top 5 over/underrated albums

Guest Mescalinium

What are your top 5 overrated and underrated/underappreciated albums? I personally chose not to include ambient/chillout albums for the sake of narrowing down my choices, but feel free to include them in your lists.

For me:

Overrated

1. Double Dragon - Continuum: I bought this on LP b/c I'd heard so many good things about it. Some of the arrangements and rythms are inventive, however, I find that very few of the sounds contribute anything to the song. It's as if it's being weird just for the sake of being weird, i.e. sacrificing musicality in exchange for the bizarre. For all you hardcore DD fans out there, I do really like his track "Fluffy Purple Thing". Just wish his album was more on that tip!

2. Toi Doi - Technological: the whole album is just way to repetetive and twisted without being groovy. Doesn't do it for me.

3. GMS vs. Systembusters: Good for about a week. Then I realized what formulaic crap most of is and how similar all the tracks sound. Not to mention the cheese factor. Matrix samples and a remix of the sacred Star Wars theme all on the same album? Gimme a break.

4. Midi Miliz - Antistat: I like a lot of psy-techno, but I guess this one is just too electro oriented for me. I could never get into that sound. I mean, I love The Delta, but this? Too monotonic.

5. Reefer Decree - Sound Frames: I do like this album somewhat, however, I don't think it's a minimal masterpiece. It has a couple nice tunes, but if you want to see minimal perfection, go check out Son Kite.

Underrated/appreciated

1. Union Jack - There Will Be No Armageddon: This is one of my favorite albums of all time and I believe its influence on psychedelic music over the last seven years has been immeasurable. I think a lot of psytrancers have overlooked this gem b/c it was released on a "commercial" label (platipus) or some other silly association of that sort. One must recall that early platipus compilations featured artists who are now considered firmly in the psytrance stable (e.g. Man with no name). In any case, this album for me is what trance is all about; a perfect combination of the synthetic and the organic.

2. Sonic Fusion - Confused: An oft-overlooked tribal classic that was released by Hadshot before they started putting out (how should I put this?) more conventional releases. Many have heard "Tribal Warrior" before, but numerous other gems await them on this album, e.g. Xxtatik Ritual, Eemotions, etc.

3. Medicine Drum - Supernature: Falls into the same category as #2 on my list. Very good early tribal trance along with some excellent chill out material. I've also seen them live, and they were excellent.

4. Biot - Saturation: An early break from the melodic norms of the time (1998). Very fast and synthetic sounding. Still sounds fresh today, and much different from other records released around the same period.

5. Transwave - Hypnorythm: While Transwave are obviously highly regarded, this "EP" (termed that despite its 60+ minute length) is often dismissed in comparison to Helium and/or Phototropic, yet it IMO it contains some of their finest material. Adoration to the Aum, Robostyx, and Hypersphere all sound great today, despite their astounding age (the album was released in 1995).

Underrated:

1. Double Dragon - Continuum! If noone talks about an album outside of the dedicated review page - I consider it "underrated" ;) The beats/sounds are just amazing.. The "Spiked" bass sound is no.1 for me.

2. Midi Miliz - Antistat ;) Hypnotic pleasure...

3. Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet.. the best morning album ever, IMO. Well, the production could've been better on some tracks, but anyway...

Overrated:

1. All Infected albums.. that's what I call stuffing samples/FX and stacking melodies without much thinking.. just my opinion, tho. The worst thing is that to me the Infected albums are only kewl on first 10-15 listens. After that, when I actually can "sing" every part and "follow" the percussion lines in every detail, it becomes really boring. On the other hand, Hallucinogen/Shpongle only becomes better: even after 100 listens I find something new in the way the percussion/effects are used, etc. Strange indeed, cause on FIRST listen IM tracks are just stunning!.. again, that's just my opinion.

2. Atmos - Headcleaner. Don't know why, IMO it just doesn't deserve the hype.

3. Etnica/Pleiadians albums.. they're good, but not THAT greate ;) actually what frustrates me is that they always manage to spoil a track with some cheesy out-of-tune sound or melody, which just doesn't fit.. and they always use the same sounds in ALL tracks.

overrated:

- atmos - headcleaner (boooorriiinng...)

- astral projection - (I don't even know how to start complaining... 4 albums with the same sound?!?!?!)

- infected mushroom (especially bp emipre, the other two I like very much, but they're not definitely the best psy-trance albums)

- x-dream - radio (only few tracks there are super (1,2,3&4) and the frog sucks big time!!!)

