Give me your darkest darkpsy

ziptnf

Blimey I just realized that THE best dark psy tune I've ever come across isn't even featured on youtube! Problem fixed ;) Anyway, THIS is how dark psy SHOULD sound IMO: brutal in-your-face basslines with scary wind noises that sound like a giant monster is right behind you breathing on your neck and the little noises that make you feel like an army of spiders are just creeping up your legs ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-OYc86j_QI

PS can anyone recommend me more like this?

Double standards + patronizing attitudes

Darkpsy as originally intended came about as a result of artists like Sandman , Cydonia who put together a sound that was eerie, heavier & spookier than whatever was was being being released back then. Fear of the red planet is one of darkest trance albums along with witchcraft because of the foreboding & mysterious atmosphere they create. Nothing for me comes close to beating them in terms of pure darkness.

Sadly the new breed of artists for whom speed has become a substitute for spinning the dark atmospheres have ruined the darkpsy genre for the rest of the fans who now have to hear such criticisms from people that probably never really enjoyed dark music and now find it convenient to bash the subgenre. There is some degree of truth to the fact that most of what parades around as darkpsy isn't really dark according to the objective purist view of dark but to feel that the delta is darkest darkpsy out there is a bit delusional tbh.

hmm no... I also happen to have been in the scene for many many years and seen the "dark sound" develop. As far as I can tell, the first dark psy (I mean, for what is called today the dark psy subgenre) artists to come to the scene were Parasense. Of course, you can find many other artists who were also dark and who have obviously inspired the sound (The Delta, Battle of the Future Buddhas... hell, I even remember the days when the darkest thing to hit the scene was Hallucinogen's The Lone Deranger ;) ). Anyway, there are all dark... but NOT dark psy ;)

Guest nectarios

I think you should learn how to write first :D

But why did you even bother to write it if it "all comes down to taste"? :huh: And by that I could say Britney Spears or Elvis is "psychedelic", but would make it so?

Cause this is a thread about dark psy and people's tastes, differ, hence you get to read different views. I wanted to post what I think is darkpsy. Simple as that.

Take enough elcid and anything sounds psychedelic, including Elvis, or Britney although I wish for no person to be subjected to that sound when trippin' their balls off.

Peace out.

Conclusion: Defining (sub)genres is like pissing up a rope.

Guest nectarios

Conclusion: Defining (sub)genres is like pissing up a rope.

It was a lot easier when people used to define a sound, by simply dropping a label name. It was all psy-trance back then, but people knew what kind of psy-trance the person was talking about when they said Dragonfly, Twisted, Flying Rhino, Blue Room...etc

Even today, people know what one means when they say Solstice, Nano, Iboga, Iono, Hommega, 3D Vision, Alchemy, Parvati, Suntrip, Discovalley...etc

I mean for the darpsy pigeoholers, you can even identify between darkspy styles, by saying this sounds like Paravati style, or this sounds like Discovalley style...etc.

Its a lot more coherent and precise imo, + we get rid of th silly genre names, innit.

Peace out.

It was a lot easier when people used to define a sound, by simply dropping a label name. It was all psy-trance back then, but people knew what kind of psy-trance the person was talking about when they said Dragonfly, Twisted, Flying Rhino, Blue Room...etc

Even today, people know what one means when they say Solstice, Nano, Iboga, Iono, Hommega, 3D Vision, Alchemy, Parvati, Suntrip, Discovalley...etc

I mean for the darpsy pigeoholers, you can even identify between darkspy styles, by saying this sounds like Paravati style, or this sounds like Discovalley style...etc.

Its a lot more coherent and precise imo, + we get rid of th silly genre names, innit.

Peace out.

Are you a visionary cause that's gonna be the next best thing if you ask me :lol:

Peace out.

Genre names are important when we talk about a musical genre as diverse as psytrance.

What did you expect, to call everything just psytrance?

And identify by labels can't be done. Labels change their sound all the time. 3D Visios has gone from Goa, to dark, to full on, to twilight. Except if you find easier to ask about 98 period 3D Vision or 2004 period Parvati style recommendations.

You guys have genrephobia. Seriously. I don't want 100 different subgenres, but 5-6 different ones (the ones we already have) are necessary...to talk about it in a forum like this.

BTW Suomi and Twilight are not darkpsy.

You guys have genrephobia. Seriously.

