's enough to keep it interesting except I do find that Radio604 lad tiresome at moments.

May eternal joy, peace and happiness be with you always and don't forget it's the journey not the destination that counts.

Oh and have a good time all the time!

Peace out!

• 10 months later...

Hey guys!

I'm a Belgian goa-trance lover and collector. Being to goa parties nog for 3-4 years, listening to the music every day! My love is melodic goa-trance and I can dig some forest too. Not much more to say I guess, unless you have questions?

I found this forum thanks to some posts on facebook... looks like a cool place!

Hello bru. Welcome and have fun.

And yes this forum is nice. Interesting posts, nice gifs, strange people, good music, parties agenda : everything you need.

And this how another man joined the Goa army.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Seems like ppl find this topic a bit late after making some posts already and so did I. But this is a nice thread so I thought I wanna contribute.

I am a rarity here, lol: a woman. Let it not bother you misters. Even though I first felt like being a fly on the roof in a mister club, I do not feel that way anymore and for the most part it was a feeling prior joining that kept me from joining earlier. Another thing (more obvious) that kept me from joining was that I am bad in all technical talk, including analyzing tracks. But then I decided that maybe I can bring some different perspective, based on feelings and emotions, and at the end that music is all about, isn't it?

My history of electronic music dates back to the end of 1990's. I used to listen to normal trance: DJ Orkidea of Finland and especially his awesome track Unity were my inspiration in those times. Also want to mention another Finnish producer Slusnik Luna with the track Sun which is techtrance. Also techno, especially Detroit type, was a big deal to me: I still love and listen to some classics like Luke Slater-Love. House music was and is neat and from time to time I give it a listen nowadays, especially when it gets close: do you know Lektro Spectral Daze's side project and Lunar Dawn's side project that are house acts? If you don't, go find out because these beloved goa producers make wonderful house music. I am thinking of posting some info of those side projects here on off-topic forum when I have time.

Then let's get to the point so let's goaaaaahhh..

First I found Shpongle. That was 2005. Well, that's a genre crossover but psychedelic trance and goa itself I found in 2007 when a big open air party, the legendary Finnish Konemetsä R.I.P ("machine forest" as translated) was arranged close to me. Years went by..I had a few friends who were into genre, but that's was about it: I was not "in the scene" until a big thing happened July 2014: I joined Facebook and got connected with the Balkan goa scene because of my personal history in that area. And, everybody knows Richpa as an awesome guy, but I owe him big thanks for all he has done for me to get connected with the music and like-minded ppl. And for even introducing me some metal bands I wasn't familiar with. Yeah, I am a metalhead: goa/metal 50%/50%. I'd rather say, though, 100%/100% because I have lots of energy for the music I love ;)

I like all well produced psy and goa, mainly I listen to newschool goa. But oldschool touch is often great. I am also into nitzho, a lot. Psychill goes, too. But I seldom listen to downtempo, though. I like it fast. Morning goa is a bit weird thing in my listening palette: I love it when I hear good stuff, e.g. new Aurora Sidera by Suntrip has it, but with this subgenre tracks I get bored very fast. So perseverance is the word. We have lots of input of new music living present times, but actually quite a few tracks get the status from me that they stay. If they do, I show it, mainly posting thanks and maybe some comments on the producer's official fb page if there is such a page.

If and when this is an introduction I cannot leave this out: I am occupied with Children Of Bodom Hate Crew (fan club). COB is a death metal band from Finland. There's been some psy/goa producers and even labels giving me thanks for the promo work I am doing nowadays (mainly in fb), but all I can say is that what comes to fanship and spreading the love, I was trained in the best possible school: Children of Bodom Hate Crew High School :D WE know how to support!

I will not mind if I get fb friend requests from the members of psynews, so here's my link https://www.facebook.com/AnuRaskuand Soundcloud is https://soundcloud.com/anu-katariina-rasku

And because I really love this classic normal trance track from my countrymate DJ Orkidea released 1999, I thought I'd share it. The only opportinity to post it on psynews is now and here ;)

Nice to meet you all!

