psy and goa musical scales

Overture8

when listening to psy and goa i have noticed that as well as the usual western musical scale, other ones are used which sound eastern or from other cultures (e.g. Israeli trance has the feel of music from that part of the world, Egypt has the feel of the pyramids, some has an Aztec feel). What are the prefered alternative piano tuning scales used in conjuction with western ones? They really sound good together. Thanks :D

Don't confuse scales and tunings. Most "eastern" sounding scales you hear are done on standard 12-tone equal temperament tuning. I'd be surprised if more than a few obscure songs used actual alternate tunings.

Thanks Veracohr :D , so what can be done to the sound to make it eastern sounding...is it just a question of cents detuning on one or two of the oscillators...taking that the oscillators are set to standard waves and not eastern samples?

Thanks Veracohr :D , so what can be done to the sound to make it eastern sounding...is it just a question of cents detuning on one or two of the oscillators...taking that the oscillators are set to standard waves and not eastern samples?

I'm probably not the best one to answer that, I'm not very good at the whole "eastern" feel myself. A quick search suggests trying harmonic minor, "Hungarian minor", or pentatonic scales.

You can of course try Asian or Arabic tunings, but how easy it is to use those probably depends on what kind of song you're making. The more tonal layers you have the harder it would be to get those tunings to fit. As a page said that I found in my search, "Traditional eastern music is strictly monophonic, which means that it uses only melodies, and it can easily support the inclusion of intensely dissonant microtonal intervals."

I'm probably not the best one to answer that, I'm not very good at the whole "eastern" feel myself. A quick search suggests trying harmonic minor, "Hungarian minor", or pentatonic scales.

You can of course try Asian or Arabic tunings, but how easy it is to use those probably depends on what kind of song you're making. The more tonal layers you have the harder it would be to get those tunings to fit. As a page said that I found in my search, "Traditional eastern music is strictly monophonic, which means that it uses only melodies, and it can easily support the inclusion of intensely dissonant microtonal intervals."

Brilliant Veracohr :D Thanks again, you've definately given me useful information to look into. I tried to play along to some psy or goa, and found that i was not in tune with the music, and so i wanted to know why. Also, i am interested in the psy and goa music's ability to make people spiritually aware through the way it sounds...and the amazing artwork people come up with to accompany their music.

Also, i am interested in the psy and goa music's ability to make people spiritually aware through the way it sounds

I would disagree with that comment. The music has no inherent ability to make people feel any particular way, it all depends on the listener. Someone who is spiritually inclined may have spiritual feelings listening to music that was created by non-spiritual people, and vice versa.

I would disagree with that comment. The music has no inherent ability to make people feel any particular way, it all depends on the listener. Someone who is spiritually inclined may have spiritual feelings listening to music that was created by non-spiritual people, and vice versa.

Yes Veracohr, i agree with you.

The most frequently used scale, the one that makes tracks sound 'eqyptian like', is the Phrygian Dominant Scale (also called spanish gipsy scale). But it's not the scales that make the music, it's the 'feel' of the music, the atmosphere. So i say: experiment as mutch as you can with scales, makes the music interesting :)