"V/A - Galactic Synthetic"

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Galactic Synthetic

Label: Ektoplasm

Date: August, 2010

01 - Guinea Pigs - Have A Nice Flight (Wizack Twizack Remix) (150 BPM)

02 - Wizack Twizack - Expanding (145 BPM)

03 - Guinea Pigs - Damage Check (Tsabeat Remix) (149 BPM)

04 - Tsabeat & Wizack Twizack - Kipodim (148 BPM)

05 - Progress - TransNRoll (148 BPM)

06 - Guinea Pigs & Tsabeat - Cant Find A Name (150 BPM)

07 - Wizack Twizack - Tingel Tangel TDC (Progress Remix) (148 BPM)

08 - Tsabeat - Like Summer Breeze (146 BPM)

Ektoplasm is a netlabel run by DJ Basilisk and is the shining example of what this psy community of ours needs. HisWebsite is a treasure trove of information including lists, profiles of acts, not to mention a tremendous archive of free music. Let's face it, the internet is a big place and you can get free music anywhere, but I challenge you to find the quality and diversity that you will discover here. This release aims to bridge the sometimes huge chasm between darkpsy and full-on. The cover is a beautiful representation of the cockpit of a spacecraft with a view of 2 impossibly close planets. A cockpit of an electronic musician.

The first track is a Wizack Twizack remix of the Guinea Pig's "Have a Nice Flight." I have never heard the original, but I enjoyed this very much. Especially the sample where the pilot talks about what guns the crew is carrying lest you think it's a good idea to start trouble. There is a lotof sounds in this high energy romp and I had it on repeat for awhile.

Tommy Axelsson from Sweden is at it again with "Expanding ." His music has been straddling the darkpsy/nighttime psytrance line since day one and continues to do so. If you think of a great track as like a story this one has so many chapters a replay is almost required. Melodies shift, breaks change focus, man this track is all over the place. Delicious.

Elad Weinberg (Tsabeat) remixes another Guinea Pigs track which is less melodic than the previous 2. The break near the end is creative, but I didn't think this was that spectacular.

Wizack Vs. Tsabeat. 2 men enter, one man leave! Actually both got to leave, but the listener is the clear winner here. Melodies swirl around each other like a DNA helix with seamless ease. Dark atmosphere with smooth melodies. Oh yeah, this is a keeper.

Based out of NYC Progress is Yuriy Vaskevich and if you read his Discogs page he dabbles in a little bit of everything. Here he squeezes a lead for all it's worth. Strangled might be a better word. I like his type of sonic manipulation, even if the track is limited in its direction.

"Can't Find a Name" seemed more full-on than dark without much direction. Still any track that has a Fast Times at Ridgemont High sample gets the nod in my book.

Mr. Vaskevich gives Tommy's track the remix business and it has an eerie forest like feel. Weird sounds going up and down all above a thumping beat. I like how the sounds combine with each other. Good track.

Tsabeat closes it out with a darkpsy bassline rumbling below a brief afternoon sun. Not much melody here, but it is a driving track. The bass quivers like it's afraid of something. Cool effect. I liked it, but thought it could use a little more punch.

So there you have it. A pretty good compilation that has its gems and its filler. I think if there is to be an ambassador in charge of "bridging the gap" between darkpsy and full-on it would most assuredly be Wizack Twizack. His tracks are consistently the most creative with a lot of twists and turns. I recommend this for his stuff alone, but need I remind you that this is free. Nothing to lose.

Ektoplasm Free Release!

Mdk