- hallucinogen - twisted (I think the lone deranger is MUCH better, though I understand it's sentimental value)

underrated (they have good reviews, but only few people know them - just compare number of reviews for infected mushroom and orion :)

- koxbox - all albums (weird psychedelic experience)

- orion - metamorpheus (acidy, stomping, wicked dancefloor tracks)

- process - one drop or two? (great hallucinogen influences)

- orichalcum/alienated (best acid/techno oriented psy-trance, yet still away from minimal music)

Guest --== MiLeS ==--

Overrated:

- IM : BP Empire (first 2 are still great)

- Shpongle : Tales of the Inexpressible (Are U Shpongled?... is my all time fav)

- Etnica : Nitrox and Chrome (Just another minimal artist nowadays)

- AP : Another World (copycat syndrome)

- Absolum : Wild (chosen a path in psytrance I don't dig at all: ugly and hard)

Underrated:

Sandman : Witchcraft

Spirit of Dawn : Spirit of Dawn

Medicine Drum : Supernature

Eat Static - In the Nude

Shaolin Wooden Men : Supermindway

Guest Mescalinium

Obviously determining something as vague as "overrated" or "underrated" is subject to wide interpretation. In basing my choices for overrated, I picked albums that had overwhelmingly positive reviews from this site, in addition to the opinions of some friends and acquaintences. As for underrated/appreciated, they were mainly personal choices which I feel have not gained as much recognition as they should. Again, using the reviews as a reference, you will see the number of reviews for these albums are vastly incommensurate with the previous category.

Guest trancer

to Que: Etnica/pleiadians uses the same sound in every track???perhaps you have the stereo on repeat??

Overrated: atmos, infected, dark soho and psy sex

underrated: transwave phototropic and hypnorhtym EP, deedrah and chi ad

underrated : -Psy-Sex ... (were do you hear these sound's else but in there music ... good answer NOWHERE ... innovative artist's !!!

- infected's BP-empire ... what compositions !!?!! (it's so ... RIGHT)

- cosma ... just listen

overrated:

maybe GMS imo... but it is hard to say that something is overrated...

easier is...

underrated:

Bp Empire indeed! Why are people so afraid of changes? It would be stupid if Infected made 3 albs all in the 'Gathering' style... and what about FUN in making music for these Isra-alien guys??? isn't this the big essence? instead of making music only because you know people will like it? like that psytrance gets commercial...and déjà vu!

I.M. knew the BP Empire album would be a *shock* for some fans... But why pretend and go on making the same stuff with similar sounds and melodies all the time, if what they WANT is to bring out progression?!

fans come and go...

Etnica / Nitrox... same as above!

Etnica has been making verrrry good melodical stuff... I don't question that... But now, they've been making it for a verrrry long time to!!! I respect the enormous (=> I know!) change in their style... They probably needed change after all these years... Wouldn't you?

and above all that... I just love the way they sound now! To be totally honest... I listen to Nitrox every day... It is extremely powerfull and makes me happy everytime I put it on... and I mean it when I say that it's one of my favorite albums ALL TIME.

and... I am still waiting for the first Belgian DJ to spin Robot rebellion (mix), Nitrox or Small Doses... please????? It would make me sooooo happy!!! :)

i just got the two albums of OOOD some days ago and i think they are brilliant. i don't know anything about these guys but they don't seem to be very well-known. in my opinion they are underrated because they really rock!

• Like 1

Guest peaceful warrior

I agree with Kadafi. For me it is hard because I love psytrance and I am extremely flexible in my taste. For me, I almost always enjoy any psytrance cd if I approach it whith the right state of mind. That is not to say that I don't think some are better than others but only that it is harder for me to judge. It is so complex, but I will try. Overrated for me are: Well no group that I know of could I say is overrated. Nothing that is highly regarded would I dissagree with. At least at this time. As for underrated: I have to say that one album that really has not recieved the recognition it deserves is Quirk- Machina Electrica and Fornax Chemica. This is a very original album filled with innovation. Its' sound is fun and unique. Somepeople may say that it really isn't psytrance but that is true only if you have a closed idea as to what psytrance is. It isn't typical psytrance and that is one of the reasons it is so good. Mark Allen and Tim Healy have brought some really fresh sounds into this creation. I love this album. Next..I think that despite the recoginition that Infected Mushroom have recieved I still must say that they are underrated. There are so many people that have bad things to say about them and their music. Certain albums and songs in particular: B.P. Empire and the song Devil (final mix) for example. These guys are so talented and they have put out alot of music and it is consistently awesome music. These guys are sooo good it would be hard to overrate them. The same goes for Etnica/Pleiadians. They have put out so much music and it is consistently good. There are some others but I am tired of writting for now.

Hey Mescalinium, I find your opinions to be biased and long winded, What a jerk. Oh by the way the last tape came out nicely, i am joking by the way, and i'll tag up with you saturday at some point.

Peace out Brother,

NMF

Overrated :

all atmos stuff

all xv kilist stuff

all bitmonx and miniamlist crappy @!#$

all albums that are coming out theses days

Underrated :

tandu - multimoods

hallucinogen - lone deranger

cosmosis - synergy (most people prefer the first album)

mystery of the yeti compilation (thirteen crystall skulls is very much popular event is it worst)

sorry kadafi ... ;)

and for tomorrow : no ... i wont be coming :( ... it's a little to far for tomorrow )

think will stay home and have i nice psychedelic evening in limburg :)

but next time ...enough parties to come !!! ( en maar goed ook ;)

hOoooooi .... :)

JanUa 3ô

Yea i gotta agree that the Koxbox sound is just awesome! Dragon Tales has such nice production and they always use such pleasing sounds to the ears... very sensual experience their music is for me...