Give me your darkest darkpsy

ziptnf

Darkpsy is the subgenre of psytrance that is generally 15 BPM faster, with common dark elements, all of which are posted in this thread. What you posted was dark trance, or dark psytrance at the very best. I said it was good, but it wasn't darkpsy, and there is no way that you can argue against that. Cry "genre police" all you want, but that's how it is explicitly classified. I wasn't trying to start shit, but you seemed visibly offended that I said your track wasn't darkpsy, even though I said it was super dark and I liked it.

Guest nectarios

Darkpsy is the subgenre of psytrance that is generally 15 BPM faster, with common dark elements, all of which are posted in this thread. What you posted was dark trance, or dark psytrance at the very best. I said it was good, but it wasn't darkpsy, and there is no way that you can argue against that. Cry "genre police" all you want, but that's how it is explicitly classified. I wasn't trying to start shit, but you seemed visibly offended that I said your track wasn't darkpsy, even though I said it was super dark and I liked it.

Easy there mate, you think too highly of your self. I couldn't care less what you think about the music I like, nor your pigeonholing, nor have I made it my mission, to educate ill informned people that discovered psy-trance from a Parasense track.

I just thought of posting one of my favourite tunes and an example of what I think is dark psy.

I've been around long enough to know the bollocks behind stupid genre calling, genre wars and all that shit.

Peace out.

Easy there mate, you think too highly of your self. I couldn't care less what you think about the music I like, nor your pigeonholing, nor have I made it my mission, to educate ill informned people that discovered psy-trance from a Parasense track.

I just thought of posting one of my favourite tunes and an example of what I think is dark psy.

I've been around long enough to know the bollocks behind stupid genre calling, genre wars and all that shit.

Peace out.

Yeah right, you can't possibly know me well enough to think that I have a big ego. You waltzed into my thread and started complaining about what the definition of darkpsy is. You have two people telling you you're wrong, and you think we are trying to pigeonhole you? Also, I don't really understand your comment about the Parasense track, so I will just disregard it. I had no intention to start a genre war, I simply stated that it wasn't darkpsy and Ormion corrected you as well. You don't have to preach to us, trust me.

Edit: Also, I already said I liked the track, what's with the anger?

Any comment on the new tracks posted here, ziptnf? So that we might know what you're looking for...

I have listened to some of the recent ones, but I am not near a pair of headphones for further review. As soon as I get some free time I'll comment more on the tracks. As far as I remembered, I really liked the Far East Ghost track the most of the ones you posted.

Guest nectarios

Yeah right, you can't possibly know me well enough to think that I have a big ego. You waltzed into my thread and started complaining about what the definition of darkpsy is. You have two people telling you you're wrong, and you think we are trying to pigeonhole you? Also, I don't really understand your comment about the Parasense track, so I will just disregard it. I had no intention to start a genre war, I simply stated that it wasn't darkpsy and Ormion corrected you as well. You don't have to preach to us, trust me.

Edit: Also, I already said I liked the track, what's with the anger?

No I don't know you well enough and I am not complaining about the definition of dark psy, I already said its not my mission to inform, you, ormion or who ever wants to think, otherwise. Two people, or two thousand, could be telling me I am "wrong", it does not matter. My argument is that there was darkpsy, way before the gabba tempos and walls of noise/glitch and I mentioned Parasense, a russian act that had a lot to do with creating the whole "movement", in the late 90's, early 2000...even though there was darkpsy in the mid '90s, in the form of Ayahuasca, Slinky Wizard, GNOTR, Prana, Hallucinogen...etc and yes it did sound like Goa, but with a really good dark vibe, and people did reffer to it a dark psychedelic trance, so your attempt to "correct" me as you said, was rather unnecessary. I have been going to parties and buying psy-trance records from 1994, and and I have experienced the events, first hand, through out the years. Its not preaching either, its posting in a thread, I just don't agree with some posts and explained the reason's I don't, even though its "your" thread. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, mate.

And I am not angry.

Peace out.

I beg to differ. The vast majority (I've heard) of what people reffer to as "darkpsy" (meaning the fast, glitchy, dissonant and noisy stuff), is not dark at all, and defo not psychedelic.

Anyhow it comes down to taste, and we don't need another "darkpsy is not dark" thread... so I'll just leave it at that.

Peace out.