• Like 1

@ Manuser: Thanks for welcoming me and at the same time you got me really confused: who sampled and what? I was all innocent knowing anything of this until I saw your post: first I thought if it is a remix I don't know and was puzzled because the written name did not sound like rmix. This is why I like psynews: here if where one gets info. We cannot go on this discussion here because this is normal trance in question, but thanks to you and I am linking this http://www.whosampled.com/sample/18139/Orkidea-Unity-Dead-Can-Dance-Host-of-Seraphim/

What comes to Orkidea I am like mad and wtf? @Penzoline and @PaulEye: you as Finns know anything bout? + Is there a thread suitable for possible further discussion?

What do these trance fucktards think?? It is everywhere! Did they all steal from Dead Can Dance? Tell me someone who knows..

rotwang posted the original (at least in edm). apparently the original original (;)) is indeed from dead can dance.

here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peE0NvF1SS0&list=PLwYcncl_0_6w2e9qyqGyBVxShtQMQ6pAZ&index=8

btw, if you haven't noticed already, we have a normal trance thread in the other electronica section.

• Like 1

What do these trance fucktards think?? It is everywhere! Did they all steal from Dead Can Dance? Tell me someone who knows..

Yes they all sampled the original track composed in 1988 (Dead can dance - The host of seraphim).

By the way the forum tranceaddict.com was very active when I was posting there during years 2002-2005, I could get a lot of recommendations.

• Like 1

A clear thing is that I cannot tolerate artists who take others' work and put it in their own name; I am hardcore about it since it steps on the toes of creativity and respect. Bye bye, DJ Orkidea: I believed in you and you deceived our Finnish trance legacy. And your CD's are now a burden in my collection.

• Like 1

Last time I was angry about this is when I bumped into Deadmau5 - Clockwork

It is a remix of The orange theme (Cygnus X)

The orange theme has been remixed 50 times or so, and Deadmau5 remix it but change the name? Lame.

(Well The orange theme was also a remix of a classical song (or the music of the movie) but at least there was some great change in it)

About the Orkidea track, I can see credit is given to Dead can dance on Discogs.

This is a very common thing for trance artists to sample well known songs...

I'd say about 95% of vocals, chants and voice samples in this genre come from sample CDs, movies, TV, other tracks and whatnot. The producers just don't have the training, proper studios and talented Indian vocalists at their disposal. More likely they're just hammering a PC alone in some basement in Brixton. The extent of clearing and crediting the samples varies.

People have become disillusioned by learning about the sources of Daft Punk hits too...

(We can have another topic for this. The database shouldn't be that full yet.)

• Like 1

Last time I was angry about this is when I bumped into Deadmau5 - Clockwork

It is a remix of The orange theme (Cygnus X)

The orange theme has been remixed 50 times or so, and Deadmau5 remix it but change the name? Lame.

(Well The orange theme was also a remix of a classical song (or the music of the movie) but at least there was some great change in it)

not only this, but it's also incredibly dull compared to the original. it's just the main melody + kickdrum.

About the Orkidea track, I can see credit is given to Dead can dance on Discogs.

Thanks for pointing this out...but not sufficient enough for me; it is mentioned in notes of the original 12'', not in credits, and further distribution by Solaris Recordings doesn't mention a word, neither does Taika album notes or credits on Discogs (first appearance of Unity on an album). Dammit I wanna see Taika album's CD sheet; that counts to me much; the CD is in my daddy's place, haha; using old man's house as a storage nowadays. But it is better than nothing, that note on Discogs. Yet I am angry for a couple of reasons: the sample is not a part of Unity but Unity is the sample and for that Orkidea is our beloved "flawless" trance veteran with a lot of fame here and abroad (not only in music scene but employers even became interested in him and he worked as a sound design manager in Nokia mobile telephones) and it all started because of Unity.

@ Dolmot This should be a topic of its own, yes. Anybody noticed what I wrote recently in labels news and artist announcements of new LSD album? And haha, that basement in Brixton :lol: