younger brother new album "vaccine"

technosomy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pledged and listened to my download yesterday. Some good moments and sure, they're free to make whatever music they wish, but why call it Younger Brother??? It was an entirely new project and should have been called something else. Nothing but a letdown for fans imo.

Didn't like it much on a first listen, but I'm not much of a pop music kind of guy. Still, I'm going to give it a chance. I wasn't sure of the last album when it came out but I grew to really love it. Sometimes when an artist does something risky you need to let it settle for a while before coming to any strong conclusions.

I pledged and listened to my download yesterday. Some good moments and sure, they're free to make whatever music they wish, but why call it Younger Brother??? It was an entire new project and should have been called something else. Nothing but a letdown for fans imo.

I like the album quite a bit. I listen to quite an eclectic set of music so I have no problem with Si branching out, and Ruu's lyrics are actually really nice. However, I completely agree with you on this. It's not even remotely the same project, and should not have the same name.

I like the album quite a bit. I listen to quite an eclectic set of music so I have no problem with Si branching out, and Ruu's lyrics are actually really nice. However, I completely agree with you on this. It's not even remotely the same project, and should not have the same name.

It should have been called Vocal Brother :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere else on the forum....but thought I'd share it here :)

From Psyreviews

Posted Image

Coldplay return with their most phantastic and ambitious album yet. The British band have gained an increasingly largeish reputation on the international stage in recent months, and with this release they complete their metamorphosis into exactly the sort of thing your Dad might listen to when picking you up from school were you still fifteen.

Vocalist Chris Martin is much more prominent here than on their previous outingLast Days Of Gravity. There are vocal tricks and soarings reminscent of their early shot to fame Yellow (for some reason missing from the digital reissue of Coldplay's debut A Flock Of Bleeps.)

Martin displays a more out-there, almost psychedelic side with the noodly, Norfolk Spinning Into Place, replete with wallpaper. More involved and layered guitar sounds characterise Pound A Rhythm, where we witness instrument section Johnny Buckland and Guy Berryman nodding toward the exploration of Big Sounds.

Closing track Tetris sounds just like the opening track of Viva la Vida, underscoring a strange and delicious circularity that suggests we are all ultimately heading to exactly where we came from, dude, except with drums nicked from Bjorks's Hyperballad. There are moments of brilliance, but in order to notice them you need to make a conscious and controlled effort to make yourself forget that this is a band desperate to carve themselves a niche that they've not yet decided upon.

Coldplay are too Dad to be hip, too leftfield to be MTV, and too MTV to be Leftfield. Or not MTV enough. I'm not sure, which is it again?

:lol:

Has Damion started writing for psyreviews again or is it someone else now? I can't seem to access the site myself right now.

Well I assume he's writing again, based on the above...but ye I can't get the site to work at the moment either....here's the linky http://psyreviews.ne...nt/view/659/46/ to this review, but ye, seems to be down so who knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwws what's happening????????????? I originally read the review on another site, and thought i'd share it here too :unsure:

guys be careful how you share your opinion about this artist, there are people that adore him to a paris hilton level.

anyway, IN MY ONION, this is just an overated artist, can't blame the other guy cause i dont like anything from him and there's not much hype about him anyway, though huge credits for The Receptive and Evil & Harm, tunes that always make it on my sets :)

cant believe Skylon was released on the same label, no wonder Ott did a self-release with Mir

• 3 weeks later...

guys be careful how you share your opinion about this artist, there are people that adore him to a paris hilton level.

yeah I know, I used to be a HUGE Simon Posford supporter... With Shpongle and Younger Brother I feel he's totally flown off-track.

EXCEPT.. the God Particle EP is pretty fucking sweet. The rest of his recent shit is really really really weird and off-base if you ask me.

Oh well, thx for the TONS of music you made long ago that I enjoyed, Simon - uhh have a good future :P

If it were only instrumental, it'd be great.

Yeah I really couldn't get into the singing on this. I have nothing against adding vocals, but this singing just sounds too much like pop music you'd hear on the radio (the singing itself, not the lyrics) for my tastes. It just doesn't fit the music in my opinion.

It's still better than Infected Mushroom I guess, where they seem to be tone deaf or something ;)

You didn't like Ineffable...?

Ineffable is great but I just can't get past the fact that he's turned these projects into weird bands instead of focusing on the standard old posford magic in the studio. I keep pointing at Infected Mushroom, they've kinda done the same thing.

Well, in Psyshop they're in the 'psychedelic trance' category.

Go figure. everything is "psy" as long as the artists once made psytrance. Even prog. house is being promoted as psytrance and the artists still perform at psytrance festivals playing prog.house and some sort of techno/full-on'ish clone (I prefer real techno thank you). No wonder this scene is in a state of confusion these days :)

I listened to the new Younger Brother and well it's OK but seriously I don't think it's anything special. IMO there are similar bands out there way better at what they do. But from an artists point of view I understand them. It's always very nice to explore new grounds and I will argue that I rather see them make a somehow mediocre Jam Band album than repeating themselves eternally.

Well, in Psyshop they're in the 'psychedelic trance' category.

Well doesn't psyshop only have the 3 categories of Psychedelic trance, progress trance (:P) and ambient or did they fix that?

I got this and listened to it today and it's not a horrible album but then again it's not particularly good either.

One it sounds like soft pop rock and that is obviously not their forté. Some tracks are quite nice but some are abysmal (pound a rhythm is ear splittingly bad) but so much of this sounds like tracks on Last Days of Gravity. It sounds recycled and uninspired. I have nothing against them going in whatever direction they want but just rehashing the same music sucks :(

I'll give it more listens (doesn't take long as it's just over 50 minutes) but I doubt I'll like pound a rhythm <_<