I don't want 100 different subgenres, but 5-6 different ones (the ones we already have) are necessary...to talk about it in a forum like this.

Went to the doctor and he said there's nothing much he could do about it :P

Genre names are important when we talk about a musical genre as diverse as psytrance.

And identify by labels can't be done. Labels change their sound all the time. 3D Visios has gone from Goa, to dark, to full on, to twilight. Except if you find easier to ask about 98 period 3D Vision or 2004 period Parvati style recommendations.

You guys have genrephobia. Seriously. I don't want 100 different subgenres, but 5-6 different ones (the ones we already have) are necessary...to talk about it in a forum like this.

+10 million

I don't understand what the hate is all about, the purpose of certain subgenres are necessary when there are practically thousands of psytrance producers. Even stuff like suomi and twilight/night full-on. It doesn't sound anything like the rest of the subgenres. That's why the genre-tagging exists, so that a somewhat fuzzy divide is put in place to make the spectrum of psytrance more varied and detailed. It would be completely ridiculous to group suomi and darkpsy in the same category, it's just not even logical.

Peace out.

oh come on, if there is a subgenre that's easily recognizable in today's scene it is dark psy: really fast rolling bassline with hard schreechy sounds and the occasional dark atmosphere. If you can't tell dark psy from other psy subgenres then you have a REAL problem mate :)

damn, have I lost that much contact with the scene that I don't even new of new subgenres? What exactly is the definition of "twilight"? Can you give me some examples? thanks :)

Guest nectarios

Except if you find easier to ask about 98 period 3D Vision or 2004 period Parvati style recommendations.

I do find it a lot easier and more precise...but for argument's sake, don't you? I mean granted that there is the darkpsy genre, and then there are so many people doing anything from atmospheric stuff at 146 (Atriohm, Derango...etc) to 170(+?) like Furious, Cosmo...etc. You think its impossible to identify by labels, yet you would simply use the same word to describe both these styles? out of curiocity to understand the way you guys think.

What are the official 5-6 subgenre names of psy-trance then?

What are the official 5-6 subgenre names of psy-trance then?

For me (and for the most people) I know they are

Goa

Full On

Progressive

Darkpsy

Suomi

Experimental

Twilight

With these subgenres and all the possible crossovers between them you can identify the majority of todays psytrance IMO.

Some people may argue that Forest should be a sperate category since it does have a specific sound. Some others believe that Suomi may be included in the experimental genre etc. But IMO these names can describe 90% of psytrance today. Of course there is the other 10% that is plain psytrance.

Now I just wanna say some things, just to clarify that I don't see a reason to 'fight'.

IMO the whole argument started from the question 'how something that is both dark and psy is not darkpsy?'

That is a very good question. But for some strange reasons specific names stick for specific styles. I don't know who first establish the term darkpsy and not psynight for example, but we have stuck with that.

The same way we stuck with full on.

To make more clear what I mean: AP-People Can Fly is for me one of the most full on tracks ever made. Full On as poweful, energetic. Yet if someone ask for full on tracks and I recommend him People Can Fly he would think I'm crazy.

Full On means this, Prog means that, darkpsy means the other one. This is how thnigs work. In all music genres.

No need to reinvent the names. We can't do that. It's like chaning history.

@Lemmi

Twilight is the term that desribes the South African and similar styles full on style. For years we called it full on too, but since the difference between them is so big that a different term was needed.

Guest nectarios

To make more clear what I mean: AP-People Can Fly is for me one of the most full on tracks ever made. Full On as poweful, energetic. Yet if someone ask for full on tracks and I recommend him People Can Fly he would think I'm crazy.

Full On means this, Prog means that, darkpsy means the other one. This is how thnigs work. In all music genres.

No need to reinvent the names. We can't do that. It's like chaning history.

And you don't find this silly? What you posted is exactly what I mean when I say that the genres you mantioned, are making a mess of things adn fall short of the music's actual desription. Its like paradox logic, it is but you can't call it that.

Its fair enough when you say "IMO", same way in my own opinion, full on, darkpsy, suomi, twilight (is that full on at night...sort of new 3D Vision sound? Absolum, Lost & Found...etc?), and some people even came up witha genre "hi-tech"...they are not part of psy-trance.

For me and for the people I know (and most of them don't read forums), there are three kinds of sub genres, Goa (it came first, but for some reason, it falls underneath the psy-trance umbrella and not vise versa) psy-trance and prog (obviously Chill out as well, but I am talking about dancefloor/party music).