It's great that you are the one telling everybody what is psychedelic and what is not :rolleyes:

Guest nectarios

It's great that you are the one telling everybody what is psychedelic and what is not :rolleyes:

Its not so great that you can't read, tho.

Which part of "it all comes down to taste" did you not understand?

If dark psy is not dark ,why the term "dark"psy then?

anyway , traskel is one producer whose work i always thought was dark, scary and disturbing. cant remember the name of the track right now (tried searching on isratrance , their search function sucks). you could check out pick up procedure for starters.

If dark psy is not dark ,why the term "dark"psy then?

Double standards if you ask me.

If a darkpsy track is not superdark-haunting-scary-I shitted my pants then is not dark.

But if a Goa, prog or Full On track has a sliiightly darker bass then all of sudden is dark.

I can't understand how some people don't consider darkpsy as dark. It has monotonous bass, no melodies, dark pads. It ''fits'' in darkness. It's much easier to appreciate a darkpsy track at night times than listening to 160 bpm noisy madness at sunshine.

Many people use the term dark in two completelly different ways.

1-Dark as scary, haunting darkness

2-Dark as more night oriented sound

These people judge darkpsy using the first way, but judge other subgenres using the second one.

That's what I mean as double standards.

I've heard many prog/full on tracks that supposed to be dark, because they have some dark sounds all over and yes it is dark if you compare it with the majority of prog/full on.

But IMO is no way darker than 90% of darkpsy out there.

I believe that is a matter of taste. Some people dislike darkpsy (and I respect that), so they use the 'darkpsy ain't dark' phrase. Cheap shot if you ask me.

BTW I agree that not all darkpsy artists are dark. Furious, Kashyyyk, Cosmo and co. are more fx madness than darkpsy. But they obviously have more in common with the traditional darkpsy sound than other subgenres, so calling them darkpsy ain't such a big deal.

Just my 2 cents.

Double standards + patronizing attitudes

Darkpsy as originally intended came about as a result of artists like Sandman , Cydonia who put together a sound that was eerie, heavier & spookier than whatever was was being being released back then. Fear of the red planet is one of darkest trance albums along with witchcraft because of the foreboding & mysterious atmosphere they create. Nothing for me comes close to beating them in terms of pure darkness.

Sadly the new breed of artists for whom speed has become a substitute for spinning the dark atmospheres have ruined the darkpsy genre for the rest of the fans who now have to hear such criticisms from people that probably never really enjoyed dark music and now find it convenient to bash the subgenre. There is some degree of truth to the fact that most of what parades around as darkpsy isn't really dark according to the objective purist view of dark but to feel that the delta is darkest darkpsy out there is a bit delusional tbh.

No I don't know you well enough and I am not complaining about the definition of dark psy, I already said its not my mission to inform, you, ormion or who ever wants to think, otherwise. Two people, or two thousand, could be telling me I am "wrong", it does not matter. My argument is that there was darkpsy, way before the gabba tempos and walls of noise/glitch and I mentioned Parasense, a russian act that had a lot to do with creating the whole "movement", in the late 90's, early 2000...even though there was darkpsy in the mid '90s, in the form of Ayahuasca, Slinky Wizard, GNOTR, Prana, Hallucinogen...etc and yes it did sound like Goa, but with a really good dark vibe, and people did reffer to it a dark psychedelic trance, so your attempt to "correct" me as you said, was rather unnecessary. I have been going to parties and buying psy-trance records from 1994, and and I have experienced the events, first hand, through out the years. Its not preaching either, its posting in a thread, I just don't agree with some posts and explained the reason's I don't, even though its "your" thread. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, mate.

And I am not angry.

Peace out.

Okay, so your argument is that dark goa was called darkpsy before today's definition of darkpsy existed. That's cool that you've been in the scene so long, but the subgenre has clearly been defined in the last 8-10 years in a stark contrast from your former experiences, which is why Ormion and I were trying to point out the differences between dark psytrance and darkpsy. Dark psytrance is what you posted in your first post in the thread, which does not follow the standards that darkpsy does, and I think you know the reason why they were different. I don't see what's so wrong with calling something dark psytrance instead of darkpsy, you're getting so worked up over an attempt at clarity on everyone's behalf. And yes, you're angry, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to call me out so many times.

Guest nectarios

Okay, so your argument is that dark goa was called darkpsy before today's definition of darkpsy existed. That's cool that you've been in the scene so long, but the subgenre has clearly been defined in the last 8-10 years in a stark contrast from your former experiences, which is why Ormion and I were trying to point out the differences between dark psytrance and darkpsy. Dark psytrance is what you posted in your first post in the thread, which does not follow the standards that darkpsy does, and I think you know the reason why they were different. I don't see what's so wrong with calling something dark psytrance instead of darkpsy, you're getting so worked up over an attempt at clarity on everyone's behalf. And yes, you're angry, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to call me out so many times.

Keep following the standards of darkpsy then.

And stop flattering your self, I am not calling you out...like I said I am not up for starting another why darkpsy is not dark thread, I don't like that kind of music, the one that falls under your standards of calling it like that anyway...I am not angry, if I was angry it would imply that I actually care about what you said, but, if it makes you feel better thinking that I am angry, be my guest!

Peace out.

Double standards + patronizing attitudes

Darkpsy as originally intended came about as a result of artists like Sandman , Cydonia who put together a sound that was eerie, heavier & spookier than whatever was was being being released back then. Fear of the red planet is one of darkest trance albums along with witchcraft because of the foreboding & mysterious atmosphere they create. Nothing for me comes close to beating them in terms of pure darkness.

Sadly the new breed of artists for whom speed has become a substitute for spinning the dark atmospheres have ruined the darkpsy genre for the rest of the fans who now have to hear such criticisms from people that probably never really enjoyed dark music and now find it convenient to bash the subgenre. There is some degree of truth to the fact that most of what parades around as darkpsy isn't really dark according to the objective purist view of dark but to feel that the delta is darkest darkpsy out there is a bit delusional tbh.

I'm glad you put an old dark classic to the discussion. That proves how many different approaches exist about what dark is and that some people can actually enjoy all of them.

I find Pleiadians-FOL dark. Dark as alien-ish, spacey, sci fi dark.

I find Silent Horror dark. Dark as scary, depressive, evil dark.

I enjoy both. And I don't see any reason to bash neither of them.

Do you know how million times I've heard that darkpsy ain't dark, Project Genesis is?

I mean how about both! For diefferent reasons.

Why some people must bash darkpsy cause it delivers a different approach to darkness from what they prefer?

Being far from an expert on the matter I still want to put in my 2 cents.

It happened several times when I was at a party where some Dj played dark/forest psytrance which made me dance like there was no tomorrow. Just mindblowing stuff.

On the other hand, there have been parties I attended where they played dark psytrance which was boring, it had no groove just random bleeps(for example E.V.P. live WTF).

It all comes down to what you like or not. I've bought myself DERANGOs' Tumult. That's the stuff I can really dig. It doesn't really matter what it's called wether it is dark/forest/terror??/psycore or whatnot. I like the trippy dark eerie synthpads, the occasional melody, something that's deeply psychedelic and groovy that manages to put a smile on my face while dancing.

It happened several times when I was at a party where some Dj played dark/forest psytrance which made me dance like there was no tomorrow. Just mindblowing stuff.

On the other hand, there have been parties I attended where they played dark psytrance which was boring, it had no groove just random bleeps(for example E.V.P. live WTF).

It all comes down to what you like or not. I've bought myself DERANGOs' Tumult. That's the stuff I can really dig. It doesn't really matter what it's called wether it is dark/forest/terror??/psycore or whatnot. I like the trippy dark eerie synthpads, the occasional melody, something that's deeply psychedelic and groovy that manages to put a smile on my face while dancing.

Yes, I agree that many (if most) darkpsy tracks are not good for dancing, at least for me.

Personally I don't listen to darkpsy for dancing, but for mindtripping.

I close me eyes and dive into the dark tunnel...

I close me eyes and dive into the dark tunnel...

I can do that while dancing, you know :D

Noooooooo I love E.V.P :(

Ah...taste...what a difficult thing that can be :)

Noooooooo I love E.V.P :(

Ah...taste...what a difficult thing that can be :)

I actually had high hopes for that one. I wasn't moved(literally). It was a bad party btw.

Maybe that had something to do with it.

I do like Archaic for some reason or another.

Its not so great that you can't read, tho.

Which part of "it all comes down to taste" did you not understand?

I think you should learn how to write first :D

But why did you even bother to write it if it "all comes down to taste"? :huh: And by that I could say Britney Spears or Elvis is "psychedelic", but would make it so?