For example, some Atriohm tunes are psy-trance, whereas no Cosmo tune is psy-trance.

Sensient's new LP is prog, but Protoculture's isn't...talking about progressive psy-trance obviously.

Simple as that.

Then for defining a style, we (as in me and the people I know), bring up a label name.

I'm done arguing as well, just thinking straight and calling a spade, spade.

And you don't find this silly? What you posted is exactly what I mean when I say that the genres you mantioned, are making a mess of things adn fall short of the music's actual desription. Its like paradox logic, it is but you can't call it that.

Its fair enough when you say "IMO", same way in my own opinion, full on, darkpsy, suomi, twilight (is that full on at night...sort of new 3D Vision sound? Absolum, Lost & Found...etc?), and some people even came up witha genre "hi-tech"...they are not part of psy-trance.

For me and for the people I know (and most of them don't read forums), there are three kinds of sub genres, Goa (it came first, but for some reason, it falls underneath the psy-trance umbrella and not vise versa) psy-trance and prog (obviously Chill out as well, but I am talking about dancefloor/party music).

For example, some Atriohm tunes are psy-trance, whereas no Cosmo tune is psy-trance.

Sensient's new LP is prog, but Protoculture's isn't...talking about progressive psy-trance obviously.

Simple as that.

Then for defining a style, we (as in me and the people I know), bring up a label name.

I'm done arguing as well, just thinking straight and calling a spade, spade.

It maybe silly.

I also find silly that progressive is called like that when I don't hear any progress in it.

I also find silly that most of regular trance tracks have nothing trancey-ecstatic at all.

I also find silly that hardcore ain't that hard except for the kick.

I also find silly that new classical music ain't that old to be considered as classical.

You get my point. That's how it works and I don't think anyone can change that.

Your three categories of our music is great, but psytrance is so diverse that even if we'd tried not to come with subgenre names eventually the names would come up themselves.

Anyway no need to argue anymore. Although I don't understand why Cosmo ain't psytrance? :unsure:

:)

Guest nectarios

It maybe silly.

I also find silly that progressive is called like that when I don't hear any progress in it.

I also find silly that most of regular trance tracks have nothing trancey-ecstatic at all.

I also find silly that hardcore ain't that hard except for the kick.

I also find silly that new classical music ain't that old to be considered as classical.

You get my point. That's how it works and I don't think anyone can change that.

Your three categories of our music is great, but psytrance is so diverse that even if we'd tried not to come with subgenre names eventually the names would come up themselves.

Anyway no need to argue anymore. Although I don't understand why Cosmo ain't psytrance? :unsure:

:)

I get your point and it is a valid one. But I am not convinced it works like this outside internet forums where some really sub-genre-anal people hang out. The reason I am not convinced is because of the not so sub-genre-anal people, that do not read forus and subsequently, don't read the stuff about all these subgenres, that the really sub-genre-anal people, post.

We can do (if we wish to obviously) things to change that....not that it is that big of a deal, but it would be nice to stop the segregation within a niche dance music subgenre. Unless some people enjoy stroking their chins till they bleed, and keep coming up with new sub-genres to place their favourite artists, and declare their "uniqueness", in forums.

Peace out.

C'mon guys what happened to give me your darkest darkspy. I wanna be terrorised like only the Taliban can on a good night. Darkspyterrorcore ftw . My speakers are ready to pop their cherry. Hell, I even wanna hear your darkest twilight, Suomi Salami I don't care as long as it makes me shiver. Wasn't that the actual thread BTW. Man this is gettin' silly.

twilight: Shift kills it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6B4O2DvSsE

dark/forest: Derango Lost Theory: bumb up the pitch and you get darkspy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEzuWcyvBI8

Don't give me no lip son!

umm.. what else can you do but pump the spam hehe

Me likes.

C'mon guys what happened to give me your darkest darkspy. I wanna be terrorised like only the Taliban can on a good night. Darkspyterrorcore ftw . My speakers are ready to pop their cherry. Hell, I even wanna hear your darkest twilight, Suomi Salami I don't care as long as it makes me shiver. Wasn't that the actual thread BTW. Man this is gettin' silly.

twilight: Shift kills it!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6B4O2DvSsE

Don't give me no lip son!

That's one of my all-time favorites. Excellent track.